6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering. I have a bison armory upper and will have a mini soon. I'd like to shoot the same loads if possible. What do you think...is it worth it and who might you suggest to do it? Thanks! Doug

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
Sure, it'll be worth it. There are at least a few on here who've reamed theirs. I'm sure they'll be along shortly to tell you their experiences.

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
All you have to do is stay away from a few hotter loads and keep is like it is...most 6.8 ammo will be ok to shoot.

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
I had it done because a 1 in Bah-Tera-Jillion-Gillion chance happened to let mine get done. I like having both able to handle hotter ammo and I don't have to keep things to separate. I also got an ARP 18" upper made by H that all so use mostly during deer season and other specialty hunts, but the Mini gets used most of the other year round.

But with most every one loading SAAMI ammo commercially probably no biggie if you don't. Unless you reload that is. But the Spec II chamber reduces pressure and does make the factory loads shoot safer all around.

On a side note, mine seems to love the 115 Fusions and from what I read if its correct they have proper performance down to around 1600 FPS, that gets the bullet out a good distance.

If you shoot that Mini long enough it will open up on its own.

·
Registered
153 Posts
How accurate are Minis? Serious question. I'd love to track down a Mini 6.8 & get it reamed to SPCII. If they're "for real" 2 MOA capable, I'd be all over it.

·
Registered
566 Posts
How accurate are Minis? Serious question. I'd love to track down a Mini 6.8 & get it reamed to SPCII. If they're "for real" 2 MOA capable, I'd be all over it.

Mini's are like a "mini" M14/M1A. So, in stock form, usually it'll do 2-3 MOA at best. If it's been used a lot over the years, maybe 4 MOA. They're great for plinking, and maybe a decent go-to rifle in an emergency, but not something that you would want in combat when there are better choices. That said, I'd take a Mini-30 over an AK any day of the week. It's lighter, shoots the same ammo, and is about the same in accuracy. Also made in USA. What's not to like about that?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replys!

I also have a Bison Armory upper that I like very much. I shoot 28.7 gr AA2230 and 28gr of H322 with 115gr sierras. Really accurate loads in the Bison...but...Should I get the Mini done so that I can shot these loads as well???? Or am I within spec to not worry about it??

BTW....Can anyone suggest a smith that can do the chamber work for me????

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
Just google 6.8 spc II reamer. There are several options to rent or buy. If you choose to buy one, I doubt you'd have much trouble selling it here after you use it.

·
Registered
361 Posts
My brand new mini tactical in 5.56 will hold about a 1.5" until the barrel gets warmer (around 10 shots) as for the 6.8 I can't speak. There is a company rechambering and converting your mini14 to 6.8/.204ruger and others. It isn't cheap though. Around $700-900 job. But they do include an accuracy guarantee with the build. I've been tempted to do it, but I'd rather not send my new 5.56/.223 in, if I found a good deal on an older mini for cheap that had a good receiver I'd really consider it. $700-900 is a new rifle.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I don't know if these will work on a Ruger's 6.8 barrel or not, ( maybe the version designed for the Mini-30 might ) but these will help tighten up the accuracy:

http://www.accu-strut.com/

Probably just e-mail or call 'em to see if these are compatible with 6.8 barrels.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Problem ...........

..........,you will need a pull thru reamer unless you take your bbl off.

I have a 6.8 Mini and have shot some fairly hot loads in it,including some of the older SSA Barnes 85gr TAC loads which I consider about as hot as they get. These loads shot well and have done no damage to my weapon. I have also shot some of my handloads out of it. These loads are a 85gr at just over 3100fps out of my 18" Bison using H4198. The vels out of the 18" Mini are unknown. I have installed a buffer by Buffer Tech in it. The thickness of this buffer has been reduced by about 1/3rd to facilitate proper ejection and reloading. Initially,the bolt was not traveling far enough to the rear.

QUESTION --> How many documented cases are there of a 6.8SPC (non II) Ruger Mini blowing up or otherwise sustaining damage from using any load that is deamed OK for a AR chambered in 6.8SPCII ?? --- pruhdlr

·
Registered
646 Posts
..........,you will need a pull thru reamer unless you take your bbl off.

I have a 6.8 Mini and have shot some fairly hot loads in it,including some of the older SSA Barnes 85gr TAC loads which I consider about as hot as they get. These loads shot well and have done no damage to my weapon. I have also shot some of my handloads out of it. These loads are a 85gr at just over 3100fps out of my 18" Bison using H4198. The vels out of the 18" Mini are unknown. I have installed a buffer by Buffer Tech in it. The thickness of this buffer has been reduced by about 1/3rd to facilitate proper ejection and reloading. Initially,the bolt was not traveling far enough to the rear.

QUESTION --> How many documented cases are there of a 6.8SPC (non II) Ruger Mini blowing up or otherwise sustaining damage from using any load that is deamed OK for a AR chambered in 6.8SPCII ?? --- pruhdlr
Good advice. I reload for 3 - 6.8's, a Mini (18.5"), an ARP (16") and a bolt action (20"). Most of my loads are a bit warm, but I've had no problems firing them through the Mini. It seems the throat of the Mini's chamber is a little longer than SAAMI spec. I decided not to ream mine because it was so accurate (for a Mini) and I didn't want to take the risk that reaming it would hurt accuracy. My Mini will consistently shoot 1.5 MOA or better with most handloads. Of course, the trigger has been reworked and I've mounted a 2-7x40 Burris Fullfield scope. The bolt gun and the AR are more accurate, but the Mini is just plain fun to shoot!:a01:

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
Mine went from 1.75 groups from to under MOA with 110 SSA accubonds after reaming, but H said that can happens at times.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Re. My 6.8 Mini .....

At one time I thought very seriously about reaming mine. As I was looking around for a reamer,I was working up loads for it. It shot good with most any load that I came up with including a fairly hot 95gr Barnes TTSX load set back off the lands quite a ways. I found that it also shoots the factory Fed Fusion 115gr loads great as it does the factory Hornady 120gr SST's.

One of the weak points of a Mini in any chambering is it's trigger. I have reworked my trigger and it breaks at a honest 4lbs 2ozs(as per the digital Lyman trigger pull gauge) without any creep at all at second stage letoff. The Mini will never be a target rifle. It was not designed to be. It is what it is ..... HOWEVER .....you can quite easily make it somewhat better.

I really would like to put a low powered Leupold on it and use it for close range hogs. Was thinking about using it for night hunting with thermal,but now I have a AR/6.8/pistol that I have been using in that manner. --- pruhdlr

·
Registered
17 Posts
I was lucky enough to find a 6.8 mini here locally and was thinking of using a reamer also. Is there anyone still renting them out?

Also when I read people saying not to shoot hot loads with the mini, does that mean don't shoot any of the SSA ammo?

Sorry if this has been beat to death but I'm not familiar with the mini's

·
Registered
8,695 Posts
I was lucky enough to find a 6.8 mini her locally and was thinking of using a reamer also. Is there anyone still renting them out?

Also when I read people saying not to shoot hot loads with the mini, does that mean don't shoot any of the SSA ammo?

Sorry if this has been beat to death but I'm not familiar with the mini's
It is recommended to NOT shoot the SSA TAC or older Combat loads in the Mini 6.8, Wilson Combat also loaded some 95 gr Barnes bullets at somewhere around 2800 fps that are also not recommended.

This is my understanding.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts