6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How can anyone shoot that stuff? I took 5 uppers to the range today to check operation before I sent them out.
This time I thought I would use the worst ammo to ensure they cycle. What a bunch of junk!!! The gas ports were .083 and the uppers would not cycle completely and pick up another round.
The SSA commercial was fine. I need to put a note in the box saying use with SSA ammo only.
I refuse to open a gas port to .100 and trash an accurate barrel just to get them to function with Remington ammo.

·
Registered
176 Posts
The Remington junk don't suprise me but Hornady does, both Hornady loads in my Cardinal upper funtion excellent.

·
Registered
7,444 Posts
C- I shot the remington as range practice at 25 and was doing double taps with it, I did it using my old upper and your and they both worked fine. The hornandy I have never had a problem, sometime the 110Vmax and sometimes the 110 tap but they are the same. The only rounds I have had issues with your uppers in is the 90 grainers (not combat loaded) like I told you about, and it will feed them now just short strokes, and every once in a while with the sandB ammo.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Constructer, The hornady suprises me but the Remington does not. Rem ammo has always been under powered compared to others. Not just in 6.8

·
Registered
441 Posts
My bet is it was only Rem or maybe the old Hdy. Depending on what Rem load was used it can be very under powered. They do have that one loading that is as hot as SSA but accuracy is shit. The other stuff they have is lower pressure then even the Hrdy old stuff. I very much doubt it was the new Hdy ammo as I have had no issues with it either.

·
Registered
108 Posts
just had a thought, and keep in mind, I'm nowhere near an ammo guy, handloader or anything. I buy stuff and shoot it, nothing more.

With that, all these factory loads are intended for a std. SAAMI chamber and all these new chambers being used, lowering pressures inside the chamber is obviously going to have a potential for causing problems with standard or 'old school' loads. What worries me is making these alterations and it becoming standardized as far as chamber work but then some of the standard factory loads not having the right pressures to allow it to cycle, thus causing problems for 'new owners' who are just interested in shooting, not loading (like me) and giving the cartridge a bad name. See where I'm going? May be far fetched, it was just a thought.

·
Registered
394 Posts
sredish said:
just had a thought, and keep in mind, I'm nowhere near an ammo guy, handloader or anything. I buy stuff and shoot it, nothing more.

With that, all these factory loads are intended for a std. SAAMI chamber and all these new chambers being used, lowering pressures inside the chamber is obviously going to have a potential for causing problems with standard or 'old school' loads. What worries me is making these alterations and it becoming standardized as far as chamber work but then some of the standard factory loads not having the right pressures to allow it to cycle, thus causing problems for 'new owners' who are just interested in shooting, not loading (like me) and giving the cartridge a bad name. See where I'm going? May be far fetched, it was just a thought.
My qualifications are the same as yours and have come to the same conclusion.

I have a LMT MRP that has the SAAMI chamber and a 1 in 10 twist.
The Remington ammo is 100% reliable and VERY clean burning.
I know it has a bad reputation for accuracy, but I am such a bad shot I cannot tell.

8)

·
Registered
108 Posts
I buy strictly Hornady TAP for the 6.8. No problems thus far. I try as hard as I can not to buy ANY Remington ammo...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts