6.8 SPC Forums banner
21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
While realizing the forum that I'm on, between the 7.62x39, and the 6.8 SPC, which do you think is better in the mini platform, and why? How hard are magazines to get, and are any mags in 20 rounds?
Thanks,
Daniel

·
Registered
304 Posts
I realize that this was an old post that got resurrected. I just wanted to add that the CBB 120 MKZ flew incredibly well out of my 6.8 Mini. Better than everything else that I tried including the 105 MKZ and the 120 SST

·
Registered
578 Posts
While realizing the forum that I'm on, between the 7.62x39, and the 6.8 SPC, which do you think is better in the mini platform, and why? How hard are magazines to get, and are any mags in 20 rounds?
Thanks,
Daniel
The 6.8 SPC is a more accurate round. I have Ruger Ranch Rifles in both calibers, the 6.8 runs circles around the 7.62 x 39. I find the 6.8 SPC has better range, more accurate and better kinetic energy. The 6.8 definitely has better velocity and wider range of bullet weights. You can get 20 round magazines from Pro Mag. I have some and they work in my sons rifle and my rifle. Some guys have had to make a slight modification to the ProMags with a Drimel Tool to make them work in their Mini 6.8s. The one drawback to the 6.8 SPC is finding ammo at a decent price and availability (depending on where you live has a lot to do with it). Hope this helps.

Reactions: Nontypical

·
Registered
25 Posts
The 6.8 SPC is a more accurate round. I have Ruger Ranch Rifles in both calibers, the 6.8 runs circles around the 7.62 x 39. I find the 6.8 SPC has better range, more accurate and better kinetic energy. The 6.8 definitely has better velocity and wider range of bullet weights. You can get 20 round magazines from Pro Mag. I have some and they work in my sons rifle and my rifle. Some guys have had to make a slight modification to the ProMags with a Drimel Tool to make them work in their Mini 6.8s. The one drawback to the 6.8 SPC is finding ammo at a decent price and availability (depending on where you live has a lot to do with it). Hope this helps.
This was very helpful. You stated your experience, and point out some differences between the two rounds. You also list the apparent, major flaw in the 6.8, the cost. Another question I should have asked, can current 6.8 ammo be fired in the Rugers? I've read that the Rugers are the original SPC chamber, and that the current ammo is loaded hotter, for use in the SPC 2 chambers. Maybe we could get Privi Partisan or golden bear, to load bunches of 6.8? Or mayb if I get the rifle I found, I can have it rechambered. It can't be too hard or too costly. I may have found one, but it is pricey at 1200.
Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
304 Posts
This was very helpful. You stated your experience, and point out some differences between the two rounds. You also list the apparent, major flaw in the 6.8, the cost. Another question I should have asked, can current 6.8 ammo be fired in the Rugers? I've read that the Rugers are the original SPC chamber, and that the current ammo is loaded hotter, for use in the SPC 2 chambers. Maybe we could get Privi Partisan or golden bear, to load bunches of 6.8? Or mayb if I get the rifle I found, I can have it rechambered. It can't be too hard or too costly. I may have found one, but it is pricey at 1200.
Thanks for the input.
I haven’t had any issues shooting any of the current ammo in my 6.8. And as far as the price, I don’t think $1200 is crazy, considering that they don’t make the rifle in 6.8spc anymore. And the new ones in .223/.556 that are still being produced are fetching $1000 or more. Sure, the pricing on all weapons is crazy right now, and they probably won’t ever go down much if at all. Since there is a limited amount of Mini’s in 6.8, I only see the prices of them to continually increase.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I haven’t had any issues shooting any of the current ammo in my 6.8. And as far as the price, I don’t think $1200 is crazy, considering that they don’t make the rifle in 6.8spc anymore. And the new ones in .223/.556 that are still being produced are fetching $1000 or more. Sure, the pricing on all weapons is crazy right now, and they probably won’t ever go down much if at all. Since there is a limited amount of Mini’s in 6.8, I only see the prices of them to continually increase.
Nontypical. Thanks for the info on the compatibly of the new ammo to the SPC-1 barrels. Thanks for the input on the price. I was thinking a little along those same lines, that there will probably be no more mini 6.8s made. At least it's not 1300 or 1500!! Now if only the ammo was plentiful, and cheap.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Took the plunge and bought the mini 6.8. Now the mag hunt starts. Did Ruger make any 10 or 20 round mags? Can the x39 mags be used with modification, and if so where can I find out about the mods. Ruger should have desinged the mini to us AR mags. I'm learning about the mini6.8, and there is a lot more to learn. Will have to get some 6.8 reloading dies and learn about the new powders that have been introduced in the last 10 years. A new gun is almost like a hobby within a hobby.

·
Super Moderator
1,668 Posts
Just to clarify, the only 6.8 ammo that would be too hot is probably CBB's/Druid Hill Armory. Maybe if you found some old pre-nosler SSA. All other factory 6.8 ammo is SAAMI specs. SPC2 is essentially wildcatting to take advantage of better chamber specs.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Just to clarify, the only 6.8 ammo that would be too hot is probably CBB's/Druid Hill Armory. Maybe if you found some old pre-nosler SSA. All other factory 6.8 ammo is SAAMI specs. SPC2 is essentially wildcatting to take advantage of better chamber specs.
I’m curious. What can get damaged by using the CBB’s in a SPC 1 chamber? Unfortunately the 120 MKZ shot the best out of my gun and I didn’t realize my error at the time. I’d love to be able to keep using these a few times a year, but I don’t want to cause any damage.

·
Super Moderator
1,668 Posts
That's somewhat out of my lane but based on the history of the cartridge and Rem's botching the Army trials the SPC leade and forcing cone can create a high pressure situation. How this affects a mini I'm not certain and I'm probably leaving something out. I know there's been a reamer or 2 that have been passed around to convert the SAAMI SPC to "SPC2."

·
Registered
25 Posts
Lets add to that idea. . Why couldn't we use 120s all the time so that we practice and plink with the same bullets that we'd use for hunting or defense? What I'm reading is that the SP"C II chamber has slightly more freebore, and a very slightly different angle of entry, or do I have that wrong? How does the SPC chamber affect the use of 120s? If the 120s fit into the mag, shouldn't they be fine to shoot?
Thanks for educating me.

·
Registered
25 Posts
That's somewhat out of my lane but based on the history of the cartridge and Rem's botching the Army trials the SPC leade and forcing cone can create a high pressure situation. How this affects a mini I'm not certain and I'm probably leaving something out. I know there's been a reamer or 2 that have been passed around to convert the SAAMI SPC to "SPC2."
My below post was written and posted without my seeing this post. So the forcing cone and leade do what that would casue the higher pressure? Do I also understand correctly that all mini-6.8s are SPC chambers?
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
1,668 Posts
You're tracking the general idea in your post 32. I'm not an expert and I don't have a Mini. Like I said, some have been reamed out to SPC2 and some folks have rebarrelled, so not all are SAAMI. If you just shoot Hornady 120SST factory, you're good. If you reload and stay in book values, you're good.

·
Super Moderator
1,668 Posts
I wish my memory was better. This gets hashed out every few years, so you can prolly find some good, more authoritative info reading here on the site. I read the stuff because I love guns and accumulating knowledge, useful to me or not. It weighs nothing in the ruck.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I wish my memory was better. This gets hashed out every few years, so you can prolly find some good, more authoritative info reading here on the site. I read the stuff because I love guns and accumulating knowledge, useful to me or not. It weighs nothing in the ruck.
You’re memory can’t be worse than mine right now. After a severe concussion recently, I can’t remember a damn thing. Lol. I will try to figure this out and do my research. I bought the gun used, so for all I know it may have been reamed out already. I will do some research and figure it out. If I have to, I’ll ream it. I’d hate to give up using the CBB 120’s as they were super accurate.

·
Super Moderator
1,668 Posts
Nontypical, are you reloading CBB120s? Or using DHA?

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
I’m curious. What can get damaged by using the CBB’s in a SPC 1 chamber? Unfortunately the 120 MKZ shot the best out of my gun and I didn’t realize my error at the time. I’d love to be able to keep using these a few times a year, but I don’t want to cause any damage.
Nothing wrong with using cavity back 120 or any other 120 . Druid hill is loaded hotter than Sammi and only intended to be used in chambers that have enough jump to lower the pressure to safe levels . If you shoot HOT rounds in your gun pressure can be dangerous and definitely will be rough on the gun and brass . Cavity Back 120 with 1/2 grain or so less powder will be good out of reg SPC Chambers . My favorite 105 cavity back load is actually half grain less than Druids load . I'm not giving up much velocity , brass lasts longer and it is super accurate . If you don't want to load your own you may be out of luck with cavity back . If I had to stick to factory I would definitely be stocking up on S& B 110 ptsp any time I found them .

Sent from my LM-K920 using Tapatalk

21 - 40 of 50 Posts