6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have my first RUGER mini 14 6.8 SPC on its way to me . Would like to reload for this carbine for the purpose of deer hunting. First thing I need to know is what rifling twist rate RUGER uses in this carbine. Also any bullet suggestions ?

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
.... Also any bullet suggestions ?
Don't have one but I know several forum members do. A little google-fu may produce some info for you. Or try a box of each and see what it likes...

·
Registered
8,695 Posts
Be ready to search for your brass the Rugers really spit the brass out. I know a guy that replaced the windshield on his truck two or three times because the ejecting brass came out so hard that it broke the windshield and he didn't learn the first time.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Mine threw brass about 30 feet when I got it. I installed 1911 buffers to front and rear of the action. Now it throws brass about 10 feet at 3:00 o'clock in a little pile about 2 feet across.

·
Registered
366 Posts
My Ruger piles brass about 15 feet away at about 4 o'clock...but then I built a screen on my shooting bench.
I conveniently drag "all" of my 6.8mm brass out of the screen after shooting.
Occasionally, I'll have a "flyer" that misses the screen, but very seldom.

·
Registered
100 Posts
My son and I both have the Ruger Ranch Rifle in 6.8 SPC. Mine slings the brass all the way to Never Never Land. I'm thinking about getting an adjustable gas block, but they can be expensive. The alternative is to use a smaller gas fitting. ASI also has an adjustable gas block and strut combo.....only a whopping $220 give or take a few $. That would be my preference, but not sure if I can swing it at that price.

·
Registered
56 Posts
How does the 6.8 shoot in the Ranch Rifle? I just bought one in November and have only shot it once. Haven’t put a scope on it yet, but it seemed to do alright with iron sights. I was kinda thinking about a red dot for it instead of a scope.

·
Registered
100 Posts
How does the 6.8 shoot in the Ranch Rifle? I just bought one in November and have only shot it once. Haven’t put a scope on it yet, but it seemed to do alright with iron sights. I was kinda thinking about a red dot for it instead of a scope.
My sons Mini 6.8 is a nice shooter, with the exception of the first round. For some reason, it has a tendency to throw the first shot. The rest of the shots are very tight almost touching. Minus the first shot, it is shooting sub moa at 100 yds with SSA 110 grain Spitzer SP rounds. Now if we can figure out the issue with the first round, we would do Cheetah flips of joy! Not bad for a Ruger Mini 6.8 Ranch Rifle. We picked it up for $650, it has an Archangel Sparta stock and a Simon's 3 X 9 scope. Mine is all stock. I haven't shot it much....yet.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I had no idea that Ruger made a 6.8 Mini 14. Based on my experience with the one Mini 14 and one Mini 30 that I have owned, I truly wish each and every purchaser of the 6.8 version the best of luck. May my misfortunes have soaked up all of the bitterness from the entire family of Ruger Minis that you purchase.

Broken widnshield, three times???? No kidding?

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
Guess my Mini 6.8 throws about 15 feet.

I got a Vortex Viper 2-7 on mine. (older model scope but works great!)

Its one of bye beer season...er Deer season guns and my main varmiter for dang foxes that go after dad's egg layers. And the occasional coyote that seems intent on getting at the other free range roasters that wander about. Well if that canine hating horse that makes sail coyotes don't get them if he's in that pasture. One brave coyote took him on one time...oh the noise from it being a 4 legged walker to floppy sail coyote...

·
Registered
765 Posts
My sons Mini 6.8 is a nice shooter, with the exception of the first round. For some reason, it has a tendency to throw the first shot. The rest of the shots are very tight almost touching. Minus the first shot, it is shooting sub moa at 100 yds with SSA 110 grain Spitzer SP rounds. Now if we can figure out the issue with the first round, we would do Cheetah flips of joy! Not bad for a Ruger Mini 6.8 Ranch Rifle. We picked it up for $650, it has an Archangel Sparta stock and a Simon's 3 X 9 scope. Mine is all stock. I haven't shot it much....yet.
Forgive me if you have already covered this, but if you are one of those people that meticulously clean your rifle after every use and then it throws a wild shot on the first round, try firing a fouling shot before you start trying for groups. Some rifles will throw the first round from a clean barrel off the mark then settle down after that.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I had no idea that Ruger made a 6.8 Mini 14. Based on my experience with the one Mini 14 and one Mini 30 that I have owned, I truly wish each and every purchaser of the 6.8 version the best of luck. May my misfortunes have soaked up all of the bitterness from the entire family of Ruger Minis that you purchase.

Broken widnshield, three times???? No kidding?
Ruger chambered the Ranch in 6.8mm Rem SPC (no "II" designation at that point) from 2007 until 2012 when they inexplicably stopped production.

I may be off here, but I believe the 6.8mm was the first "Ranch" chambered for something besides the 5.56/.223.
A few experimental attempts at other calibers, but the first commercially available.
As soon as the 6.8mm disappeared, the "Mini .30" (7.62×39) came on the market.
I believe it is now also available in .300 Blackout (ACC).

Not sure just how many of the 6.8's were built.

My 6.8mm Ruger "Ranch" would never be at home on a target range, but it is very capable of hunting accuracy to at least 100 yards.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Forgive me if you have already covered this, but if you are one of those people that meticulously clean your rifle after every use and then it throws a wild shot on the first round, try firing a fouling shot before you start trying for groups. Some rifles will throw the first round from a clean barrel off the mark then settle down after that.
We have not cleaned it. We just slapped the scope on it after we got it out of Texas and went out and set up a range to shoot it. It seems to shoot the SSA 110 grain Spitzer better than the SSA 110 grain Accubond, why I don't know! I will goo out abain next week and try it again. Could have been a fluke.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Ruger chambered the Ranch in 6.8mm Rem SPC (no "II" designation at that point) from 2007 until 2012 when they inexplicably stopped production.

I may be off here, but I believe the 6.8mm was the first "Ranch" chambered for something besides the 5.56/.223.
A few experimental attempts at other calibers, but the first commercially available.

My 6.8mm Ruger "Ranch" would never be at home on a target range, but it is very capable of hunting accuracy to at least 100 yards.
The Ruger Mini 30 has been out much longer than the 6.8 SPC. I have a mini 30 from the early 90's with a pencil barrel, long before the 6.8 SPC was ever developed.

·
Registered
366 Posts

The Ruger Mini 30 has been out much longer than the 6.8 SPC. I have a mini 30 from the early 90's with a pencil barrel, long before the 6.8 SPC was ever developed.
Ok.
That's the 7.62×39?
I think at one time, Ruger experimented with the .308 Win but decided not to produce it.
...and if I remember right, it had some oddball "Model" designation.
Anyway! Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Ok.
That's the 7.62×39?
I think at one time, Ruger experimented with the .308 Win but decided not to produce it.
...and if I remember right, it had some oddball "Model" designation.
Anyway! Thanks for the info.
You are correct, the Mini 30 is the 7.62 X 39 mm. Ruger made about 20 of the X-GIs. It was basically a Mini 14 knock off in 7.62 NATO. It had a few flaws in it and Ruger didn't want to invest $1,000,000 to fix it. I have read that if the X-GI would have been successful, they planned on making a 243 version. of it.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I have a Ruger carbine that puts shot 2-5 about 3 " high and 2" right of the first shot with fouled( not cleaned barrel ) the purpose of the gun was deer hunting so instead of adjusting t center of group I adjusted it for first shot , that is the one that counts the most .

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 38 Posts