6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a wild hair hit me earlier today and I just had to get out of the house!! I grabbed the 12.5" SBR and a few boxes of SSA 110PH (combat loads) and took off in the direction of a range about an hour northwest of me. I met a very nice older fellow at the range that was VERY interested in my SBR. Even more so when he found out it was a 6.8!!

Well, our chatting turned to hunting and he told me about a "no fail" field he had on his property. My arm was twisted and we took off towards his farm. With a borrowed orange hat and vest, not dressed at all for the 20 degree temps, I took off towards the field with my "super soaker" as he called it... :lol:

With only minutes of legal shooting left and dang near frozen to the bone... Out from the end of this L-O-N-G shelter belt pops this one lone doe. I dropped to one knee, put the crosshairs of the Accupoint just a bit above her back and squeezed the trigger. Through the scope I watched as she dropped like a sack of spuds!!! :mrgreen:

(Sorry for the crappy cellphone camera pic. :( )

I knew it was a rather long shot, but never guessed I'd walk off 317 paces!!! From what I could tell, the 110gr PH punched both lungs and top of the boiler and I think I felt the bullet trapped just under the hide on the far side!! I'll know tomorrow when I get to skinnin' and cuttin'.

Constructor!!! Ya built me a REAL shooter!!! And Art... All the deer in my neck of the woods are now VERY concerned!!! :wink: Thanks so much to the both of you for making this happen!!! And also to everyone here at 68Forums!!!

I have one tag left and will be using my 18" rig to see if TWO cherries can be popped in the same season!! :lol:

·
Registered
7,444 Posts
That is awsome congrats on the doe.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Good shooting. Way to go!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Well done!

·
Registered
276 Posts
Excellent result on the doe, i don't want to put you under pressure ,but the next photo better have antlers and a lot of points in it :wink: :lol:

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
FB68 said:
Excellent result on the doe, i don't want to put you under pressure ,but the next photo better have antlers and a lot of points in it :wink: :lol:
That sure would be nice as I have yet to put a big bruiser on the wall. Unfortunately, due to unforeseen circumstances, the rifle season is about over for me and the new "hat rack" may fall to the muzzleloader or the bow.

I'm going to be leaving in a few minutes to drop off a box of meat for the land owner who allowed me access to his field. Hopefully I can secure that area for the upcoming black powder hunt and possibly next year to give the 18" rig a chance.

Thanks again for all the kind words!!

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
moose-hunter said:
... I felt the bullet trapped just under the hide on the far side!! I'll know tomorrow when I get to skinnin' and cuttin'.
Same exact situation on the Buck I shot with a 14" Cardinal barrel and commercial load Pro Hunter. Bullet was just under the hide on the left shoulder after passing through both lungs.

Maximum energy was expended in the animal...

Ya gotta love those Pro Hunters....

Kerry

·
Registered
7,444 Posts
Looks like the Pro hunter killed a bunch of game this year.....

I wish I would of connected on anything this year, only got a month and it was all bow hunting, didnt even see anything.

Dont feel that bad though, the deer kill is down 55 percent from last year and about the same for bear kill, there was like 8 moose tagged in NH this year..... last years winter must of devestated the herd.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
owenslee said:
Ya gotta love those Pro Hunters....
Kerry... You got thst right!!! Unless I can re-invent the wheel, the Pro Hunters my "go to" round for whitetail!!

On a personal side note...

When I arrived at this guy's house with my care package, I was met at the door by his brother. The land owner was up in bed sleeping. Seems this guy is quite ill and the doc doesn't give him too long to live. :( When I met him at the range, he seemed right as the rain. But from what I was told, those times will be getting fewer and less frequent as his illness progresses. I going to make some time next week for another trip up there and thank him again in person and see if there is anything that needs "doin'" around the farm.

I feel truely blessed to have met this guy. Not just for the hunting privilages, but from the short time we spent together, he seemed to be a very "true", "down home" type of person. A quality that I very much admire in today's crazy world. It's tough to explain...

Sure... I put a bit of meat in the freezer. But most of all.... I think I made a friend!! :D

·
Registered
7,444 Posts
That is excellent moose... I hope your new friend makes it through.

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
moose-hunter said:
owenslee said:
On a personal side note...

When I arrived at this guy's house with my care package, I was met at the door by his brother. The land owner was up in bed sleeping. Seems this guy is quite ill and the doc doesn't give him too long to live. :( When I met him at the range, he seemed right as the rain. But from what I was told, those times will be getting fewer and less frequent as his illness progresses. I going to make some time next week for another trip up there and thank him again in person and see if there is anything that needs "doin'" around the farm.

I feel truely blessed to have met this guy. Not just for the hunting privilages, but from the short time we spent together, he seemed to be a very "true", "down home" type of person. A quality that I very much admire in today's crazy world. It's tough to explain...

Sure... I put a bit of meat in the freezer. But most of all.... I think I made a friend!! :D
Moose-Hunter... You are a good man…

You sir, are the epitome of what separates the members of 68forums over all others that I frequent. You have an appreciation and respect for people...not just hunting...or firearms...but people. It is what makes the members of this forum special. You offer a willingness to show “Thanks”…not just verbally, but in your helpful actions.

We share a camaraderie on this forum that is akin to what many of us of us experienced in the military…and which some of us still do. It carries into civilian life as well with those of us serving the public as LEO.

But at the root of it all is a shared genuine appreciation for past and present “brother’s in arms”. Brother’s of our firearm culture. Your comments above are a shining example. You may not know a man’s past experiences…but because he is a shooter and hunter…there exists a bond that is too often taken for granted and not fully appreciated. It is a bond…often made under adversity…that we all should cherish…as it is rarely found in any other group of people.

We are unfortunately a “dying breed”. Fewer and fewer of us wake up every morning with decreasing numbers filling our empty billets. There will come a time in our grand children’s lives when the skills of shooters and hunters of our generation will be relegated to “past history”…to be recounted by younger descendant’s…but no longer enjoyed by them. Such a pity...

Too bad several of us could not come to visit your newfound friend. I’m sure it would brighten his day…and ours as well.

Kerry

·
Registered
646 Posts
Great thread Moose! Exciting adventure and heart warming friendship! Life doesn't get any better than that.

Well said Kerry--you are right-on Brother!

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I write today with a tear in my eye and lump in my throat...

I received a call last night telling me that my friend, Bill, had passed away. The cancer had traveled to his brain and put him in a coma for the past week and he just never woke up. His brother told me that Bill did not seem like he was in any pain and he left this world with a smile on his face.

After originally finding out about Bill's failing health, I was able to see him three other times before he passed. The last time up to the farm, his brother and I mended fences as Bill barked orders from the back of the truck. He was a tough old bird!! It was his way or the highway.

The world has lost a GREAT man in Bill. I can't imagine anyone who knew Bill was not all the better for it.

God speed, my friend!!

·
Registered
7,444 Posts
Sorry for your loss.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
sorry for you loss...
I lost a good buddy last week out of the blue, totally unexpected heart failure

it sucks

they are in a better place now though....

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
I find that the older I get there are fewer people I'm willing to call friend. It makes it that much worse when you lose one of those you can call friend. I'm sorry.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Looks good to me

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 21 Posts