6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
2,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now, this ain't no sh*t,,,all sea stories begin with those words.

in lovely Dong Ha, monsoon season, red mud more than ankle deep. i'm in a leaking squad tent working on a prc25 radio, when a runner rushes in and tells me Tyler is on EE8 and i need to see what he wants, Tyler is a L/cpl and I am a Cpl. but Tyler is at the company tent about 800 yards away. i get on the phone and tyler informs me to get my azz to the company tent right now, i am not a happy camper, i have to go get all my gear and trudge thru the mud, in the cold rain, to see wtf a L/cpl wants with me.

i gear up, cartridge belt, steel pot, flak jacket, M14 reversed to muzzle down, poncho,,,begin my trudge. get to the company tent and start to go in and Tyler intercepts me and tells me to "fall in", i proceed to tell him what a moron he is because how does 1 Cpl "fall in" ? LOL he just calls me to attention, and the tent flap opens, a really short man exits, he's wearing the saltiest herringbone utilities i've ever seen, they're almost white. his leather gear is brown (USMC had been black leather for years), leather pistol belt, leather holster, leather jump boots with the 2 buckle flap at the top, all brown leather. i know who he is instantly, it's Chu Lai himself, Lt. General Victor Krulak (we called him the Brute and his son later became Commandant).

so, there i stand at attention, looking like a sorry rag picker, and the Brute pipes up (he had a very high squeaky voice) and begins to read, "To all who see these presents, greetings. Know ye that reposing special trust and confidence yada yada,,,

anyway, the Brute promoted me to Sgt E5, and he really didn't look too happy about it

·
Premium Member
10,460 Posts
oorah!!!!!

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
I once saw a US Army draftee make sergeant E-5 in less than 2 years. Very unusual, I think they wanted to keep him. The Army normally insisted troopers reup before being considered for promotion beyond E-4. In those days (early '60s), leadership skills was not enough, one had to be spit polished to the extreme. - CW

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Interesting story. I always read where he was a Marine's Marine. Good writer too. I've read a couple of his books. First to Fight comes to mind. Most don't know he helped design the Higgins boats used in WWII after he watched the Japs land in China. He also worked to keep the Marine Corps around after WWII.

·
Banned
2,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i think Krulak and Chesty were cut from the same piece of cloth. He also was one of the authors of the USMC unconventional warfare manual. the Master Gunnery Sgt who was really my boss had served with all those salty old guys during WW2, in 66 he did his last re-up for 2 years, giving him 32 years of service upon retirement. there wasn't anyone he didn't know, and there wasn't anything he couldn't get done by simply picking up a EE8 handset and telling someone to patch him thru to his senior NCO and very senior officer network. and he always took good care of me LOL, and all his other snuffies too

·
Registered
6,732 Posts

·
Registered
6,732 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts