6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

More noob questions. I finally have my flat top 6.8 finished, and I now want to top it off with a scope primarily for deer hunting purposes, but with recreational plinking possible. After reading several websites, inclding this one, I’m now completely confused to what I need. With a budget in mind, I found a Bushnell Trophy 4-12x40 for $90.00. Is this scope ok for less than $100.00? Can I do better in this price range? Do I have to have a riser, or can I use tall rings? If no to the riser, any guess to what height rings I need? Would Burris Xtreme rings be a good choice? Anything cheaper that’s similar in ruggedness/quality?

Ammo question- Is Hornady ammo with 110 V-maxs good for white tail? Price is ranging from $16-20. Are there better options concerning performance close to this price range. I have a 20” KO 1/11 barrel. Thank you for your time an input. BTW, most excellent board!

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
the scope will work
most people tend to like the scope pushed forward on an AR for better eye relief which requires a small riser with some forward real estate to put a set of rings on or a one piece riser/ring setup

in general you want the bottom of the scope about 1" off the top of the rail and a 1/2" riser with 1/2" high rings will do this or the one piece units do it, both of which put the center of the scope at 1.5" above the top of the rail, same height as iron sights

as for mounting recommendations there's a lot of options out there
a lot of people go for the $200 Larue or ADM mounts which feature a quick release setup
if you aren't going to be taking the scope on and off all the time then a one piece riser and since you are looking at $100 scopes I would imagine you are trying to stay under $100

as for ammo, Vmax would get the job done on a good heart/lung shot but might fragment and not penetrate reliable if they hit bone
I would suggest looking at SSA armory and the 110g Pro Hunter load

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ccoker said:
the scope will work
most people tend to like the scope pushed forward on an AR for better eye relief which requires a small riser with some forward real estate to put a set of rings on or a one piece riser/ring setup
I have an A2 stock. Would this have greater eye relief distance as compared to a collapsible stock in the “out” position?

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
leffing1 said:
ccoker said:
the scope will work
I have an A2 stock. Would this have greater eye relief distance as compared to a collapsible stock in the “out” position?
Believe it or not, collapsible stocks vary, but generally, if you put the collapsible stock in the last position, it will be slightly longer than an A2.

On the rings, I'd get rings that will put you 1.5" above the rail.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
If you want a 1 piece mount, take a look here for different options. If you want to use standard weaver style rings the YHM-9474 rail extension is a good option and allows you to use commonly available inexpensive rings. Scope height is personal preference, but I prefer the scope a little lower without ironsights. You really need to try one to find out; shoulder the rifle with your eyes closed, then open them. You shouldn't have to move your head to see through the scope, I prefer a centerline about 1.3" above the rail.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for the advice guys. I bought a set of Weaver X-tra high Grand Slams, and yes, the scope was too low. Low centerline and darn near impossible to get to the charging handle. Does anyone have an opinion on the new RRA Hi-rise mount? http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm? ... ory_id=385
I waiting on a centerline specs from RRA. Anyone know or have a guess? Thanx again!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey guys, I just received an email from Steve Mayer at RRA. The new RRA hi-rise scope mount(AR0130) is "1.685 inches to the centerline of the ring (if a solid) from the top of the M1913 rail". I know centerline is up to each individual, but should this mount($45) be adequate?

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
leffing1 said:
Hey guys, I just received an email from Steve Mayer at RRA. The new RRA hi-rise scope mount(AR0130) is "1.685 inches to the centerline of the ring (if a solid) from the top of the M1913 rail". I know centerline is up to each individual, but should this mount($45) be adequate?

That is very nice and it will work perfectly. Great price also.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Hey, just wondering how you like your Bushnell and mount setup? I'm about to be in your shoes of looking for a good but economical scope/mount combo (well, once those Xtremas start shipping). I was considering a Burris but if you're happy with your Bushnell...well, then I'll owe you one for doing the homework for me.

Thanks for your thoughts.

·
9,178 Posts
O.K. here is a definite noob question. What quick detach would be good to use with a leupold Mark 2. Mine has a flat top with a picatinny rail. But I ordered leupold rings. (And got just the rings so much for reading the fine print)So I would like to find a mount for around a $100 for the scope but want a quick detach. The RRA mentioned in this thread would be nice I know its not quick detach unless I have a screw driver with me. The Leupold rings are of there Quick detach system but you have to buy a two piece base for them and I don't know if the y would fit. If I can find out if they do I would use them. I also need it to be a high or an extra high mount. My BUIS is kind of tall.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
jamesb74 said:
O.K. here is a definite noob question. What quick detach would be good to use with a leupold Mark 2. Mine has a flat top with a picatinny rail. But I ordered leupold rings. (And got just the rings so much for reading the fine print)So I would like to find a mount for around a $100 for the scope but want a quick detach. The RRA mentioned in this thread would be nice I know its not quick detach unless I have a screw driver with me. The Leupold rings are of there Quick detach system but you have to buy a two piece base for them and I don't know if the y would fit. If I can find out if they do I would use them. I also need it to be a high or an extra high mount. My BUIS is kind of tall.
I was going to suggest the A.R.M.S.® #22™ Throw Lever® Rings (High), but since you have the high BUIS, that may be a problem.

·
9,178 Posts
Well lets go this way then. Since I botched up the scope mounts . I probably botched the rear buis. They are both still in the package so I could send them back. (another reason I love Midway so much) What would be a good combination for the rear buis and a scope mount with q.d. The front iron sight I can't do any thing about it is a basic post. I would like to keep these two items under $200.

·
9,178 Posts
just to add on. I like the rings you showed . Is there a BUIS that would go with these on a flat top?

·
9,178 Posts
for some reason I keep leaving out info. It would need to be 1" rings for the scope if that means anything.

·
9,178 Posts
Thanks for all your help. I will order them tomorrow. I like the leupold rings and the 40Lsp. And it stays in my budget. I really appreciate it. :D :D :D

·
9,178 Posts
Sent the wrong rings and the other BUIS back to midway. Ordered the Leupold rins and the 40lsp. The rings should be here tomorrow. and hopefully the 40l will be here in a week. Thanks agaion for your help. I can't wait for the weather to clear and get some trigger time.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts