6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have shot my Remington 308 a few times now but this range time was just for it today. It was suppose to be break in for another 6.8 upper as well but I forgot the mag, no biggies.

I have put close to 40 rounds through it before I got to the range today, the first 10 I cleaned after every shot then I starter cleaning between every 5 shots. but when I got to the range today I noticed there still looked like copper on the lands at the crown of the barrel.

I had 60 rounds of the SSA 175 grain BTHP ammo that is suppose to be the same as the .mil M118LR loading. I shot all rounds at a ranged 100 yards

Here is the rifle:

I have the dewey rod and the correct patch holder and brushes.
I started off by firing 1 round then putting 2 patches of KG12 a copper cleaner through the barrel, then I would do 20 passes with a bore brush soaked in the same cleaner re applying after 10 passes through. then I would put two patches of hoppes number 9 through then one or two dry patches through the patches came out clean after two so then I would put one patch with rem oil down the barrel. Then I would fire another round. I did that for the first 10 rounds. the barrel was coming out clean and the patches were going through smooth but that tiny bit of copper was still there at the end of the barrel. after the first 10 I started cleaning after every 2 rounds.
After that box I started doing that same cleaning after every 5 rounds for the next box. the last box of ammo I cleaned after every 10 rounds.

here is the target with all 60 rounds in it.

That mess around the center of the target was a mixture of me screwing up and when it switched from left to right I changed the POI on my scope trying to get it center and I went to far :D
then I went to the bottom left target for the 2nd box the rounds started out high and went higher when I was trying to get the POI to go lower. I wanted to be 1.5 inches high at 100 but I got annoyed and cranked it way low and got those three right in the middle. it would of been a nice three shot group if I didnt send the last one to the left a little. It has been a long time since I have shot for groups like this and I wasn't in the zone as well as I would of liked to be. the bottom right target was 10 rounds out of the last box, I dont know how that one got so low. like I said I was kinda sucking today.
the top right target has 10 rounds fired slowly and taking some time in between to dry fire. the first five weren't great but the last five made that little group left of the box.
The trigger on this rifle is very nice and I need to work on my shooting to get really get this rifle to shoot to its potential. I think it will shoot sub MOA all day long with that factory ammo. I just need to match it.

A couple of questions though: do I need to let the KG12 sit in the barrel longer? is that why there is still some copper in the barrel? I was letting it sit in there after the brush scrubbing for 3-5 minutes but should it be more like 10-20 minutes?
Does this sound like the correct way to break in the barrel? I have one of constructors uppers I need to shoot (which was suppose to be today) but I dont want to mess the break in up.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Yep you are doing it correctly.

Honestly though Rem barrel can vary greatly in how rough they are. Now with any factory barrel I always use Tubbs Final Finish to fire lap the barrel first. With that there is nothing more to breakin the barrel in. I woudl clean after every 10 for a couple of boxes after that only when the accuracy drops off.

Some factory barrel can take forever to break in the normal way if they have a lots of chatter if ever. Tubbs offers loaded FF ammo for the 308 so you don't need to reload.

On the copper in the barrel. Are you saying there is coper in the barrel after you clean or that it is still fouling near the muzzle?

KG12 is by far the best coper remover I have ever used. If you still have copper in the barrel after cleaning to me means one of two things. It is fouling very badly in that one spot and jsut needs more work or becasue its at the end you may not be getting much of th solvent down as its at the end. KG12 is not ammonia based so you can lave it in the barrel for a good amount of time without issue. I woudl make sure you get it in that spot well and then leave it a bit longer after you have hit it with the brush. With KG the patches will show brown from copper not blue green like normal ammonia based cleaners.

Here is a picture of how faint it can be but its actually etching the cooper which no other cleaner does like this.

This is courtesy FrFrog @ http://www.frfrogspad.com/cleaners.htm

What I would do is make sure that spot is absolutely clean of all copper and then shoot it once run a carbon cleaner down the bore so you can check and see if its fouled in that spot and keep going till you see the coper show up. shooting will do no good in smoothing out th bore if its already covering in copper.All shots once coated are a waste for smoothing out that spot that is covered. If you are getting it clean and after only a few shots its fouled still after what you have done I really suggest the Tubbs Final Finish and or have someone with a bore scope take a look at that area and see if the bore is OK in that area or if it has a bad defect.

Once you get to where you can be shoot over 10 rounds without fouling IMO its GTG. Then I woudl only clean the carbon until the accuracy starts to fall of to much.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I don't know how long you should leave the product you're using in the barrel, but if copper is present in the patches(2 to 3 clean patches) after scrubbing it ,i would give it another going over with a brush until you see none.The correct way to run in barrels? take your pick i suppose its who you talk to about this one:lol:(best to PM constructor & see what he recommends). When i run my rifles in I shoot one round and clean for the first 20, then 1 in ten for the next 50 rounds.I just make sure i give the barrel enough time to cool down. Rem trigger ok :eek: :shock: usually they need a little work, but you know what they say , if it ain't broke don't fix it :) I'm just curious why you run a patch of rem oil down the barrel before shooting it again & when you say compact do you mean LTR ?
Here is my wife's 308w.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Yep there about a billion ways to breakin a barrel that is why I use th FF as it ends all the BS with it. With match hand lapped barrels I only use the smoothest bullets as the only thing that is needed is to smooth out the throat from the chambering.With factory barrels I go thru the whole deal of 50 bullets. The max the throat ever moves even on thos4e soft Shilens is .0005.and its very nice and smooth.

If you think abut what you are doing technically you would want to shoot no more then 1 and clean until you do not get any trace of copper then more to 2 until there is no trace and 3 and then 4 so on till you get to at least 10 with no fouling. Any shot extra if there is copper coating any rough area is a waste.

·
Registered
7,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Constructor is who told me how to break in the barrel and he is the one that said to use the oil in the last patch.

Tim- You think I need to use the tubbs FF ammo?the barrel seems pretty smooth when I run a patch down it after I run one to get the fouling out. I will do a search for the fire ammo and see what comes up.

it is the compact tactical in 308. it has a 20 inch barrel instead of the 24 and it has a coating on it.
http://www.remington.com/products/firea ... ctical.asp

the trigger is the new Remington trigger that is suppose to compete with the savage accutrigger, I can adjust it but it breaks almost as nice as my timney I have in my 03A3

·
Registered
441 Posts
All I can say is that I do.

Do you NEED to? Well if you are getting fouling before you have shot 10 shots then I say yes. If its smooth as you say and you don't get fouling for a well over 10 then no. I was going off you have gone thru a decent break in and you are saying you are getting obvious fouling in 10 shots. If I miss read that then that's different.

What I do is factory barrels that are rough the whole set. 50 shots total

If they feel smooth the last 2-3 finest sets in the kit. 20-30 shots

For match barrel but not hand lapped last 2 -3 sets 20-30 shots

For hand lapped the last set in the kit for the throat only. 10 shots

Works every time.

If you have a bore scope you can really pin point how much you need.

After that all I do is clean every 10 like most do all the time but only for one range session after that only clean when accuracy falls off.

All I do is run carbon remover after each session and an Slip2000 patch and put it away. Before I shoot I run a dry patch to gt out all but a very light coat of oil out( Never shoot a dry bore)

When accuracy hits 1 moa or over with a 0.5moa shooter I do a thorough cleaning and then shoot 10 or so rounds to re-burnish the barrel. Its usually good for a long time in a very smooth bore.

·
Registered
276 Posts
"adjust t it but ialmost as nice athe trigger is the new Remington trigger that is suppose to compete with the savage accutrigger, I can breaks s my timney I have in my 03A3"[/quote] After checking out your link, I stand corrected on the trigger , I was under the assumption that it had the old x mark pro trigger in it ,if its on par with the timney it would be good :D

·
Registered
0 Posts
I love my Custom 308. PSS- i been neglecting it since i got the 6.8 :lol: - bad -bad
i try to rotate my rifles at the range,but im having so much fun learning/testing /shooting the 6.8

·
Registered
7,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Tim I am getting fouling, but the patch puches through pretty easy after the first one goes through.

I ordered the loaded FF ammo with I guess only comes with 20 shots. we will see how it goes I suppose.

·
Registered
7,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
For an update, I got the final finish and shot 19 of the 20 rounds, one of the rounds refused to chamber and after closer inspection was all jacked up. I cleaned per the instructions. I then fired 5 and cleaned and 5 more of the factory SSA 308 loading. I am still getting some fouling but it is more consistent around the bore. I called tubbs back up and they said to use 10 rounds of their other loading that is the finer compound, fire 5 and clean and then 5 more. THis was the friday before I left so I will have to do that when I get home next time. The rifle is still shooting very well though. Slightly under 1 moa at 100 with the SSA 175 factory seconds.

I will update this in a few more months :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts