6.8 SPC Forums banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Ham radio can be heard all over the world, for better or worse. Sometimes it is the only way information can get out to the rest of the world about a totalitarian regime. More often it is used to build relationships in far off places. It can be the only form of communication in natural or man-made disasters. The late King Hussein of Jordan, an avid HAM radio operator (call sign JY1), valued the importance of communication and diverse opinions. The Late King knew information rulers receive is filter. Whether it's for political gain or simply nobody wants to upset the King. Hussein would seek candid conversation with normal people, HAM radio allowed him to do this.

·
Registered
5,603 Posts
My other hobby is Ham radio (just as expensive as guns).

Under the FCC rules encryption or covert language is illegal, however in a SHTF situation that stuff dosent matter. There are some radio modes that are capable of encryption like DMR, which is a commercial digital mode Hams made work and it comes with encryption capability but nobody publicly uses it.

As others have mentioned triangulation is a issue and but with linking you can bounce the signal around to make it harder but not impossible to track. A safer method is to set a recorded message that transmits from a high location and if they find it they will just find a bunch of electronics.

If we did go commie they would go after the low hanging fruit. Obviously social media/internet would be first, then cell/land phone, second to last radio, then word of mouth.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Can you point me to something that contradicts my position?
Yes. I did already.
People I don't know show up as a suggestion on Instagram. Later I figured out I talked to 2 of them on Tinder.
This is not the only thing. Advertisements from text messages. Things I do not shop for online nor have looked up.

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
I recently switched to a de-googled phone. Its a good way to go. No tech giant spying and stealing info.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Umm so when you de-googled your phone you switched to something other than the Pixel 3 it shows you posted from? Google designs and builds the Pixel line of phones so it is as Google as they get. Even if you rooted the phone and put a non-Google Open-source version of Android on it the chipset and chips were designed and manufactured for Google.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Yes. I did already.
No, you simply made an assertion. Id there some other source besides your opinion you can point to? A news article, etc.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Umm so when you de-googled your phone you switched to something other than the Pixel 3 it shows you posted from? Google designs and builds the Pixel line of phones so it is as Google as they get. Even if you rooted the phone and put a non-Google Open-source version of Android on it the chipset and chips were designed and manufactured for Google.
Lineage OS, and MicroG to spoof google.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
No, you simply made an assertion. Id there some other source besides your opinion you can point to? A news article, etc.
Getting ads based on comments isn't an opinion. I see the left still visits gun forums.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Getting ads based on comments isn't an opinion. I see the left still visits gun forums.
What does your first sentence even mean? I simply asked you to corroborate your statement with something besides your opinion. You know, something like a fact or a reference, or something besides the voices in your head. If you can do that, I'd like to see it. If not, then it seems you are simply making things up.

As to your last sentence, couldn't be further from the truth, but it is interesting that you resort to that sort of response when you can't answer the question directly.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I know the words “iphone” and “secure communications” ....

Threema is an secure messaging app that seems very good. Combine with a VPN and that is about as secure as you can get. The person on the other end will need Threema as well. I believe they are based in Switzerland. To be fair I have a non-apple phone and I have not yet put a vpn on in with Threema. The app is less than 5 bucks. Don't use free apps. They are collecting your data. Free is not free, it is freedom expensive!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'd like to see websites like ours here taken off the internet & moved to VPN. Membership via invitation only via sponsoring by existing members. No website view or entry via google searches. Not perfect but a start....
Ahh... Reminds me of the good ol' days of Bulletin Boards and the local guy down the street was the server you logged into. That is still possible.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Yes, you should pursue alternate comms for SHTF.

No, iPhone and ‘secure’ are NOT oxymoronic. All the others might not be very secure, but the iPhone/IOS is pretty doggone secure.....UNLESS you configure it to be less secure, yourself. Signal is as secure as it gets for an app, AFAIK. There are other security measures and/or quirks that increase your security on the network.

You can do HAM with SDR.

SDR and some other transmitters can use DMR to other SDR/DMR receivers. Not necessarily completely secure, but not in the clear, either.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I simply asked you to corroborate your statement with something besides your opinion.
I get ads for things I do not shop for. Which is why this thread exists, and all the complaints of consumers exist. I use the app DuckDuckgo, and use their search as the default on Firefox. Mozilla is also on the left. On my iphone, a bunch of sites put a window not showing content saying disable your blocker to view content. I stopped using Safari.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I get ads for things I do not shop for. Which is why this thread exists, and all the complaints of consumers exist....
I have to agree. I and my wife both see advertisements pop up on our iphones almost immediately after mentioning something to someone else, either on the phone, or just sitting next to them in a restaurant. Information from our conversations is being sold without our permission, no doubt about it.

Reactions: Nick M

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
the encryption on most phones including the iPhone that use 4G and 5G is pretty much unbreakable unless you have the encryption key which is held in the HLR/VLR of the carrier. what you have to worry about is the federal wiretapping systems in pretty much every MTSO called calea which is how the .gov listens to your conversation (with a valid warrant of course....wink wink)

21 - 34 of 34 Posts