6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this is about the most ridiculous thing i have ever seen in regards to taxes and some type of "gun control"

$25 on Firearms, 5 Cents per Cartridge — Seattle Levies New Tax

By Dave Dolbee published on August 14, 2015 in News
In a vote on Monday afternoon, the Seattle City Council unanimously approved new gun and ammunition taxes on sales within the city limits. The new tax places an extra $25 on each firearm and 5 cents on each round of ammunition sold. The council also passed an ordinance that requires mandatory reporting of lost and stolen firearms.
Directly following the vote, Seattle City Council President Tim Burgess said,
“Every day, the general public pays the enormous cost of gun violence. Gun violence is a public health crisis in our city and our nation. City government can and must pursue innovative gun safety measures that save lives and save money. As it has in other areas of policy, Seattle can lead the way in local solutions. A gun violence tax will give us revenue to provide broad-based benefits through research and prevention programs. Mandatory reporting provides the police information critical to investigations. I’m grateful for my colleagues’ full support for both of these measures.”

Therefore, the law-abiding citizens of Seattle are going to be taxed to pay for the crimes of the lawless actions of criminals. According to Burgess, the new tax is part of “…gun safety measures that save lives and save money.” However, he fails to mention how taxing gun owners will save money or lives. Make no mistake; this has nothing to do with saving money or lives and everything to do with taxing gun owners and putting legitimate firearm and ammunitions retailers out of business.
We all can easily deduce what will happen. The most successful firearm and ammunition retailer in the Seattle area is going to be the one that is just out of the city’s jurisdiction. The city isn’t going to save money and crime rates won’t reduce. Instead, the city will lose tax revenue from honest businesses and enact de facto gun control by limiting access to those residents who are unable to travel to buy ammunition or firearms for self-defense and penalizing others.
Sergey Solyanik, owner of Precise Shooter in Seattle, argued against the new tax and called the city’s numbers into question. Seattle’s lawmakers believe the city will collect between $300,000 and $500,000 in gun-tax revenue for its gun-violence prevention programs. “Basically, what the city has done is invented numbers,” said Solyanik. “Pretty much, all the numbers they have associated with this proposal are outright fake.”
According to Solyanik, based on past sales, the city will only generate around $80,000 from the tax. If the new tax chases businesses out of Seattle, or shooters turn to the Internet for their firearms and ammunition, those numbers could be much lower. As for Sloyanik and Precise Shooter, “My store will definitely have to move. It would not be economically viable to stay in the city,” he said, noting that there are only two primary gun shops in Seattle, but many more just outside the city.

However, Solyanik isn’t packing any boxes just yet. Lawsuits will certainly be levied against the city of Seattle and Solyanik may be the plaintiff. “The very first thing that is going to happen is that all the gun stores will have to file a lawsuit trying to stay this,” Solyanik said. “So while the court considers it, the law won’t go into effect.”
Unfortunately, in the lawmakers’ haste, they seem to have failed to account for these expenses. Regardless the logic, or lack thereof, that went into this tax being passed and whether the new tax stands or is defeated, everyone is sure to lose—perhaps none more than the firearm and ammunition retailers, and the public in general.
Solyanik believes his cheapest option will be to sue the city. If unsuccessful, his next cheapest option would be to move his store out of the city’s jurisdiction. Staying in the city would not be an option. According to Solyanik, if he stays in the city, he will go out of business under the stress of the taxes and the resulting competitive disadvantage.
For the residents of Seattle and the firearm businesses under the city’s thumb, there is hope. Washington State’s laws specifically forbid cities from making local gun control regulations. However, there may be wiggle room by making this a tax, but that will be for the courts to determine.
“There is a law in the state of Washington that says you cannot enact more restrictions on firearms than already exist in the state,” Solyanik said. “It is extremely easy to show that the only intent with this law is not collecting the revenue, but legislating on guns, and it should be easy for a court to see that this is illegal.”

·
Super Moderator
21,650 Posts
Yup, Seattle is second only to Frisco for the embrace of insanity. The left wing agenda lives strong here. Those voting "D" are fooling themselves when they try to tell us they're pro 2A.

The LGS quoted in that article is a new ownership/store, a couple of miles from my house. Haven't visited since it opened, the previous LGS which occupied that building turned into a den of liars as their business wound down. My final purchase with them left a bad taste in my mouth. I need to stop in and meet the new folks.

Hence the IC Zmbz next to my location identifier.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
An older idea with a newer twist, make it mandatory for all elected officials to serve a mandatory prison sentence equal to time served in office. Only stipulation to that would be they could be pardoned based off of their performance while in office or have time added to the sentence for the same. Most of the politicians nowadays have broken more laws and done more harm than the convicts locked up in our penitentiaries.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Does that include 22LR?

Not sure how a city like that can build a Boeing 787 Dreamliner. There must be a few with there head on straight like RD?

this is about the most ridiculous thing i have ever seen in regards to taxes and some type of "gun control"

$25 on Firearms, 5 Cents per Cartridge — Seattle Levies New Tax

By Dave Dolbee published on August 14, 2015 in News
In a vote on Monday afternoon, the Seattle City Council unanimously approved new gun and ammunition taxes on sales within the city limits. The new tax places an extra $25 on each firearm and 5 cents on each round of ammunition sold. The council also passed an ordinance that requires mandatory reporting of lost and stolen firearms.
Directly following the vote, Seattle City Council President Tim Burgess said,
“Every day, the general public pays the enormous cost of gun violence. Gun violence is a public health crisis in our city and our nation. City government can and must pursue innovative gun safety measures that save lives and save money. As it has in other areas of policy, Seattle can lead the way in local solutions. A gun violence tax will give us revenue to provide broad-based benefits through research and prevention programs. Mandatory reporting provides the police information critical to investigations. I’m grateful for my colleagues’ full support for both of these measures.”

Therefore, the law-abiding citizens of Seattle are going to be taxed to pay for the crimes of the lawless actions of criminals. According to Burgess, the new tax is part of “…gun safety measures that save lives and save money.” However, he fails to mention how taxing gun owners will save money or lives. Make no mistake; this has nothing to do with saving money or lives and everything to do with taxing gun owners and putting legitimate firearm and ammunitions retailers out of business.
We all can easily deduce what will happen. The most successful firearm and ammunition retailer in the Seattle area is going to be the one that is just out of the city’s jurisdiction. The city isn’t going to save money and crime rates won’t reduce. Instead, the city will lose tax revenue from honest businesses and enact de facto gun control by limiting access to those residents who are unable to travel to buy ammunition or firearms for self-defense and penalizing others.
Sergey Solyanik, owner of Precise Shooter in Seattle, argued against the new tax and called the city’s numbers into question. Seattle’s lawmakers believe the city will collect between $300,000 and $500,000 in gun-tax revenue for its gun-violence prevention programs. “Basically, what the city has done is invented numbers,” said Solyanik. “Pretty much, all the numbers they have associated with this proposal are outright fake.”
According to Solyanik, based on past sales, the city will only generate around $80,000 from the tax. If the new tax chases businesses out of Seattle, or shooters turn to the Internet for their firearms and ammunition, those numbers could be much lower. As for Sloyanik and Precise Shooter, “My store will definitely have to move. It would not be economically viable to stay in the city,” he said, noting that there are only two primary gun shops in Seattle, but many more just outside the city.

However, Solyanik isn’t packing any boxes just yet. Lawsuits will certainly be levied against the city of Seattle and Solyanik may be the plaintiff. “The very first thing that is going to happen is that all the gun stores will have to file a lawsuit trying to stay this,” Solyanik said. “So while the court considers it, the law won’t go into effect.”
Unfortunately, in the lawmakers’ haste, they seem to have failed to account for these expenses. Regardless the logic, or lack thereof, that went into this tax being passed and whether the new tax stands or is defeated, everyone is sure to lose—perhaps none more than the firearm and ammunition retailers, and the public in general.
Solyanik believes his cheapest option will be to sue the city. If unsuccessful, his next cheapest option would be to move his store out of the city’s jurisdiction. Staying in the city would not be an option. According to Solyanik, if he stays in the city, he will go out of business under the stress of the taxes and the resulting competitive disadvantage.
For the residents of Seattle and the firearm businesses under the city’s thumb, there is hope. Washington State’s laws specifically forbid cities from making local gun control regulations. However, there may be wiggle room by making this a tax, but that will be for the courts to determine.
“There is a law in the state of Washington that says you cannot enact more restrictions on firearms than already exist in the state,” Solyanik said. “It is extremely easy to show that the only intent with this law is not collecting the revenue, but legislating on guns, and it should be easy for a court to see that this is illegal.”

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Does that include 22LR?

Not sure how a city like that can build a Boeing 787 Dreamliner. There must be a few with there head on straight like RD?
Boeing build a new plant in Charleston to build the new 787 Dreamliner as well due to all the union crap and Seattle crap going on.

·
Super Moderator
21,650 Posts
Seattle is VERY business hostile. Boeing moved their corporate HQ to Chicago because of this long term issue. They also began building plants elsewhere around the country.

You will not find a Walmart within the city limits, nor will you find a Dairy Queen anymore (they closed down their Seattle locales).

According to the news report I heard... .22 ammo is to get a $.02/rd. tax. I have not heard of this having an effect on reloading components though.

·
Registered
571 Posts
I grew up in Seattle (now out in a burb). The politics there in Seattle make me sick... Screw them... Not going to shed a tear when they suffer more and more due to their own stupid ideas.

Yep, Boeing's moving out incrementally.

Seattle $15 an hour minimum wage. ~1.5k entry level job loss in the City. Surrounding area similar type job gain ~2k. Duh! Who would have predicted???

Billions on bike lane infrastructure while reducing existing auto lane miles.

A billion $$$ tunnel boring machine stuck for the last year and a half 1000ft onto a 8000ft tunnel. They ran into a mapped obstruction. Pathetic.

I vote with my $$$, I don't spend a dime there.

·
10,536 Posts
More than the NRA, looks like a joint suit by several groups bringing a lot of resources.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Seattle

Great seafood........ridiculous rain, an offshore fault line threatening giant tsunami, a volcano threatening to cook everyone, majority population of pinko liberals run amuck. Must be the seafood........

·
Super Moderator
21,650 Posts
Great seafood........ridiculous rain, an offshore fault line threatening giant tsunami, a volcano threatening to cook everyone, majority population of pinko liberals run amuck. Must be the seafood........
It's surely NOT the coffee. :a26:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts