6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Finally decided to give these a whirl, so picked up 10 boxes. Accuracy is decent from my 18" ARP MW, I had two groups at 1moa. One thing that surprised me a bit is they were ejecting at 1:30-2 O'clock where I have my block set for 120SST to eject at 4:30(It's about 1/2 way closed). That said, no swipes, but the primers were flat.

One thing I really liked is this batch is one of the straightest batches of factory ammo I've seen. I check all of my ammo on a concentricity gauge and these barely moved the needle. POI was close enough to use them for hunting hogs or vermin with my 120SST zero.

My chrono took a dump before I got to them Saturday, but after 12years of use and no telling how many rounds, I can't complain. I'll pick up a new unit and check the speed on this lot next time out. Have you guys noticed your lots being a bit warm?

·
Banned
2,342 Posts
i don't have any of those, have the FMJ and think it's a tad warm too

·
Registered
631 Posts
Finally decided to give these a whirl, so picked up 10 boxes. Accuracy is decent from my 18" ARP MW, I had two groups at 1moa. One thing that surprised me a bit is they were ejecting at 1:30-2 O'clock where I have my block set for 120SST to eject at 4:30(It's about 1/2 way closed). That said, no swipes, but the primers were flat.

One thing I really liked is this batch is one of the straightest batches of factory ammo I've seen. I check all of my ammo on a concentricity gauge and these barely moved the needle. POI was close enough to use them for hunting hogs or vermin with my 120SST zero.

My chrono took a dump before I got to them Saturday, but after 12years of use and no telling how many rounds, I can't complain. I'll pick up a new unit and check the speed on this lot next time out. Have you guys noticed your lots being a bit warm?
They ejected very forward for me when shooting my build for the first time and also had a high percentage of stove pipes. I replaced the gas block with an adjustable and closing it down to bring ejection to about three o'clock would leave the brass on top of the empty mag and occasional failures to lock back. I opened the block enough to get a reliable lock back on empty, and the ejection was reliable but still forward. With the same setting, my hotter reloads eject about 3:00 to 4:00.

I don't really know if the loads are that hot or if the powder has a burn rate that has a higher pressure than normal as the bullet passes the gas port.

The primers do look some what flat, but the shoulders are about .011" to .013" shorter than my chamber and probably give a false indication of pressure as a result.

Accuracy wise, typically at 100 yds three out of five rounds will be close to touching, with two flyers that open the group up to almost two inches. :-(

·
Registered
4,113 Posts
I checked them on my chronograph in my last rifle, an 18" PSA, and was getting a bit over 2600 fps.

·
Registered
690 Posts
My 20" ARP Target Crown will shoot five of the PTS into one ragged hole if i do my part, velocity is 2650ish out of the 20" bbl.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts