6.8 SPC Forums banner

21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
819 Posts
We got power back last night along with phone and water. Life is getting back to normal now. Not so much to our neighbors across the Sabine River though, they are hurting pretty bad.

·
Super Moderator
21,745 Posts
Good to see you're back to raisin' hell once again. Hope to be hearing from Shrxfn soon.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Yeah, I think he is from the SW corner where most of the damage has been done. Hope he is ok too. I'm sure he has more important things to do than surf the net right now.

·
Super Moderator
21,745 Posts
Oh, I know and understand that... the sooner we hear from him, the less grief he's going through.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I was on Ft Polk when the storm hit. We lost power at about 4:15 am. The room I stay in a the apartment I was in, is on the north side of the building, It was raining so hard and sideways that it sounded like someone had a garden hose with a nozzle on it was standing outside the window and was spraying it as hard as they could. The apartment is on the first floor with a second floor patio above it. the rain was hitting the patio slider so hard it leaked 2 feet into the living room. I have Verizon and had cell coverage until 4:40 pm (long after the storm passed) and then lost coverage for the next 30 hours. I went out on Ft Polk for a drive. There must have been 200 power line poles snapped like tooth picks, power line were down everywhere. They did open two on post gas stations / shoppettes (after 24 hours), but ran out of gas in a couple of hours. They got an emergency load of fuel in late in the night, they had lines of vehicles for almot 24 straight hours, all I wanted was a cup of coffee, but that took 24 hours to get. I had my own food, but the GIs had no facilities open to get any chow for more that 48 hours that I know of, (at least that was what I was told at the shoppette). I guess they would be issued MREs. We did have water and the toilets worked. I left Saturday morning to come back home. I just got an email from someone on Polk, so they must have partial power back on. There are trees down everywhere as is the norm for a hurricane.

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
We got power back last night along with phone and water. Life is getting back to normal now. Not so much to our neighbors across the Sabine River though, they are hurting pretty bad.
Glad you got power. amazing who much different the world is without A/C

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I was on Ft Polk when the storm hit. We lost power at about 4:15 am. The room I stay in a the apartment I was in, is on the north side of the building, It was raining so hard and sideways that it sounded like someone had a garden hose with a nozzle on it was standing outside the window and was spraying it as hard as they could. The apartment is on the first floor with a second floor patio above it. the rain was hitting the patio slider so hard it leaked 2 feet into the living room. I have Verizon and had cell coverage until 4:40 pm (long after the storm passed) and then lost coverage for the next 30 hours. I went out on Ft Polk for a drive. There must have been 200 power line poles snapped like tooth picks, power line were down everywhere. They did open two on post gas stations / shoppettes (after 24 hours), but ran out of gas in a couple of hours. They got an emergency load of fuel in late in the night, they had lines of vehicles for almot 24 straight hours, all I wanted was a cup of coffee, but that took 24 hours to get. I had my own food, but the GIs had no facilities open to get any chow for more that 48 hours that I know of, (at least that was what I was told at the shoppette). I guess they would be issued MREs. We did have water and the toilets worked. I left Saturday morning to come back home. I just got an email from someone on Polk, so they must have partial power back on. There are trees down everywhere as is the norm for a hurricane.
Is why God made Grainola bars and tiny wienie cans. Hope you get full normal soonest

·
Registered
166 Posts
I was just working down there for a JRTC rotation. I always keep at least two days of food and water around on these trips. I planned ahead and had a full fuel tank and plenty of snacks. I'm back home in Ohio now. Going back to Ft Polk on the 10th. It will be interesting to see how much they fixed while I was gone.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
I was just working down there for a JRTC rotation. I always keep at least two days of food and water around on these trips. I planned ahead and had a full fuel tank and plenty of snacks. I'm back home in Ohio now. Going back to Ft Polk on the 10th. It will be interesting to see how much they fixed while I was gone.
I'm not sure what is worse... a hurricane or a JRTC rotation

·
Registered
4 Posts
It got bad here. A lot of folks (myself included) thought Rita in ‘05 was the worst we’d ever see. This is by far worse than Rita. Thankfully we didn’t have the storm surge they were predicting. It’ll be at least another 2-3 weeks before we have power back in my neck of the woods/swamp. SWLA, 30 miles from the gulf, 15 miles from Texas.

·
Super Moderator
21,745 Posts
It got bad here. A lot of folks (myself included) thought Rita in ‘05 was the worst we’d ever see. This is by far worse than Rita. Thankfully we didn’t have the storm surge they were predicting. It’ll be at least another 2-3 weeks before we have power back in my neck of the woods/swamp. SWLA, 30 miles from the gulf, 15 miles from Texas.
Sorry the hit was bad, glad to hear you're ok.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Wow, you were in the worst part. I just got word Alexandria is back to half power, Leesville is still out and Ft Polk is at about half power. I will be back there on Thursday. Gods speed to you and yours.

Reactions: 270

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Hey guys its been a busy few days here. We didn't get hit that bad here but I rolled out to Brookhaven,MS with the family on Wednesday when they said it hit Cat 4. We got back that Friday and it was a mess here. We didn't get the flooding as bad as we thought but the winds did a number on everyone here. Power poles were snapped in Welsh and trees were down everywhere around here. I had a small generator that my neighbors hooked up for us on Thursday when everything had passed and we managed to make it home that Friday. After getting things kind of in shape I went to Lafayette and found a better generator at Costco to run more of the house. Luckily I found a portable AC in Lafayette at Home depot so I was able to split the family up into 2 rooms to sleep in AC at least. It really sucks to have to work outside in the heat and then come inside and it is still sweltering hot. My Kamado grill got a workout last week I was grilling everything to try and keep the house cooler. We finally got power late on the fourth. it was huge and made life way more bearable. Been trying to get the yard mowed to keep down the skeeters but because mine blew up right before all this happened I have to borrow a neighbors and it hadn't been mowed for a while so that was a ton of fun.

Now because of our proximity to Lake Charles a ton of people are stopping here to shop and our local Wally World can't keep food in stock it is like it was when the Roan virus first hit and everyone was hoarding food.

We were very lucky and my prayers go out to those in Lake Charles and further West who really got hammered. Lake Charles was my weekend shopping getaway and all the places we liked to go seemed to have been destroyed.I don't think it will be the same for some time.

It is also very eery that this year seems to be mimicking 2005.

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Feel for you, brother. Last hurricane that hit Rockport......30 miles north of Corpus, knocked out power for 10 days. My spoiled parrot gets pissy if temps go over 78 degrees. And, the skeeters were humongous and very hungry. Only good thing was they got so damn big, I could hear them coming in and duck out of the way.
Me and the parrot were very relieved .......when the ac came on again.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I just got word that Ft Polk, Leesville and Alexandria all have power back on.

·
Super Moderator
21,745 Posts
Hey guys its been a busy few days here. We didn't get hit that bad here but I rolled out to Brookhaven,MS with the family on Wednesday when they said it hit Cat 4. We got back that Friday and it was a mess here. We didn't get the flooding as bad as we thought but the winds did a number on everyone here. Power poles were snapped in Welsh and trees were down everywhere around here. I had a small generator that my neighbors hooked up for us on Thursday when everything had passed and we managed to make it home that Friday. After getting things kind of in shape I went to Lafayette and found a better generator at Costco to run more of the house. Luckily I found a portable AC in Lafayette at Home depot so I was able to split the family up into 2 rooms to sleep in AC at least. It really sucks to have to work outside in the heat and then come inside and it is still sweltering hot. My Kamado grill got a workout last week I was grilling everything to try and keep the house cooler. We finally got power late on the fourth. it was huge and made life way more bearable. Been trying to get the yard mowed to keep down the skeeters but because mine blew up right before all this happened I have to borrow a neighbors and it hadn't been mowed for a while so that was a ton of fun.

Now because of our proximity to Lake Charles a ton of people are stopping here to shop and our local Wally World can't keep food in stock it is like it was when the Roan virus first hit and everyone was hoarding food.

We were very lucky and my prayers go out to those in Lake Charles and further West who really got hammered. Lake Charles was my weekend shopping getaway and all the places we liked to go seemed to have been destroyed.I don't think it will be the same for some time.

It is also very eery that this year seems to be mimicking 2005.
Thanks for sounding off when you could. Glad to hear you're ok.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Glad you made it out relatively unscathed. Where in the area are you?

21 - 40 of 61 Posts