6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was hoping you guys would help me with optics choices I haven't thought about yet. Looking for a scope for the new 300wm.

Criteria are needs to be light weight (I know that's hard with high power scopes), 20x or more, 50 objective, and prefer 30mm tube but isn't a deal breaker, prefer ffp but again not a deal breaker, preferably under $1000. This is going to be my new elk hunting gun, but will spend a little time on the bench testing the skills at distance.

ive been looking at the vortex viper HS LR 6-24x50, Burris fullfield E1 6.5-20x50, Burris Veracity 5-25x50.

The burris scopes are nice, but a little heavy. I do like the "tree" style reticals but i know those are rare. I'm not a big leupold guy but I'm willing to listen.

·
Super Moderator
12,228 Posts
Trijicon Accupoint 5-20x50.

·
Registered
696 Posts
I have a 6-24 vortex pst sfp on my 300wm i love vortex scopes. that said i have shot a couple trijicon accupoints and they are awesome also just the price deterred me

·
Registered
459 Posts
I have a 6-24 vortex pst sfp on my 300wm i love vortex scopes. that said i have shot a couple trijicon accupoints and they are awesome also just the price deterred me
+1 on the Vortex PST. I have several Vortex's and am very happy with them. I do not own one of the 6-24's but a buddy of mine has two...one on a 300WM and the other on a 308AR build...they are both the PST 6-24 SFP version, but Vortex does offer that scope with FFP. I often shoot those guns of his when we're out and I really like those scopes (and he is very pleased with them as well of course). My vote (for what it's worth) would be the PST over the HS-LR (mostly for the illuminated reticle and I prefer exposed adjustments...the PST has exposed windage vs capped for the HS-LR).

·
Registered
106 Posts
If weight is a primary concern, consider a fixed magnification.

http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-16x42-Tactical-Riflescope-P97187.aspx

16x42, great turrets, good reticle, good glass, great price @ $299. Only 18oz! 20x42 is 21oz.

That $700 savings is quite a lot of practice ammo, until you decide you need a $2000+ USO, Nightforce, or March. The below March is a 3-24x52 at only 24oz, with fantastic Horus-style reticle options which would be perfect for 300wm. You get what you pay for!

http://www.bullets.com/shop/brand_m...mm-scope?src=march&srcpath=/first-focal-plane

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I run a 6-24 PST on my 338 Lapua and really love it. Reliable clicks, great glass, and holds true. Eye relief is more forgiving than other scopes Ive shot, which is always nice if dialed in @ 24 zoom. I also run Zeiss, Leupold, Vortex, and Burris optics right now and am never afraid to recommend Vortex.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Thanks everyone. Couple points to hit on/respond to. I like the viper HS LR because the windage Is capped vs open. I like the "tree style" reticles because it allows me to adjust for wind without adjusting the scope, thus rarely needing to adjust the scope for wind. Having things capped while hunting big game in the Rockies is a plus! One less thing to worry about or break while hiking mountain sides.

Weight is a concern but with most of the scopes in this price range and magnification weighing about the same its not a huge decision factor. The vortex I'm looking at is only 22.4 oz so it's really not that heavy. The burris's are pretty much plus or minus 6 oz from the vortex. Saving 6oz to go with 4x less magnification, or get same magnification as vortex, weighs a bit more, but costs a few hundred less. If weight wasn't a concern, I'd slap a nightforce on and be done with it, but nightforce is not known for there light weight physique.

illuminated reticles are nice, but again one more thing to deal with on the mountain. It's why I've historically stuck to trijicon scopes. Some illumination, but no batteries to die.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Burris XTR II are awesome scopes. 34mm tube illuminated reticle. May be a bit on the heavy side though for your recommendation.

ive owned a Sightron SIII 6-24x50 and feel these are great scopes as well. Great glass for the price. Well under your price point giving you enough cash left over for a good set of rings and ammo. Don't skimp on rings imo.

http://www.bigsupplyshop.com/Sightron-SIII-30mm-6-24x50mm-25132_p_9650.html

·
Registered
4,582 Posts
I think on a 300 WinMag, for a relatively light-weight hunting rifle compared to one in a target configuration, eye relief would be a key discriminator on my list. I'd look for 4". My buddy hunts with a 300 WM and has gotten scope bit twice. I'm going to throw out some challenges, however. I hunt elk with a 2.5-16x50 Bushnell 6500. I've shot all my elk between 350 and 400 yards and I practice out to 700. I use a mil-dot reticle with a 100 yards zero and, at 12x, the first dot is 300 yards, 2nd dot 400, 3rd dot 500, 4th dot 600 yards and post is 680 yards. I prefer this over using turrets and taking time to dial-in hold over. I have found 12x is more than I need for an elk at 400 yards. I appreciate a light rifle and would go with a lighter scope instead of the higher magnification.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Why do you feel you need 20X magnification?

For a hunting rifle, Swaro would be my choice, hands down:

http://swfa.com/Swarovski-35-18x44-Z5-Riflescope-P47245.aspx

Under a $1K would require dropping down to a Z3, though:

http://swfa.com/Swarovski-4-12x50-Z3-Riflescope-P47244.aspx

Edit: I have and love my Vortex Vipers. I have an HS LR and PST, but the Viper glass isn't even close to the Swaro Z3. For hunting, I'd take a 10x Z3 over 20x Viper without batting an eye. Also, with the Swaro glass, you don't need the 50mm objective. Large objectives are mostly either a marketing gimmick or to compensate for mediocre glass. The Swaro's are crazy light, too, and the BRH is great for holdovers (go with the BRH over the BRX which is just too fine for the field)

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I don't need the high magnification for the final shot. Hell, I hunt whitetail with a 4x on my 6.8. I like the high magnification for spotting purposes while looking for the right elk. It keeps me from carrying a spotting scope or higher power binoculars.

Xman:
i agree eye relief is a must on bigger mag calibers. Eye relief is what has always held me back from owning more Burris scopes. Well eye relief and weight. I don't own any Vortex optics, but keep hearing great things about them, which lead me to start looking around.

Boilerup:
Id consider a 16x for the right price/weight. I love swaro's, my father has a few of them. They are great glass, and light, but at this stage in life I need to be a little more conservative with my choices and find the best bang for the buck.

Does anyone have have any experience with the leupold vx3i line of scopes?

·
Registered
804 Posts
I love my Vortex also.
Here is the 6-24 FFP with C2 recticle on my 300WM.

This tree line is 1890 yards away. And there is a 22" gong about 1 moa left and 1 moa down from center of crosshair.

Sent from my hiding place

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I love my Vortex also.
Here is the 6-24 FFP with C2 recticle on my 300WM.

This tree line is 1890 yards away. And there is a 22" gong about 1 moa left and 1 moa down from center of crosshair.

Sent from my hiding place
That at is pretty clear for being 1900 yards out roughly. I think I'm going to go with the vortex

·
Registered
20 Posts
I recently purchased a Leupold VX-6 3-18x44 with the TMOA reticle and have been very happy with it thus far. The glass impresses me and the light transmission impresses me. What sold me other than the glass was that it weighs about 20oz, has capped turrets, is non-illuminated, and has the reticle with MOA tics to do hold overs and hold offs with. After looking at a lot of other scopes I felt the VX-6 was my best choice for the money. It retailed for $1689 and I bought it for $1000 shipped.

I know it's not a 20x but felt it was worth mentioning. It is also available in a 50mm objective.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I recently purchased a Leupold VX-6 3-18x44 with the TMOA reticle and have been very happy with it thus far. The glass impresses me and the light transmission impresses me. What sold me other than the glass was that it weighs about 20oz, has capped turrets, is non-illuminated, and has the reticle with MOA tics to do hold overs and hold offs with. After looking at a lot of other scopes I felt the VX-6 was my best choice for the money. It retailed for $1689 and I bought it for $1000 shipped.

I know it's not a 20x but felt it was worth mentioning. It is also available in a 50mm objective.
Where did you find it for that price?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Try and see if you can look through an Athlon scope. They seem to be very competitive with vortex and have good reviews. I personally have two viper an hst and pst both 4-16 I have had a few problems with the hst glass clouding then clears up. It's only happened twice and has been good since. So I haven't sent it in yet. Now the pst has been great no issues. Another scope to look at is the vx6 Leupold somebody mentioned earlier they have great glass. I would proably just put on a 5-20 nightforce shv if I was you though. Can dial the turrets if need be has zero stop and capped. Can get it illuminated or no illuminated.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I ended up buying the vortex viper HS LR. I went to the store and handled a bunch of different scopes and in the end the vortex just felt right. I have a lot of Burris scopes because they are local to me, but they are heavy compared to the vortex. I really liked the leupold but ultimatly went vortex because of all the praise about their customer service lately.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts