6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to put some sort of optic on my flat-top Stag.
I have used a few others on pop-gun 5.56 rifles where the bolt carrier slamming forwards has more energy than the recoil. A sort of forward recoil that some of the older cheap scopes could not handle for long.

Has anyone notice any problems with their scopes while using the 6.8 in the lighter AR platforms? It does seem to have a more noticable reoil impulse...

I need to buy some extra high Leupold or Tally rings the next time I drive up to the big city. Maybe I will just buy anotehr Leupold scope and not have to worry about it....

Silly subject, but it is snowing and blowing outside, so here I sit typing...

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
I never had any problems with using red dots and regular scopes on the 6.8SPC

·
Registered
441 Posts
When I got my new Stag 6.8 I mounted an old Burris on it using a set of Weaver rings and a YHM riser. I thought I had them tight enough but after 20 or so rounds I noticed that the scope was shifting back in the rings and I now had a thick hair-like object in my field of view. The crosshairs were also no longer perpendicular. I sent the scope to Burris to see if they will back up their lifetime warranty but I haven't heard from them yet. In the meantime I mounted a newer 6x18 Burris on it and have yet to test it out. I tightened this one down really good and I WILL have a torx wrench with me at the range next time :oops:
Never had a problem like this before with any of my scopes and it may be the quality of the rings. I couldn't get a set of the Warne QD rings I like from Midway when I placed my last order but I think I'll try them if I have another problem with the Weavers. Never thought about the bolt slamming forward issue/possibility. Think I'll call Burris this week :idea: .

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is not the mounts that can suffer, but the internal scope guts. And the zero of the cross hairs. As happened to Bushdog.
That is why they started making special scopes for high powered pellet rifles in which a large long spring slams a piston forward. They found that most of the older standard and less expensive scopes were take built to take recoil forces going forward. The high dollar scopes got away from that problem.
Since I am using Leupolds on 5 of my other rifles and only have one Burris (on my old 19650 Husqvarna lightweight 30-06) I guess I will stick with Leupold.
I gotta find a back-up rear sight someplace as well. I can't believe they did not include that with the rifle.

·
Registered
441 Posts
look guys the 6.8 has hardly any recoil impulse especially in a as gun compared to 99% of the hunting rounds out there. Any mainstream brand name scope will work fine. This is not a 300 win mag. A spring powered pellet guns are a entirely unique situation. Its not just that it has two opposing pluses it the timing of them thats it occurs at as well.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
300 win mag :lol: ..... the recoil was so strong on mine it shoved the retaining nipple in the scope ring through the scope ring base... I upgraded to stronger solid steel rings and then sold the rifle...

·
Registered
251 Posts
For 6.8 mm, use a quality scope that has proven to work in duty/combat use on .308 platforms and you'll have no trouble, ex. Aimpoint, Night Force, Leupold, Schmidt and Bender, Trijicon. Also, use quality mounts/rings--on an AR that means LaRue.

·
Registered
170 Posts
do not skimp on mounts and a scope. this is where alot of your accuracy is and stability.

You've got say 1200 or more in a gun why pinch a few bucks for something you may have to rely on.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Also, when placing a mount on the rail, always move it all the way forward on the rail slot. And Blue Loctite the mount screws.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Empty Brass said:
do not skimp on mounts and a scope. this is where alot of your accuracy is and stability.

You've got say 1200 or more in a gun why pinch a few bucks for something you may have to rely on.

True but there is no reason what so ever unless you are using it for work or real combat that you need to spend thousands of dollars on an optic and mount. All of the major brand scopes out there will work just fine for hunting for paper punching. Further if you do not need to take the optic off and on you don;t need QD mounts although they sure are nice. Sure if you have the money and want it get a S&B Short Dot for $3K and $200 on amount. But for most out there that don't need that level for a 1-4 scope that you don't spin the turrets on anyhow for shooting you can shoot jsut as fast and what not with even a $200 Millett DMS-1 with their Maxi rings or the burris rings for another $70 total under $300 jsut a little more then the mount alone would have cost. With the 6.8 many are purchsaing this gun for hunting and target shooting not always as a combat or defensive weapon and as such do not need to set it up with the same type of gear.

For 100 yard taget shooting I like to use a very high power fixed power scope. They are cheaper and with the shorter distance mirage is not an issue and the huge increase in magnification means I am sure I can aim at a point that is quite small to ensure the same POA. On my current HD CQB setup I use a aimpoint M3 in a LaRue setup as that my families life is on the line. I leave the AP dot on all the time as it still lasts for over a year, chambered safety on redi mag mounted next to my SW MP 45 and body armor. (Thanks goes out to DocGKR for helping me with what gear I needed and what brands worked best.) My general purpose setup uses a the 1-4 Millett DMS-1. If I had to pick a low cost all around setup it would be the Millett DMS-1 with the LaRue SPR-EE mount. Its a true 1x both eyes open setup. The illuminated red doughnut is bright enough for use in the bright sun light. The recticle is very very fast and accurate for close up and at range. A 10 MOA doughnut for CQB with a 1moa dot in the middle for accuracy and standard cross hairs that stop at the doughnut. You can make shots out to 500 with the dot and out to 100 and fast movers with it and the doughnut. Its cheap and durable. For testing ammo loads and going for smallest groups I use the highest magnification I can get. It has been proven many times that the more magnification with clear sight picture, the tighter the groups you will shoot. It goes back to the old adage "aim small miss small."

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
I am a firm believer in buying a quality affordable optic.. not an expensive , cost as much as another gun optic.... even for real work and combat use there are inexpensive dot sights/reflex sights/scopes etc...

I am using a millett zoom dot and a single heavy duty steel mount... I purchased the sight for 240.00 shipped and the ring was a display used on an aimpoint which cost me 20.00 ...

its on par with the aimpoint interms of ruggedness and durability... it just does not have comparable battery life at only 10k hours... however... its tolerances to heat and cold are greater and its submersed limit is greater as well... it is nod compatible and has a solid design to prevent knobs from breaking..... they were pretty close to landing a govt contract but they were beat out this time... they say made in america and carry an ironclad lifetime warranty....

I would possibly splurge on an IOR valdada 1.5-8x one day but I almost dont see the point when my leapers scope took repeated abuse from my .300 win mag and actually had of rings break under it... it may not take a bullet but sheeit

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Bolted on a Leupold straight 6 power (42mm) using warne tactical mounts.

I will see how she shoots if it stops snowing for a day or two.
How the heck do you post pics on this site? usually I can figure it out, I'm not that darn old...

·
Registered
170 Posts
That sounds like a great set up.

in your post screen us the IMG tab then put in your image link.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
in your post screen us the IMG tab then put in your image link.
Which means I need to get the pics posted someplace or another.

Sites like the Super Cub site have a member photo gallery. Ones like the Alaska outdoors site have some other way to attach a few pics evey now and then.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts