6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that my question has probably been answered numerous times, and I've read numerous answers, but I haven't been able to find consensus in those answers. My question is - once I have the tax stamp approval for my lower, and have it engraved with my trust name, can I then pin ANY upper to that lower (be it 7.5" long or 20" long) ??? I realize that people are probably rolling their eyes and rendering obscenities in my direction, but I would really like to have a "yes" or "no" answer to this. Thanks to all for your patience. Gary

·
Super Moderator
5,753 Posts
Yes Gary you sure can.

You can swap out whatever you want on it shortest to longest.

Sent from a final firing position, the crosshairs are on you!

·
Registered
249 Posts
Yes Gary you sure can.

You can swap out whatever you want on it shortest to longest.

Is it true that you have to send a letter to ATF if you decide to use a different length barrel that is still less than 16"?

If you possess two short barrels, must you also have two registered lowers?

It is my understanding that both of those are true.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
5,753 Posts
Is it true that you have to send a letter to ATF if you decide to use a different length barrel that is still less than 16"?

No

No

and No

·
Registered
249 Posts
No

No

and No

Because your response is not legal advice, I will go look for confirmation. However, my whole weekend will be better now because I will assume you're right. ****, I need like 6 more SBRs now

·
Super Moderator
5,753 Posts
Because your response is not legal advice, I will go look for confirmation. However, my whole weekend will be better now because I will assume you're right. ****, I need like 6 more SBRs now

You can swap whatever you want on your registered SBR lower and have in possession whatever length upper you want and caliber for that registered lower.
The ATF does recommend you send in writing if you make a permanent change.

You can even take the short barreled upper off and sell it and sell your complete lower or strip the lower and sell it. You would want to send a letter taking that lower off the register if you sell it.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts

Recommended you send a letter but not required.

No. You can have multiple uppers and do not need to be able to put it back to its original configuration.

Your information is incorrect.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Recommended you send a letter but not required.

No. You can have multiple uppers and do not need to be able to put it back to its original configuration.

Your information is incorrect.
You and semi_cop are responsible for me filing for bankruptcy later this year.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I have 3 AR-15 lowers at my house. Only one of them is registered as an SBR. The other 2 have full-length barrels on them. If I have 3 uppers with short barrels on them, is that not risking getting hit with constructive intent?

·
Super Moderator
5,753 Posts
I have 3 AR-15 lowers at my house. Only one of them is registered as an SBR. The other 2 have full-length barrels on them. If I have 3 uppers with short barrels on them, is that not risking getting hit with constructive intent?

No it's not constructive intent.

Evidence in constructive intent would be, if you had a barrel less than 16" and a rifle lower with no other uppers, or all the parts to assemble an SBR with no other AR's whatsoever and no stamp.

You can even build a lower as a pistol first and convert it to a rifle and back to a pistol as you wish, when you wish.

If a lower has been originally constructed as a rifle it cannot be converted to a pistol or SBR for that matter without a stamp.

·
Registered
249 Posts
No it's not constructive intent.

Evidence in constructive intent would be, if you had a barrel less than 16" and a rifle lower with no other uppers, or all the parts to assemble an SBR with no other AR's whatsoever and no stamp.

You can even build a lower as a pistol first and convert it to a rifle and back to a pistol as you wish, when you wish.

If a lower has been originally constructed as a rifle it cannot be converted to a pistol or SBR for that matter without a stamp.

"originally constructed as"

Does this mean when you submit the 4473?

·
Super Moderator
5,753 Posts
"originally constructed as"

Does this mean when you submit the 4473?

How ever it was configured by the original manufacturer.

A stripped lower is not a rifle or a pistol it's a lower or classified as other on a 4473. They can not be sold to anyone under 21 by federal law, because a stripped lower can be manufactured into a pistol or a rifle. A person under 21 is not allowed to purchase a pistol.

If you buy a stripped lower and build it into a rifle, it can't legally be converted to a pistol.

·
Registered
249 Posts
How ever it was configured by the original manufacturer.

A stripped lower is not a rifle or a pistol it's a lower or classified as other on a 4473. They can not be sold to anyone under 21 by federal law, because a stripped lower can be manufactured into a pistol or a rifle. A person under 21 is not allowed to purchase a pistol.

If you buy a stripped lower and build it into a rifle, it can't legally be converted to a pistol.

I guess it doesn't matter how it was originally constructed anyway if I register it as an SBR.

·
Super Moderator
5,753 Posts
I guess it doesn't matter how it was originally constructed anyway if I register it as an SBR.

No it doesn't, because you paid $200 to convert it to an SBR and its placed on the federal register

·
Registered
249 Posts
No it doesn't, because you paid $200 to convert it to an SBR and its placed on the federal register

Last question: what do I buy next?!

277 Wolverine maybe

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
To add/clarify...

This holds true for all lowers, not just stripped lowers. Buying a complete lower with a stock is no different than a stripped lower. It's not a rifle without a barrel. You can buy a complete lower and still initially build an AR pistol. It's still an "other" on a 4473.

Same situation with a complete lower with a pistol buffer tube, even if the lower is engraved "Pistol" like some on the market. It's just an "other" until it's made into something else.

It's why you have to be 21 to buy a lower, whether stripped or complete...and be a resident of the state you're buying it, unless it's been shipped to a FFL in your state. Because any of those setups could initially become a pistol.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts