6.8 SPC Forums banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have a Ruger carbine that puts shot 2-5 about 3 " high and 2" right of the first shot with fouled( not cleaned barrel ) the purpose of the gun was deer hunting so instead of adjusting t center of group I adjusted it for first shot , that is the one that counts the most .
That maybe the solution, after all, if you're hunting the first shot is the most important.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Don't get me wrong I like little tiny groups but in the real world I would rather have a gun that put the first shot dead on point of aim every time and the next 5/10 within a couple of inches than one that shot 1/2 inch groups after you heat the barrel up with a shot that hit somewhere around POA . ___ My dad never worried about group size he Always described an accurate rifle as one that put the first shot "Right There " . Of course having a shooting bench in the back yard and being able to let the gun cool completely down helps but even if you have to go to the public range always keep one target for first shot only or just take a picture of the target after the first shot every time and compare .

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

·
Registered
366 Posts
Don't get me wrong I like little tiny groups but in the real world I would rather have a gun that put the first shot dead on point of aim every time and the next 5/10 within a couple of inches than one that shot 1/2 inch groups after you heat the barrel up with a shot that hit somewhere around POA . ___ My dad never worried about group size he Always described an accurate rifle as one that put the first shot "Right There " . Of course having a shooting bench in the back yard and being able to let the gun cool completely down helps but even if you have to go to the public range always keep one target for first shot only or just take a picture of the target after the first shot every time and compare .

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk
I scoped my Ruger 6.8, but it just didn't shoot for beans.
I originally purchased the gun for thicket busting hogs, so a scope really didn't make any sense.
Back to the ghost ring iron sights. Off the bench, even with my old tired eyes, I could maintain about a 1.75" group!
That may not be "minute-of-angle", but it will shoot "minute-of-deer or -pig"! ...but I knew the second the money left my hands I wasn't purchasing any kind of "target" piece. It does everything I've asked it to and everything I expect of it. Deer, hogs, 'yotes and 1 lone turkey! LOL!

·
Registered
84 Posts
I originally purchased the gun for thicket busting hogs, so a scope really didn't make any sense.
Back to the ghost ring iron sights. Off the bench, even with my old tired eyes, I could maintain about a 1.75" group!
That may not be "minute-of-angle", but it will shoot "minute-of-deer or -pig"! ...but I knew the second the money left my hands I wasn't purchasing any kind of "target" piece. It does everything I've asked it to and everything I expect of it. Deer, hogs, 'yotes and 1 lone turkey! LOL!
1.75" groups with iron sights at 100 yds is IMO is actually good. Especially with a Ruger Mini! Just look at the blade on the front sight, it's really too thick. It's around .07 thick. It should be closer to .055 thick. It covers too much of the target. A lot of the nay sayers and critics of the the Ruger minis forget it was designed as a compact bush style rifle to throw in the back of your truck. That's what I want!!! Could / should the minis be more accurate? The answer is a definite yes!!! The stocks aren't as tight fitting as they could be, front sight is to thick, the gas settings are way to high and the triggers could be closer to a 4lb factory setting. I have an older 5.56 and Mini 30 with the pencil barrels, compared to them the Mini 6.8 is a drastic improvement! I am completely sold on the 6.8! Its a shame Ruger dropped the ball on the 6.8 SPC and it is a travesty that it took them so long to fix many of the flaws/issues they had with the mini's. I wish I had the money and skills to make my own version of the mini, I see potential in it, especially with a standard AR mag.. I can't count the number of times people have said if only they were more accurate, I might have kept mine. I have never heard or read of anyone complaining about the reliability of these weapons. I will keep my mini's and hope to find a cure for the old ones and dream of making a better version.

·
Registered
366 Posts
1.75" groups with iron sights at 100 yds is IMO is actually good. Especially with a Ruger Mini! Just look at the blade on the front sight, it's really too thick. It's around .07 thick. It should be closer to .055 thick. It covers too much of the target. A lot of the nay sayers and critics of the the Ruger minis forget it was designed as a compact bush style rifle to throw in the back of your truck. That's what I want!!! Could / should the minis be more accurate? The answer is a definite yes!!! The stocks aren't as tight fitting as they could be, front sight is to thick, the gas settings are way to high and the triggers could be closer to a 4lb factory setting. I have an older 5.56 and Mini 30 with the pencil barrels, compared to them the Mini 6.8 is a drastic improvement! I am completely sold on the 6.8! Its a shame Ruger dropped the ball on the 6.8 SPC and it is a travesty that it took them so long to fix many of the flaws/issues they had with the mini's. I wish I had the money and skills to make my own version of the mini, I see potential in it, especially with a standard AR mag.. I can't count the number of times people have said if only they were more accurate, I might have kept mine. I have never heard or read of anyone complaining about the reliability of these weapons. I will keep my mini's and hope to find a cure for the old ones and dream of making a better version.
I've never had but the one Mini.
To me, the gun itself is absolutely awesome.

The mag is kinda weird, but I kinda understand it.
An AR mag has to be forcefully slammed home due to the top round in the mag having to be depressed slightly to seat.
First. That stupid little 5 round mag (2 of them actually!) Ruger furnished with the 6.8 is an abomination and the reason I finally built a 6.8mm AR. After market mags were plastic, non existant or difficult to locate.
Second, my old arthritic, crippled up hands had a hard time forcing the 5 round mags into place. Then, it took both hands to dig out the empty mag.
Finally, AFTER I built my 6.8 AR, I found a metallic, 20 round Mini 6.8mm Mag at "Mag Warehouse".
It sticks out far enough, that even with my hands, if I can engage the mag button, I can easily get enough leverage to rotate the mag back to seat it and don't have to bump the bottom of the mag like you do with an AR. I DO like that! No more bruising the heel of my hand.

Lastly, the Mini mag release.
With the 5 round Ruger mags, the nicest thing I can say is, "A pain in the butt!"
With my 20 round mag, operating the mag release with the thumb while rotating the mag forward is a piece of cake.

I'm not sure the Mini was ever intended for target use. It's a "using tool"!
If Ruger had stayed away from the "Mini" moniker and started out with "Ranch" instead, maybe more people would be more accepting of it's so-so accuracy.
How about "Ruger Truck Gun" as a marketing campaign? LOL!

·
Registered
763 Posts
I love this thread. Good to know there are so many others here with Ruger Mini 6.8s. This was my first 6.8 I purchased and I still love it. Much more accurate than the .223s I read about. Since then I have built or am building 5 ARs and need to get some more lower receivers to finish all of them. All but one are ARP barrels. I have converted 2 friends and have another that wants me to help him build an AR. I have him almost talked into a 6.8.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I love this thread. Good to know there are so many others here with Ruger Mini 6.8s. This was my first 6.8 I purchased and I still love it. Much more accurate than the .223s I read about. Since then I have built or am building 5 ARs and need to get some more lower receivers to finish all of them. All but one are ARP barrels. I have converted 2 friends and have another that wants me to help him build an AR. I have him almost talked into a 6.8.
Almost sold mine once. Had it on the table at a gun show. Told the guy my bottom dollar. He shoved long green in my hand. I counted it.
It was $25 short.
"No sir", restated my price. He took his money and left.
Actually a good thing. Got home and looked the gun up on the internet. Had it WAY underpriced! I can't blame the guy. I've done the same thing!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Almost sold mine once. Had it on the table at a gun show. Told the guy my bottom dollar. He shoved long green in my hand. I counted it.
It was $25 short.
"No sir", restated my price. He took his money and left.
Actually a good thing. Got home and looked the gun up on the internet. Had it WAY underpriced! I can't blame the guy. I've done the same thing!
I've never had but the one Mini.
To me, the gun itself is absolutely awesome.

The mag is kinda weird, but I kinda understand it.
An AR mag has to be forcefully slammed home due to the top round in the mag having to be depressed slightly to seat.
First. That stupid little 5 round mag (2 of them actually!) Ruger furnished with the 6.8 is an abomination and the reason I finally built a 6.8mm AR. After market mags were plastic, non existant or difficult to locate.
Second, my old arthritic, crippled up hands had a hard time forcing the 5 round mags into place. Then, it took both hands to dig out the empty mag.
Finally, AFTER I built my 6.8 AR, I found a metallic, 20 round Mini 6.8mm Mag at "Mag Warehouse".
It sticks out far enough, that even with my hands, if I can engage the mag button, I can easily get enough leverage to rotate the mag back to seat it and don't have to bump the bottom of the mag like you do with an AR. I DO like that! No more bruising the heel of my hand.

Lastly, the Mini mag release.
With the 5 round Ruger mags, the nicest thing I can say is, "A pain in the butt!"
With my 20 round mag, operating the mag release with the thumb while rotating the mag forward is a piece of cake.

I'm not sure the Mini was ever intended for target use. It's a "using tool"!
If Ruger had stayed away from the "Mini" moniker and started out with "Ranch" instead, maybe more people would be more accepting of it's so-so accuracy.
How about "Ruger Truck Gun" as a marketing campaign? LOL!
I will say, I really don't have an issue with the Mini Mags, other then price and a lack of availability. I have found some on Pro Mag, 10 rounders - $27.99 and a 20 rounder - $29.99. They are expensive. Ruger doesn't carry anything over 5 rounds for the Mini 6.8. I don;t know how well the Pro Mags work, but I plan on getting a couple of each after I get back to work.

·
Registered
548 Posts
If your going to hunt with your Mini 12 the best thing you can do on the cheap is make sure all four of he screws on the gas block are properly torqued. Amazes me how much a simple pass over a Mini with a torque wrench will help it out and stunned at how out of spec the fasteners ted to be on factory Ruger Minis. Its like they don't have a torque wrench in the assembly plant. If want to spend some money then put an Accu Strut on it and adjustable gas block and it can be tuned up to shoot really well compared to out of the box. While many modify Ruger Mini 6.8s (open throat to spc II) on the idea it will not affect their colector value by much down the road, it affects what I will pay for one as my goal is to preserve history. If use factory ammo the original 6.8 spc chamber will shoot factory loaded 6.8 ammo just fine. As to throwing the first shot I have a $3,500 bench rest rifle with $2,500 scope on top that puts the first round 6" high at 1,000 yards from a cold bore. Shot a fouling shot and it settles down and groups nicely. Most rifles have issues with first round cold bore shot placing differently than subsequent shots. Best solution I have found to cure that is Tubbs boron nitride coating on the projectiles. Same theory as moly coating but better and less messy.

·
Registered
548 Posts
One more quick piece of information, the 6.8s are 583 Series rifles. Most all the 583 series whether 6.8 or 5.56 shoot better than other series Minis. I purchased a pair of 5.56 Series 583s just to test side by side against some of my unmodified older Minis in 5.56 and the 583s just seem to shoot better regardless of cartridge.

·
Registered
84 Posts
One more quick piece of information, the 6.8s are 583 Series rifles. Most all the 583 series whether 6.8 or 5.56 shoot better than other series Minis. I purchased a pair of 5.56 Series 583s just to test side by side against some of my unmodified older Minis in 5.56 and the 583s just seem to shoot better regardless of cartridge.
Good to know stuff. I am very happy with my Mini 6.8, my son seems to really like his. I will double check the gas block, I beleive it is supposed to be torqued at 30lbs, but I will have to look it up. I would like to get the adjustable gas block, but that's a little pricey.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I would check on the Mini 6.8s being the 583 series. mine is a 581 series, so is mine sons.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Good to know stuff. I am very happy with my Mini 6.8, my son seems to really like his. I will double check the gas block, I beleive it is supposed to be torqued at 30lbs, but I will have to look it up. I would like to get the adjustable gas block, but that's a little pricey.
It is to be torqued at 30 inch pounds. ASI has one that is torqued to 40 inch pounds.

·
Registered
3,863 Posts
I think the Mini 6.8 was one of the first 58000 series barrels that made the Mini-14s go from minute of beer can to around 2-3 inches before tuning. Mine was 1.75 inches at 100 yards and after a reaming went sub minute!

Mine likes 115 Federal Fusions. As a bonded bullet they are my general problem critter cronking woods bullet. And one of the more affordable type bonded bullets. Some where around here some one proved the true ballistic coe is .31, still according to my ballistics program shows the bullet still has proper performance out to 300 yards out of my Mini 6.8, maybe 20 yards more out of my ARP 6.8 barrel. It still fits my original parameters for light carbine that can take deer at 300 yards, as deer learned over a hundred years of 30/30s slaughtering to stay PAST 200 yards.

If I want to kill deer farther I'll get the more expensive fancy fu-fu ammo that's out there. Like going on an out west trip again. Um a bonded class one that is.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts