6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a chance to pick up a lightly used RRA factory barrel with 2-300 rounds through it. Seller says it's 18", SS, Fluted, mid gas, spcII chamber, match grade. I would use it to build a hunting gun and would be happy with MOA performance. Don't really need it, but would like to build a hunting AR as all mine are match rifles (read: very heavy) or varmint with long barrels.

How good are these barrels? I'm familiar with their service rifle offerings which are solid performers but haven't heard much about their 6.8 stuff.

Secondly, what would be fair to offer the seller for this barrel? Neither he, nor I are certain on value, and I really don't want to spend more than what an ARP goes for.

Any opinions are appreciated.

-Alexander

·
Banned
1,883 Posts
their stuff is solid as far as I know/heard.
they usually offer sub moa guarantee
the fluting adds some value to the right buyers
However, if it where me, i would grab an ARP 16" scout barrel melonite, will weigh 6+ oz.s less, esp. since all your others are heavy already

·
Premium Member
10,460 Posts
That is off their X-1 rifle. Probably a decent barrel. I would not offer more than an ARP, Black Hole, Bison, etc barrel from one of the sponsors here.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What's the asking price, if you don't mind?
Neither of us have agreed on a price, all he did was mention he upgraded his rifle and I asked what he did with the old barrel. So we're both trying figure out a fair market value for this lightly used RRA barrel.

I most certainly will not pay more for a used RRA (fluted or not) than a new ARP or similar, I'd rather buy that.

He did say it will come with a WC adjustable gas block, which will add to the price, but I don't really need or want an adjustable on an 18" mid length barrel.

-Alexander

·
Registered
4,110 Posts
Neither of us have agreed on a price, all he did was mention he upgraded his rifle and I asked what he did with the old barrel. So we're both trying figure out a fair market value for this lightly used RRA barrel.

I most certainly will not pay more for a used RRA (fluted or not) than a new ARP or similar, I'd rather buy that.

He did say it will come with a WC adjustable gas block, which will add to the price, but I don't really need or want an adjustable on an 18" mid length barrel.

-Alexander
$150-$175 would be a fair price IMO. You could easily sell the adjustable gas block to recoup some of the $$.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
The RRA barrel is a 6 groove 1:10 twist piece. All of them are, or at least they have been. If it matters to you. It matters less to me now.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The RRA barrel is a 6 groove 1:10 twist piece. All of them are, or at least they have been. If it matters to you. It matters less to me now.
My current match gun is a 6 groove 10 twist and shoots pretty damn good, I don't really worry about it.

@303 Hunter, that's sounds about right, at least close to what I was thinking anyways. Well see what he comes up with.

-Alexander

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
My current match gun is a 6 groove 10 twist and shoots pretty damn good, I don't really worry about it.
I have two older models from 2010. I changed one to a "high speed low drag" from BHW. I don't doubt it is as good as they say, but I also realized I am not shooting at Camp Perry with it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts