6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friendly reminder to everyone as hunting and shooting season is fast approaching/here.

I took my wife out dove hunting this past weekend, our first outing to the field. She last shot her shotgun during turkey season and I personally cleaned and put her shotgun in the safe and it has sat there since April.
Her shotgun was placed into a foam, zipper type case for transport, same as always. We loaded her up and we began to hunt.

Shortly after she set the shotgun on the tailgate for some reason or another and the muzzle was pointed in my general direction. Not at me, but towards my direction. I eyed the muzzle to see exactly where she left it pointed and give her a reminder about muzzle awareness, when something in the bore caught my eye. I immediately walked to the truck, unloaded and cleared the bore.

A small desiccant bag, I’m assuming from the interior of the case had made its way into the bore. This case isn’t new and it has carried her shotgun in the same fashion dozens of times before, but this time the desiccant I didn’t even know was in there had made its way directly into the muzzle.

Thankfully no dove we’re flying yet and I saw the blockage before the first shot.

We had a great rest of the day and shot a special white wing season limit.
Stay safe, everyone.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Thanks for the reminder that unexpected stuff just happens and we should alway pay attention to our firearms. To be honest, though, what I really want is a similar story that ends with "so that's when we found the missing PET SNAKE!"

·
Registered
160 Posts
Good catch! That could have been an issue, thankfully it wasn't.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts