6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen Savage advertising a 6.8, but there doesn't seem to be much info about it on their sight. Anybody have the inside scoop?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I read a very brief article online about it. The model is the MSR Recon LRP. 3 offerings in 22 Nosler, 224 Valkyrie and 6.8.
18” barrel, mid length gas system. They noted that the 22 Nosler and 224 are offered with an adjustable gas block but not the 6.8. Two stage trigger, tunable muzzle brake. Looks like the info came straight from Savage’s website, so probably not much more there than what you already know

·
Super Moderator
11,727 Posts
The 6.8s that are in stock at Sports South show to have an adjustable gas block.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Had the opportunity to check this out today at the NRAAM.
1:11 twist
Really sweet trigger
The bad news is it is not an SPC II chamber, it is the original 6.8 SPC chamber.

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
The bad news is it is not an SPC II chamber, it is the original 6.8 SPC chamber.
How was that verified? Seems Savage would be savvy enough not to but a flawed chamber in their rifles. Maybe best to call their support number and ask.

(413) 568-7001 or (800) 370-0708

·
Registered
90 Posts
Had the opportunity to check this out today at the NRAAM.
1:11 twist
Really sweet trigger
You have to be kidding me. Didn't they learn from Ruger how stupid that is?

Wow. It has to be some BS with their legal departments but all these other manufacturers have been selling SPC II Chambers for years.

No SPC II chamber is literally insane. Someone should be fired if true.

·
Super Moderator
11,727 Posts

Wow. It has to be some BS with their legal departments but all these other manufacturers have been selling SPC II Chambers for years.

I have a Ruger 77 Hawkeye Compact in 6.8 and believed it to be original SPC chamber but I did a chamber cast of it and of one of my 6.8 ARP chambers and cannot tell any difference in the two so now I am not so sure.

·
Registered
90 Posts

I have a Ruger 77 Hawkeye Compact in 6.8 and believed it to be original SPC chamber but I did a chamber cast of it and of one of my 6.8 ARP chambers and cannot tell any difference in the two so now I am not so sure.
That is interesting. I was mostly thinking of the Ruger SR68 which was a piston driven AR in 6.8 SPC 1 chamber. It was a miserable failure. Anyone in the market for that rifle is informed enough to understand they should buy the SPC II chamber. It's my theory most 6.8 enthusiasts reload since the ammo is so expensive.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How was that verified? Seems Savage would be savvy enough not to but a flawed chamber in their rifles. Maybe best to call their support number and ask. (413) 568-7001 or (800) 370-0708
1) Barrele marked 6.8. Not marked for twist.
2) I waited for the engineer to get back from lunch. Talked with him for awhile. He designed the MSR 10 ( don't remember which caliber), he said an engineer sitting next to him did the work on the 6.8.
I told him if they would have done it in SPC II, I would be all over it. I had my doubts they did too much homework on it and quit listening when he mentioned industry standard. I think he was going down the SAAMI road.

·
Super Moderator
11,727 Posts
1) Barrele marked 6.8. Not marked for twist.
2) I waited for the engineer to get back from lunch. Talked with him for awhile. He designed the MSR 10 ( don't remember which caliber), he said an engineer sitting next to him did the work on the 6.8.
I told him if they would have done it in SPC II, I would be all over it. I had my doubts they did too much homework on it and quit listening when he mentioned industry standard. I think he was going down the SAAMI road.
They are listed on distributor's website as 1:11 twist.

·
Super Moderator
11,727 Posts
The Savage site had them listed as 1:7 when I first saw it. I was told that was being corrected. To paraphrase, some IT guy got lazy and didn't do the job right.
Apparently it is a real Cluster f___k over there. I just looked at Savage website and it says rate of twist 1 in NA. Does that make it a smoothbore? WTF.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I wonder if the chamber was actually compared to the original spc and a ARP or spec 2 which it would be closer to . Is it possible Savage stretched the free bore but decided to claim it's industry standards to protect themselves . And finally there is this . Most people don't load , they shoot factory . Most people who choose ARs for deer / hogs are shooting <200 and how much are you loosing by shooting a factory 120 sst out of a spc v a appropriate loaded 120sst out of a spec2 at 200 yds ? Some factory loads may shoot better from the original chamber . I personally would not buy an AR unless I could put a ARP barrel on it . The down side( IMHO) might be as long as people are making barrels chambered spc ammo makers like Nosler will continue to water the loads down .

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
For some reason only half my comment will post , maybe a sign my post is too long and boring .

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
"The rest of the story " short version . People shooting factory 120 sst out of spc v spc 2 barrel with 120 sst loaded appropriately will never notice the difference at 200 yards . As far as that goes some factory bullets may like the old spc chamber better . The down side is since manufacturers are still making old spc chambered rifles we will never see loads cranked up to their potential.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Savage 6.8

Has anyone confirmed the chambering? Did Savage mess up?

Has anyone here bought one yet?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just to weigh in. I emailed and called Savage a while back about the 6.8 msr and the guy on the phone didn't even know what a 6.8 II was. Barrel is marked 6.8 spc. Savage rifles I own are accurate and well functioning. Its disappointing that this rifle is not advanced enough to have the 6.8 II chamber, especially since they were savvy enough to chamber the 223 wylde in the original msr. I would snatch a couple up in a heartbeat with a 6.8 II chamber. Reg

·
Registered
206 Posts
I think the Savage 6.8 MSR is running head on in to the big industry manufacturers have essentially zero interest in the 6.8 platform. I’m certain Savage did a 6.8 only because they are venturing in to .224 Valkyrie territory.

In short , I will not surprised in the least if the Savage 6.8 MSR is chambered in the old dinosaur original 6.8 SPC.

min any case, who cares? plenty of great 6.8 barrels are available in modern 6.8 chambers.

·
Registered
8,670 Posts
Even the "old dinosaur original 6.8 SPC' beats the socks off 5.56 and many others in the same size platform when used on critters.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts