6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody, just following up on a post that I made a few months ago saying I would be posting a range report with this gun. Anyways, I have to say that I am not really sure why Ruger didn't sell more guns, because whatever they did produced a super accurate firearm. It is more accurate then I would have pegged, but it makes me happy because I will still reload for it, but the load data obviously is close. The only thing I did was add the Leupold scope onto it. The ammo is the 115 grain Remington UMC Factory ammo, obviously it seems to do very well in this gun.

Green Plant Air gun Grass Biome Rectangle Triangle Flooring Floor Material property White Textile Flooring Triangle Floor

·
Registered
275 Posts
My dad has a ranch in 223 and I love the rifle but we never could get it to hold accuracy well(I'm also not the best shot). The thing has always been 100% reliable though and easy enough for my 96yr old grandpa to shoot :)

·
Registered
543 Posts
Hello everybody, just following up on a post that I made a few months ago saying I would be posting a range report with this gun. Anyways, I have to say that I am not really sure why Ruger didn't sell more guns, because whatever they did produced a super accurate firearm. It is more accurate then I would have pegged, but it makes me happy because I will still reload for it, but the load data obviously is close. The only thing I did was add the Leupold scope onto it. The ammo is the 115 grain Remington UMC Factory ammo, obviously it seems to do very well in this gun.

View attachment 69652 View attachment 69653 View attachment 69654
Very nice! The 1:10 twist is much better for the heavier bullets than it is for the lighter ones. I have two of these in 6.8 SPC and my son has one also. We love them. One of mine needs the gas block re-torqued, because you can see it is not gaped all the way around correctly. I have to go get a inch pound torque wrench and some blue locktite to fix it. The guy I bought it from in Jan said it was a 2" shooter. If it is with the gas block off kilter, then I should be able to tighten up the groups to 1 1/2" or less. My son's 6.8 SPC is a sub MOA shooter with S&B 110gr PTS and American Hunter (110 gr also). My original 6.8 will group 4 rounds at 1" or less, but always has at least one flyer (at about 1 1/2" to 2"). If I can figure out how to fix that, I will be good to go. If I could get find another 3 of these rifles for the rest of my kids and the wife, (providing I have the funds) I would buy them.

I have toyed with the idea of having it reamed out to a better chamber, but I don;t think I want to go all the way out to SPC II. I've also toyed with getting a newer barrel for one of them (4 or 5 R with a different twist rate), but there aren't a lot of guys willing to make a barrel replacement barrel for them (ASI and maybe Shiloh). There are a couple of guys, but not a lot. If you want one contoured like an original barrel, I don't think that will happen. The only place I know of that has factory parts is ASI out of Colorado, but he is expensive.

I plan on putting a new gas bushing .050 or .055 in one to test it out. I've been told that makes a big difference, along with a trigger job. There are also guys who say the recoil / guide spring needs to be stronger and to put a 1911 recoil pad in the front and back of the recoil assembly.

Then again, I may just leave them as they are. There are several guys on this forum who has them, some keep them as collectors items.

Great shooting with the Ruger Mini 6.8 SPC.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I have a Ruger "Ranch" 6.8mm Rem SPC.
Yeah, I've considered having mine reamed too, but since I've got everything, box, lock & literature) so intend, at this point, my intend to leave it "original"

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Tastey....

Passed on the mini14 in 6.8 a few times in the past, but have not seen one in the wild for a number of years.

Would be interesting to see how it does with good hunting ammo like the 120 SST.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Tastey....

Passed on the mini14 in 6.8 a few times in the past, but have not seen one in the wild for a number of years.

Would be interesting to see how it does with good hunting ammo like the 120 SST.
I just picked up some 120 SST and plan to put it on target in a couple of weeks. I'll let you know how mine shoots it.

Reactions: WASSMAN

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Tastey....

Same here, I picked up some of the 120 SST, I'll report back with accuracy.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Tastey....

Sorry, I haven't gotten back to you guys yet. Initially got weathered out, now out of state. I should be able to get out by the end of the month though.

·
Registered
4,624 Posts
tofan, you picture shows the barrel of the rifle resting on the forward leg of the rest. Is this how you shot your groups?

Reactions: 270 and sfs13

·
Registered
543 Posts
I have been looking for a Ruger mini in 6.8 spc for some time but never found one.
They are out there, but very hard to find, especially now. My wife and I have one each and my youngest son has one. If I would have been quicker, I would have another. They are usually listed as Ruger Ranch Rifle, 6.8 SPC and NOT Mini 6.8. Sometimes you can find them on Gun Broker.

·
Registered
982 Posts
If anyone sees a Ruger Hawkeye in 6.8 in the wild, I would appreciate a heads up. Haven't been able to find one since Woodstock let his go and I hesitated too long.

·
Registered
543 Posts
If anyone sees a Ruger Hawkeye in 6.8 in the wild, I would appreciate a heads up. Haven't been able to find one since Woodstock let his go and I hesitated too long.
That my friend I have not found, but would like to get one myself. I will look and let you know.

·
Registered
1 Posts

View attachment 69652 View attachment 69653 View attachment 69654
My Ruger Ranch in 6.8 is a tack driver!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts