6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the words “iphone” and “secure communications” used in the same sentence creates an oxymoron. I have been looking for alternative approaches for secure communications as our government representatives along the coasts press ever further toward communism. We will need a means to communicate (buy/sell/trade) guns, ammo, food, supplies, etc. And the sooner we start building the small communities (which is the only means I believe we will survive), the better.

There are expensive phones out there that are very safe from hackers, etc., but when it comes down to it, your location is never safe with any cell phone nearby, by nature of how the cell towers work. I.e., In order for you to even get a signal, a tower needs to find your signal. The right person who’s looking for you can find that information if they know what they’re doing (e.g. hackers), or if they can hire someone who will do it for them.

When it gets right down to it, when shtf, and if they come after the guns, cell phones will need to be replaced by a different means of communication, such as hand radios, etc. In the meantime, I found a handy application you guys might be interested in, if you own an iphone as i do. It’s called “Wire”, and it’s a secure app that replaces text messaging, by encryption. It is used by corporate entities who wish to discuss trade secrets without fear of giving their secrets over to competition via hacking. But it’s free to individual users, and so far has not been breached by the government, since it has not been discovered to be in use by criminals.

I bring this up because, my brothers in arms, certain details of where our stuff is stashed should NOT end up on some list in Washington. And when you post here, obviously, we should consider certain details of our stuff to be confidential. But if someone needs to chat about something sensitive to someone else trustworthy, this seems to be a good application, at least for the time being.

Reactions: Guts

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Actually, for the most part, the phones themselves aren't as much of a problem as the operating system, e.g. Android, OS whatever (Apple), Microsoft OS, Blackberry, .and FireFox OS. Android is Google, so that is a no go. Apple, unlike others (Google,etc.) claims that do not sell or distribute user data, and they are quite stubborn about the integrity of the security of their phones (remember the San Bernardino shooting? Apple refused to assist the FBI is cracking the security on the shooter's phone). The other thing you don't mention is the carrier (AT&T, T-Mobile, etc.). That right there is where the exposure comes.

The app you mentioned may be valuable, but I presume it needs a password, and once the "group gets to be 3 or more it is a safe bet the PW will get leaked.

Check out Signal - way better rating than Wire.

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
I am heading towards learning ham radios and the use of encrypted comms. Seriously a conservative group can't even plan a peaceful rally because the leftist see what's going on and show up. Networking will be important and the fewer unwanted ears the better. Besides if the shtf cellphones will be useless anyway.

·
Registered
534 Posts
The use of any radio can be found with triangulation regardlessof frequency. Was done in Afghanistan to find the Taliban. Black ops receivers. Don't need to learn what you are saying to get a missile invitation. Your current cell phone pings your location constantly. You have to dump all electronics. Encrypting email might be the only thing left for a last resort.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I'd like to see websites like ours here taken off the internet & moved to VPN. Membership via invitation only via sponsoring by existing members. No website view or entry via google searches. Not perfect but a start....

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
Ten Rounder you are correct about triangulation thus you have to account for that and keep things short and sweet. I am actually kinda referring to a situation where power would most likely be interrupted and cellphones would not work due to no towers or the possibility of government shutting the towers down. Communication is just one more thing to add to a prepper list. Small ham radios are relatively inexpensive and throwing an antenna into a tree will help with range.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I recently switched to a de-googled phone. Its a good way to go. No tech giant spying and stealing info.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
My wife just barked at me for unrolling all of the tin foil and mooshing it into the shape on a hat.....

·
Registered
2,135 Posts

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Relentless Strike is a good book if you want to see what mil/oga was using 15yrs ago. You can extrapolate from there. You won't like where you end up.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
I recently switched to a de-googled phone. Its a good way to go. No tech giant spying and stealing info.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Except your carrier

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I am heading towards learning ham radios and the use of encrypted comms. Seriously a conservative group can't even plan a peaceful rally because the leftist see what's going on and show up. Networking will be important and the fewer unwanted ears the better. Besides if the shtf cellphones will be useless anyway.
I got my ham radio license about 3 years ago. I have to admit I never use it. I had planned to “practice” using the handheld for building some relationships with others, but there are rules using amateur frequencies, such as, don’t try to sell stuff, identify yourself (call number) every so many minutes, you can’t talk to anyone who doesn’t have a license (this leaves my wife, family, & personal friends out, mostly). But under a crisis, I’m not thinking these rules are gonna matter. Furthermore, I bought a few radios of the same type to distribute, and they are programmable to skip channels in synch as you communicate, which is a function I like.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I think ham radio or cb radio would be the only thing to do it a “black out”. I have considered this numerous times.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
In general I think the ham thing in a great idea. Having skills before you need them is always good. Myself and 2 sets of inlaws are in hurricaine areas. In a total collapse, you'd be all set. One of my bro-in-laws has started the process, has some gear etc. I have it on my list.

But if your intent is covert HF comms I'd study real hard, read any doctrine you can, on Radio Direction Finding (or just DF). This is tech that was used from WW2 forward to root out resistance forces or figure out where the enemy's command nodes were. If the Soviets were looking for a team behind the lines, their doctrine was to destroy A GRID SQUARE around where the emission came from (1000m x 1000m). That means you have 60-90 seconds from transmission to you better be in a hole or several hundred meters away. There are techniques to try to reduce your signature, but in the end your still shooting something that has scatter into the atmosphere.

Not trying to crash the thread, just adding some food for thought.

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
My thoughts are not about the government hunting people down in a survival end of the world as we know it situation. It's local communication. I have done enough outdoors activities to know that most small radios are way over estimated on their range. CB radios are better and I have talked to people several states away using skip at times. We had a ice storm a number of years ago and the only thing that worked for several days was the landline telephone service. Cellphones didn't work and power was out for a couple weeks at my location. Power service is always the first thing to go.
Back to the cellphone security issue though. I don't believe there is much security there. I don't worry about it much though due to the fact I am not planning illegal activities. I don't think the world is coming to an end anytime soon, but it is my responsibility to ensure the safety of my family. Sorry about the hijacking of the thread,but communications is part of any preparedness plan.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My thoughts are not about the government hunting people down in a survival end of the world as we know it situation. It's local communication. I have done enough outdoors activities to know that most small radios are way over estimated on their range. CB radios are better and I have talked to people several states away using skip at times. We had a ice storm a number of years ago and the only thing that worked for several days was the landline telephone service. Cellphones didn't work and power was out for a couple weeks at my location. Power service is always the first thing to go.
Back to the cellphone security issue though. I don't believe there is much security there. I don't worry about it much though due to the fact I am not planning illegal activities. I don't think the world is coming to an end anytime soon, but it is my responsibility to ensure the safety of my family. Sorry about the hijacking of the thread,but communications is part of any preparedness plan.
No highjacking done, afaic.
This is all important stuff to consider.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Apple, unlike others (Google,etc.) claims that do not sell or distribute user data,
A strange thing happened. People I don't know show up as a suggestion on Instagram. Later I figured out I talked to 2 of them on Tinder. There was no other communication. Apple in fact, sells or gives away everything. Not using electronic devices is the only thing you can do.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Apple in fact, sells or gives away everything.
Nope - don't think so, not when it comes to personal info. Can you point me to something that contradicts my position?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts