6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i have been plotting and scheming to find a reason to buy a nickel 1911. You know, mexican police chief especial. No chance of me working my self up to spend $1k plus on one, and haven't found any build kits that really seem to make sense when Rock Island Armory has them for 4-600. Does anyone have any experience with RIA 1911's? What do you think? Tough to beat the price point. Although there are a few other companies pumping them out of the Philippines, I have yet to find them offered in nickel. RIA has a full size nickel model in the mid $500s that would be a great blank canvas for engraving. Fixed standard sights though, which I am not thrilled about. But realistically, this would be more of a collection piece than anything.

Below is for drooling purposes only. Jesse James sure puts out some damn good looking weapons.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
I have a ria tactical. I've had to replace some parts to get it to work. And I'm concerned I'm not done yet. The slide stop would engage when you shot it. Even with rounds still in the mag. It was out of spec I guess. Replaced it with a Wilson. That problem is fixed. The magazine catch was too soft and rounded off. The mags started falling out when I was shooting it. I replaced it with a Wilson. Took huge amount of fitting to get it to fit. After 100 rounds I can now see it is also rounding off. It barely engages the magazine. I'm starting to think it is a frame problem. I have maybe 750 rounds through the gun.

It is a freaking tack driver however. Easily outshoots my kimber. I know lots of guys get good ones. I did not however. I'm gonna keep shooting it. If the mag catch problem shows up again I'm going to reinstall the original and send it back. I've heard good things about their warranty.

·
Registered
8,149 Posts
STI uses RIA frames in their lower end guns. Therefore we work on them occasionally. They work but the metallurgy isn't the greatest and they are not out of spec persay as they are all consistent but they aren't in spec to the original design. They don't fit the machining jigs designed specifically for 1911s. Also when doing jobs such as trigger jobs it's not uncommon to find the pin holes on the left side and right side of the frame to have different IDs. They work fine usually and are usually money well spent but if you plan to do any upgrades not what I'd recommend.

There is a reason we don't work on them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
798 Posts
I have a ria tactical. I've had to replace some parts to get it to work. And I'm concerned I'm not done yet. The slide stop would engage when you shot it. Even with rounds still in the mag. It was out of spec I guess. Replaced it with a Wilson. That problem is fixed. The magazine catch was too soft and rounded off. The mags started falling out when I was shooting it. I replaced it with a Wilson. Took huge amount of fitting to get it to fit. After 100 rounds I can now see it is also rounding off. It barely engages the magazine. I'm starting to think it is a frame problem. I have maybe 750 rounds through the gun.

It is a freaking tack driver however. Easily outshoots my kimber. I know lots of guys get good ones. I did not however. I'm gonna keep shooting it. If the mag catch problem shows up again I'm going to reinstall the original and send it back. I've heard good things about their warranty.
I guess I got a good one. I also have the tactical model and have never had problem one with it. As sucngas said it is very accurate and to me soft shooting. It is easy to get back on target after firing. For the money, it was the best option for me.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Consensus I've seen from people with RIA 1911 pistols is they are reliable, decent shooters. They make a lot of pistols at a very budget oriented price, so I'm sure some lemons slip through QC, but I've heard their CS is pretty good.

I wouldn't consider them as anything more than a basic shooter, so if you want to upgrade I'd look for a different pistol.

I'm thinking about picking up a RIA in 10mm, although I'm a bit concerned about a budget 1911 handling full power 10 mm loads.

·
Registered
833 Posts
I own the 514 tac series 45 with factory Mepro night sights. The only complaint I have is the ambi safety is large and digs in my index knuckle as well as the bottom of the back strap edge is sharp and uncomfortable. That being said my hands from years of chemical contact the skin tears easily.
It is not a piece I would consider upgrading and for the money spent would have rather bought a Desert Eagle. It does what it is intended for, shoots well and reliable so far.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Consensus I've seen from people with RIA 1911 pistols is they are reliable, decent shooters. They make a lot of pistols at a very budget oriented price, so I'm sure some lemons slip through QC, but I've heard their CS is pretty good.

I wouldn't consider them as anything more than a basic shooter, so if you want to upgrade I'd look for a different pistol.

I'm thinking about picking up a RIA in 10mm, although I'm a bit concerned about a budget 1911 handling full power 10 mm loads.
I have an RIA in 10mm. Have only shot maybe 100 rounds. No issues for me. Did let my buddy shoot two mags and it jammed twice on him. I kind of wonder if it was him limp wristing it or what

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I own two, one is the full size Tac which has been problem free and the officer Tac model that had some problems and went back to their smith shop. Once I got it back it eats everything I feed it - ball, HP's and semi-wad cutters.

·
Registered
5,500 Posts
I have a tac 10mm version, they are ok for the money. Would I buy one as a collector's piece or a build host no. I use mine for sidearm when in the woods.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts