6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to add to the stockpile. Just curious, since these come primed from CBB, what kind of processing do they require. I can't do anything but chamfer the case mouths until they are fired. Do you neck size the new stuff and then expand to get consistent neck tension?

·
Registered
845 Posts
I remove the primer knock out pin from my sizing die and do a full length resize with them.

Reactions: Txmedic1292

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I remove the primer knock out pin from my sizing die and do a full length resize with them.
That's kind what I'm thinking. Otherwise I would have to start over with load development when I reprimed the cases. Losing 250 primers of unknown origin is not a big deal.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Unless you have an exceptionally tight chamber dies set for normal shoulder bump will not touch shoulder and all you will accomplish sizing is maybe truing up the necks . I have done it both ways and honestly can't tell any difference in accuracy . Why not remove deprimer and size 10 and compare with 10 loaded as they come and compare .

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

·
Registered
845 Posts
I run them part way in the die to round the necks, debur the case mouth and load.
That's what I'm going to start doing. I wasn't sure so I went on the side of caution.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
I wasn’t sure as well, first time buying pre-primed brass.
I trimmed, chamfered/deburred and loaded 60 w/o issues except one ”loose” neck. I’m going to do a decap/resize on ten to see if there’s any difference.

·
Registered
8,738 Posts
I would remove the depriming pin and at least partially resize so that you true up the neck and get uniform neck tension.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
If your just popping those S&B primers out your wasting a good primer.
Most including myself see very little variation between them and CCI 450's
Any Hornady 6.8 factory ammo with the brass colored primers is using the exact same primer.
I have loaded mild to very hot loads with no issues.
Loads I work up with the new brass and then reload only seem to changed with the increased case capacity of a .003 to .005 shoulder set back when resizing.
With a full length resize I see no difference loading it with a CCI 450/CCI41.

Remove the decapping pin as suggested and give them a quick neck sized to straighten them out.
Most are good to go as is.
Chamfer, debur and load.

I hope that helps answer any questions.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
If your just popping those S&B primers out your wasting a good primer.
Most including myself see very little variation between them and CCI 450's
Any Hornady 6.8 factory ammo with the brass colored primers is using the exact same primer.
I have loaded mild to very hot loads with no issues.
Loads I work up with the new brass and then reload only seem to changed with the increased case capacity of a .003 to .005 shoulder set back when resizing.
With a full length resize I see no difference loading it with a CCI 450/CCI41.

Remove the decapping pin as suggested and give them a quick neck sized to straighten them out.
Most are good to go as is.
Chamfer, debur and load.

I hope that helps answer any questions.
Thank you! Can I reuse the primers that I popped out,I’ve been saving them just in case?

·
Registered
8,738 Posts
Yes, you can reuse them but you "might" not get the same performance as if they had not been punched out. I say "might" as it is just another variable. I have had to remove a primer or two over the years for whatever reason and then reseated them and they fired fine for my purposes. I am going to run a test with primers that were left outside and got rained on. I know that powder is stored under water for safety purposes at the manufacturer and priming compound is wet when it is put into the cups. Oil is a definite enemy of primers but water should not be an issue.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Thank you! Can I reuse the primers that I popped out,I’ve been saving them just in case?
As long as the anvil or cup wasn't damaged you could reuse them. However, I would not trust any removed primer for anything but target or plinking.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Years ago I cut 44 mag cases to about 1/3" to out in custom grips , before putting primers in I decided to kill them . I was surprised how long it took wd 40 and oil to make them definitely inoperable . I popped several I knew had to be dead . Don't remember the brand primers .

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts