6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for advice on scope ring height for mounting a Leupold VXR 2-7x33 to a stock LWRC six8 spr. Have done this with bolt rifles and have always kept the scope as low as possible, but don't think it works that way with these. Primary purpose will be hunting big game. I'm considering nightforce ultralite 30mm rings. I'm thinking the medium rings would give approx 1/4" clear between the objective bell and the rail, and 1.06" from the rail to the center line of the scope. I've tried holding the scope in place at this height and it appears to shoulder ok without a bunch of movement needed to have a comfortable view thru the scope. Also, looking to keep the weight down if you have suggestions on that. Thanks.

GE68

·
Super Moderator
12,228 Posts
Due to there being no drop in the comb of an AR, if you put the scope low like you would on a Bolt gun you will not be able to get your head low enough to see it. I would recommend a one piece AR style mount that is set at the proper height and also cantilever it forward so you can get the correct eye relief. If the receiver is large enough that you can get the proper eye relief with standard mounts you will need extra high mounts.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Standard height of sight plane above the rail for an AR is 1.5" so that is what most one-piece mounts give you. Anything less than about 1.2" gets real hard for people with normal size heads to look through. 1.4" would be easy, perhaps even better, for most and 1.3" would probably be OK, too.

Here is my hunting set-up, a 3-10X42 mounted in an Aero Precision Ultralight mount:

·
Banned
2,342 Posts
1/2' riser and 1/2" mounts work for me

·
Premium Member
10,460 Posts
This is a Leupold mount with the same scope you are using:

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Or for $50 shipped from Midway and others you can enjoy rock solid 2pc mounts made by Nikon with the perfect height and forward positioning of the scope. No, they don't have six screws per mount to hold the scope because 2 work all day long every day. I have these on every MSR that I own and have never had any movement, including my 450BM's and my 358 Win. Save your money for ammo or reloading supplies.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/81...le-with-integral-1-rings-flat-top-ar-15-matte

·
Super Moderator
12,228 Posts
Or for $50 shipped from Midway and others you can enjoy rock solid 2pc mounts made by Nikon with the perfect height and forward positioning of the scope. No, they don't have six screws per mount to hold the scope because 2 work all day long every day. I have these on every MSR that I own and have never had any movement, including my 450BM's and my 358 Win. Save your money for ammo or reloading supplies.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/81...le-with-integral-1-rings-flat-top-ar-15-matte
I prefer the Nikon myself though I still use the one piece M223 instead but that is just me.

·
Banned
1,883 Posts
before aero prec. came out with their mount i used Nightforce rings (5.5 ish oz.). now i use Aero's mount, actually it is even lighter (3.3 oz.) and 1/2 the cost, also made in USA, great quality

you will need Xtra high if goin the NF route, height will be perfect. also, it will work for proper eye relief depending where your cheek weld is, however nose to charging handle (NTCH) or an inch or 2 from, eye relief will not be g2g.

this is the Aero mount you want:

http://www.graniteridgeoutfitters.c...0mm-Scope-Mount-Extended-Black-APRA210500.htm

heres some pics with leupold vxr 2-7x33 and NF Xtra High rings
1st pic scope is not positioned all the way forward
2nd pic it is

·
Registered
430 Posts
Re

I like this mount as opposed to the model that is extended because of better(wider) ring spacing on the Scope tube.
Less flex stress on the scope and still provides proper for and aft mounting for conventional position and not for nose to charging handle though.
Forget the toes ,this is with a Leupold vx1 3-9x40 to show what I mean about spacing on the rings.With the extended mount the rear ring is forward by an inch which is going to place the rear ring somewhere right behind the scope turret. While that would work I think the scope tube is better supported by the Regular mount.YMMV

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Gents!!! Considered everyone's inputs.... spent more time slicing rigid foam to represent various ring heights and strapped the scope to the rifle with each; ended out going with the higher sight plane and ordered the Aero Precision. Lots of awesome pictures. Thanks mucho...

GE68

·
Banned
1,883 Posts
Thanks Gents!!! Considered everyone's inputs.... spent more time slicing rigid foam to represent various ring heights and strapped the scope to the rifle with each; ended out going with the higher sight plane and ordered the Aero Precision. Lots of awesome pictures. Thanks mucho...

GE68
Con Mucho Gusto

ya ordered a 30mm one right?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts