6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a tri-pod that has served me well for the last 5 years. The stitching in the chair's porous fabric has finally deteriorated and come apart. I'm having trouble finding a business that will sow me a replacement chair seat. Have any of you guys run into this situation and found a solution?

Thanks in advanced.

Current Seat Condition lowres.jpg

·
Registered
124 Posts
I have used an auto/boat upholstery shop for these in the past.
+1

I have had boat upholstery shops repair/rebuild several canvas items for me including hunting seats. Even though BOAT stands for Break Out Another Thousand, they have actually turned out to be less expensive then chair upholstery shops.

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Your right. I should keep calling. The first one said no, second didn't have the right material. I found the material on-line so I should re-engage.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Why don't you just take the seat off and then glue your material to the existing foam core way cheaper than having someone do it for you? I am going to use the material from these guys when I get a second to redo our golf cart.

·
Super Moderator
21,638 Posts
Marine canvas top maker, upholstery shop for marine/auto would be my second choice. Know any old timers who recover seats for farm equipment? Ask around if you don't... and have farms in your area.

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the suggestions. Here is the fabric I found.

Found a guy that does convertible tops for cars in his backyard workshop that agreed to do this. I think the shops doing marine work are too busy with folks trying to get their boats back on the water. I have a friend who works that industry and they are running short on product in this COVID situation.

Reactions: Guts

·
Registered
124 Posts
After seeing your post today, I noticed a van while driving across the city that did mobile commercial/residential awning repair. An awning manufacturer may be another avenue to explore if the covertable top guy doesn't pan out.

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Guts, you just provided the key word. "Awning repair near me" brought up multiple services that do customer work with the material needed for an outdoor seat. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Sometimes I really take having a wife that knows how to sew for advantage. If it was me I would have had her just whip me up a seat cover but wasn't sure that was an option for you. I am a lucky guy thank god I tell her that all the time. Although I do buy her all the equipment she needs for these kinds of projects so there is that....

Good Luck Xman let us know how it finally turns out.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Glad I could help!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts