6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK second lower, now do you get Roll Pins in with out having to hammer them?

I lubricated with several oils and grease, still they require a bashing and smashing at times.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
OK second lower, now do you get Roll Pins in with out having to hammer them?

I lubricated with several oils and grease, still they require a bashing and smashing at times.
I have never ever had luck hammering them in. I have put 5 lowers together, and only used a pair of vice grips. Got 2 more that are going to do the same

·
Administrator
22,080 Posts
Roll pin starting tool and light taps with a very light Gunsmithing mallet is all I've needed. Brownell's sells the tools.

·
Banned
61 Posts
the trick is to use a solid piece of wood backside of lower. if you dont have a firm backing the energy from hammer will not transfer to pin and just "push" pin and lower in same direction. (if married and want to stay married, dont use kitchen table.)
I use a needle nose, stuff pin in hole nice and straight, then tap in while still holding with needle nose, once started i switch to roll pin punch

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
I do vice grips and sometimes a dremmel one end of the roll pin just a little bit to take the burr off where the pin splits and to round off the edge.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
I use an old needle nose pliers that I modified to hold the pin, and another set wrapped with friction tape to push it in.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
I usually hold the pin in place with needle nose pliers while gently tapping to get it started, then tap the rest of the way in with small hammer and a punch. But buying the roll pin starter punch like Ratdog mentioned makes it a lot easier.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Compressing the pin with vise grips is the best and easiest way that I've found. But you have to do it gently or you'll ruin the pin. With the right pressure on the pin, you can push the end of the pin into the hole for the trigger guard and the gas block. The bolt catch pin still needs the recessed starter punch and a little rounding of the end of the pin with a sander or dremel for easy starting.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Roll pin and starter punches with a gunsmith hammer works fine for me, specially like Brownells bolt catch pin punch. I used to do the vise-grip press method, like using the hammer better.

·
Super Moderator
12,228 Posts
Roll pin starting tool and light taps with a very light Gunsmithing mallet is all I've needed. Brownell's sells the tools.
This is the way I do it. It helps to use the proper tools sometimes. Roll pin starters are a big help. I have a set of two with a different size hole on each end then there is one designed specifically for the gas block roll pin.

·
Administrator
22,080 Posts
This is the way I do it. It helps to use the proper tools sometimes. Roll pin starters are a big help. I have a set of two with a different size hole on each end then there is one designed specifically for the gas block roll pin.
And, we all know... he who dies with the most tools wins !!

·
Registered
906 Posts
I am with the others on the starter/punch approach. There are others, but here is what I use:

Roll Pin Starters: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/694883/schuster-ar-15-roll-pin-starter-punch-set-2-piece-steel

Roll Pin Punch Set: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/363683/grace-usa-roll-pin-punch-set-7-piece-steel

3-oz hammer: http://www.harborfreight.com/double-sided-mallet-with-wooden-handle-98285.html

The punch sets do go on sale at Midway or Amazon from time to time.

Add a drop of oil to the pins before you start. If you can't get them started in a few taps with a light hammer, they are either over sized or the holes are under sized. You can force it, but I'd rather just try a different roll pin. I've had good lunch with roll pins sourced from RRA and WOA with the latter being my go-to source now for LPK items. The pins that came in my DD LPK were very snug.

For the trigger guard pin, I support the dog ears on a piece of wood.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I usually go the taped vise grips and small punch on the others. Supporting the lower is very important so it doesn't move while installing the roll pin.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
I have Gracie roll pin starter punches and also a gas block roll pin starter punch. Investing in the right tools for the job is the best way to not have issues during assembly.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I have Gracie roll pin starter punches and also a gas block roll pin starter punch. Investing in the right tools for the job is the best way to not have issues during assembly.
🔼🔼
This! And I also got a wheeler ar bench block. It makes things SO much easier!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Personally I use a small hammer and a roll pin punch and the edge of my bar in my kitchen. That bolt catch roll pin can be a pain sometimes.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts