6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If leaving the factory 1 in 10 inch twist barrel ,,, what gains are to be had by rechambering/reaming to the 6.8 SPC II ?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
6.8 spc reaming

Is it accurate enough to warrant spending money on?
Reamers can be rented and job done by myself . Simple instructions are online .
If the velocity gains are 100 fps plus then the costs might be worth it to me . But I have no idea of the velocity increases .

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
The freebore will go from .05 to .114 (Leade .100 .014 throat). So you get lower pressure curve, gun should handle a few more grains of powder & you can load longer than 2.26 COAL.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Are you going to reload or factory ? Boring will make factory have less pressure and slower , you will be able to load more powder and get more velosity out of reloads . _Based on experience with 12.5 "v 18" 6.8 I can testify that if you shoot game 250 or less it's a waste of time and money because another 100 fps will make absolutely no difference in bullet performance and the difference in drop will be almost unmeasurable .

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

·
Registered
763 Posts
When I did mine it improved the accuracy. They are not as inaccurate as the older .223s, they don't have the pencil barrel.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When I did mine it improved the accuracy. They are not as inaccurate as the older .223s, they don't have the pencil barrel.
I plan to reload , however I have 3 boxes of Federal Fusion MSR 6.8 SPC 115 grain rounds . Would it be unsafe to shoot this factory stuff in my unaltered Ruger ranch 6.8spc. muzzle velocity of 2470. ??

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I plan to reload , however I have 3 boxes of Federal Fusion MSR 6.8 SPC 115 grain rounds . Would it be unsafe to shoot this factory stuff in my unaltered Ruger ranch 6.8spc. muzzle velocity of 2470. ??
The factory stuff is loaded to be safe in original Chambers . __ you can safely reload for the original Chambers if you stay within the boundaries set by the powder manufacturers in their publications . ___ The spc2 allows you to move the bullet farther forward with out getting into lands and allows you to use a little more powder . ___ the big question is " how accurate is your gun with the factory loads . How far do you plan on shooting ?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The factory stuff is loaded to be safe in original Chambers . __ you can safely reload for the original Chambers if you stay within the boundaries set by the powder manufacturers in their publications . ___ The spc2 allows you to move the bullet farther forward with out getting into lands and allows you to use a little more powder . ___ the big question is " how accurate is your gun with the factory loads . How far do you plan on shooting ?

Thank you so much for clarifying . You guys have put my mind at ease and are the BEST !

·
Registered
366 Posts
I'm a bit late to the party! LOL!
I also have the Ruger Ranch in 6.8mm. It still has the original SPC chamber.
The AR's I've built have the SPC II chamber.
I've considered reaming my Ruger several times, but I'm just "collector" enough that I prefer to keep it original. I still have the box, lock and literature, both 5 round mags and the scope rings.
It shoots Sierra 90 gr HP handloads very well.
Mostly, I burn factory ammo through it to get brass to shoot reloads in my AR's.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have the Mini 6.8 SPC, also all original with the box, rings, mags and lock. I'm in the same boat, keep it as is or ream it. So far with the availability of ammo, I've kept it as is, plus I haven't started to reload yet. I would like to know how much improvement you get in the mini 6.8 if you do ream it.

Attachments

·
Registered
366 Posts
I have the Mini 6.8 SPC, also all original with the box, rings, mags and lock. I'm in the same boat, keep it as is or ream it. So far with the availability of ammo, I've kept it as is, plus I haven't started to reload yet. I would like to know how much improvement you get in the mini 6.8 if you do ream it.
I've used the crap out of mine. I was hog trapping one winter and was checking traps everyday.
EVERYwhere I had a trap set, I had to cross wheat pasture.
At that time of year, wheat pasture means market calves.
Market calves on wheat pasture means loose bowels.
Loose bowels leaves cow splatters instead of cow patties!
ATVs and calf splatters leave feet, legs and what ever is hanging in the gun rack splattered with ... well ... splatter ... so to speak! LOL!

Noticed my rifle barrel was getting green tinted! What? Oh! Calf splatter!
Thankfully, it scrubbed off just fine.

·
Registered
964 Posts
I honestly would not bother going SPCII with a Ruger with the original chamber. Before going any farther on the project get a Hornady LNL gage, the curved one might work with your rifle, and measure cartridge OAL to the lands. Depending on the reamer the chamber was cut with, you may already have plenty of bullet jump, such that you can load to mag length or longer with whatever bullets you are interested in using. In that case you have very little to gain from the SPCII.

If you have a super tight chamber and cannot load to or longer than mag length then, as others have stated, you might get a couple more GRANUALS of powder in the case safely with the SPCII. But is it really worth 50 to maybe 100 fps?

·
Registered
366 Posts
I honestly would not bother going SPCII with a Ruger with the original chamber. Before going any farther on the project get a Hornady LNL gage, the curved one might work with your rifle, and measure cartridge OAL to the lands. Depending on the reamer the chamber was cut with, you may already have plenty of bullet jump, such that you can load to mag length or longer with whatever bullets you are interested in using. In that case you have very little to gain from the SPCII.

If you have a super tight chamber and cannot load to or longer than mag length then, as others have stated, you might get a couple more GRANUALS of powder in the case safely with the SPCII. But is it really worth 50 to maybe 100 fps?
Very good information! Thank you!
I've interchanged factory/handloads with my Ruger Ranch and my AR's.
It doesn't seem to make any appreciable difference to either.
Just another reason to leave the Ruger chamber original.

·
Registered
1 Posts
All factory 6.8 ae created equal

If leaving the factory 1 in 10 inch twist barrel ,,, what gains are to be had by rechambering/reaming to the 6.8 SPC II ?
The only Factory ammo that I have found that has the original Bullet Ogive is the Remington. All others have the newer and improved bullets that the shoulder reaches into the rifling, thus needing the SPII chamber, irregardless of pressure/velocity.

The Ruger may have a longer throat than the original AR 6.8 so maybe OK, but to say ALL Factory ammo is OK maybe a little misleading.

I have 3 YH std barrels and the SSA ammo when simply dropped into the chamber, the bullets stick in the rifling, not so good.

A minor throating will correct either if needed, not so easy in the Mini 14 however as most thoaters are feed from the breach

You can try a box of say SSA ammo, clean the chamber well and just drop a loaded cartridge in and see if it hits the rifling as on my AR barrels.

Not a perfect test , but it can't hurt.

Another member has previously given a test measurement using and empty case with a flat base bullet reversed to measure the through.

I suspect this is why Ruger stopped making the Mini in 6.8, which is unfortunate.

Whyat

·
Registered
84 Posts

The only Factory ammo that I have found that has the original Bullet Ogive is the Remington. All others have the newer and improved bullets that the shoulder reaches into the rifling, thus needing the SPII chamber, irregardless of pressure/velocity.

The Ruger may have a longer throat than the original AR 6.8 so maybe OK, but to say ALL Factory ammo is OK maybe a little misleading.

I have 3 YH std barrels and the SSA ammo when simply dropped into the chamber, the bullets stick in the rifling, not so good.

A minor throating will correct either if needed, not so easy in the Mini 14 however as most thoaters are feed from the breach

You can try a box of say SSA ammo, clean the chamber well and just drop a loaded cartridge in and see if it hits the rifling as on my AR barrels.

Not a perfect test , but it can't hurt.

Another member has previously given a test measurement using and empty case with a flat base bullet reversed to measure the through.

I suspect this is why Ruger stopped making the Mini in 6.8, which is unfortunate.

Whyat
I'm afraid you lost me on this one. I understand the gist of it, but I'm a lost on the procedures. This seems to be an important step that I am not sure of. I shoot the SSA 100 grain Spitzer and Accubond from my Mini 6.8 and it seems to work fine.

·
Registered
748 Posts

Whyat
If this is the case, you may have some out of spec ammo. Regardless of bullet weight or design, if it meets SAMMI spec, then the ogive does NOT exceed the throat dimension of the SAMMI 6.8 chamber design. OR, your early YHM barrels are all out of spec. If you are using ORIGINAL SSA ammo, congratulations, you have ammo designed to be hotter than you can get and is probably marked "caution use only in SPC II chambers".

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Enjoy your rifle. Go shoot it. It will not make much difference beyond taking value off on the resale collector value.
You really won't notice much diff in velocities.

·
Registered
548 Posts
If it is in good condition sell it to a collector who will leave it in original condition and either build up a custom Mini in 6.8 or cheaper yet and more accuracy for the dollar build an AR 15. I now own three factory Ruger Mini 14s in 6.8 and leaving all in original 6.8 spc configuration. I had a custom Mini built in 6.8 spc II on a Kreiger single point cut rifled barrel and all the features necessary for a 1/2 MOA rifle but was not inexpensive. Thus far I have saved three Minis, two Hawkeyes and one Remington Police Tactical turn bolt from being altered. They are not and will not make any more so every one of the few out there modified will never be an original rifle again. If someone wants to sell any original Ruger or Remington 6.8 spc rifles I am always looking to save more at a fair price.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts