6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Im not familiar with large tracts of land. I had relatives out in some country areas of Georgia. Is 40 acres considered alot? Looking at a land plot about 5 hours from where I live. Towards the Arizona / New Mexico border. About 6k feet.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
40 acres in a square is 1/4 mile along each side. It would take about 20 minutes at an average walking pace to walk around the boundary your entire property, dependent on terrain of course.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
40 acres in a square is 1/4 mile along each side. It would take about 20 minutes at an average walking pace to walk around the boundary your entire property, dependent on terrain of course.
Ok thanks for the reference. Ill have to take a look at the lot. I believe its mixed medow, trees, and ridgeline. Its supposed to back up to national forest.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Some important considerations, road access (written or on road itself), electricity, water supply, distance to medical facility. If you have kids, schools and town for the family shopping, groceries, etc. Today you should check codes, shooting, noise, building, etc. I bought a farm 10 years ago, being careful in selection, doubled the value in those 10 years. There is a special IRS code for timber land, the more timber acreage as a percentage the better.

·
Registered
392 Posts
That is kind of vague description of the area you are looking at.
IMO if the land has plenty of water then 40 acres is plenty unless you are gong to have livestock too.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ok thanks for the reference. Ill have to take a look at the lot. I believe its mixed medow, trees, and ridgeline. Its supposed to back up to national forest.
You can support yourself on 40 acres if it's as you described and has a source of water, natural or well.

·
Registered
13,751 Posts
I think the rule in most states is you must have 35 acres to drill a well for livestock.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think the rule in most states is you must have 35 acres to drill a well for livestock.
AZ depends on pump rate. Exempt wells (pumping up to 35 GPM) can be installed on 5 acres. Anything over 35 GPM requires permits. Wells are the only source of water for most of AZ.

·
Registered
8,695 Posts
Nativeman30, I am about an hour from Springerville/Eager but in NM, what area are you looking at?

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Nativeman30, I am about an hour from Springerville/Eager but in NM, what area are you looking at?
Im in Tucson, but looking at some plots in the White Mountains. Herber, St. Johns, Show Low areas. Just seems to be affordable in that area.

·
Registered
8,695 Posts
My personal preference would be the Show Low area followed by the Heber-Overgaard area. St Johns, while a nice town is not green enough for me. I grew up in Gila Bend so I now want something with a bit more greenery. 🌲 I love the desert but have a bigger love of trees.

·
Super Moderator
21,593 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If I buy a plot I will post pictures. Plan on taking my son's dron, my spotting scope, and a trail cam to leave in place to get some pictures

·
Registered
8,695 Posts
I always suspected you were a tree-hugger at heart. LOL
Yeah, I hug them all the way to the truck, then to the wood pile, and then to the wood stove. 😁

Reactions: Ratdog68
1 - 20 of 28 Posts