6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received an 18" 6.8 ARP 5R midweight barrel on the 25th of May to see how it compares with my BHW 18" 6.8 SPC II barrel.
Over the Memorial Weekend I ordered two ALG Defense EMR V2 M-LOK rails ALG had on sale. So since I had the barrel out, I decided to check out where the projectiles touch the lands.
All of the "New in a box" projectiles will allow for longer than ASC magazine length, 2.315".
But I was having an issue with some of my pulled Federal Gold Dots.
Most of the projectiles will seat longer than 2.315". But about a third will catch in the Throat/Leade of the chamber because of the distortion of the projectile from being pulled. These seat at an average of 2.235".
My BHW will allow for longer than magazine length on all the Federal pulls I have tested. My C.O.A.L. with these projectiles is 2.260".

Distorted projectile seating at 2.236".

So to remedy this issue I ordered a Lee Bullet Lube and Sizing kit, .278".
I'm using Redding Imperial sizing wax to lube the bullets instead of the supplied Alox lube.
Have it set up in my Lee hand press.

The bullets push through quite easily with Imperial wax.

Now the same bullet after going through the sizer.

After sizing, seats at 2.283".

The projectile pictured will now allow me to still seat the bullet to 2.260". Other projectiles seat longer after resizing. I guess it depends how distorted the individual projectiles are.

Just wanted to give you a heads up.
My adventures in the 6.8 SPC realm continue.

Glenn

·
Registered
4,582 Posts
gp3, interesting. A lead-core bullet is likely to have some distortion occur when pulled. I've have had distortion issues using a collet puller with the very soft .277 Accubond Long Range bullets. The lead core is so soft the bullet just squeezes down in diameter while staying seated in the case. I've had to go with an impact puller for them.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts