6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. In this, my second post, I wanted to solicit some assistance with reloading the 6.8 SPC. My setup is pretty straight forward - I normally reload for my .30-06 and 7mm Rem Mag bolt guns...pretty straight forward. However, today at the range I learned that the 6.8 SPC is a different beast. I've got an RCBS Summit and Hornady Custom dies.

In the process of de priming and resizing PPU cases (because all I have atm or LRP and cannot find SRP anywhere!), completely wrecked one zip spindle...so that was an interesting start to this odyssey. Eventually re-sized (or so I thought) my cases and trimmed everything to ~ 1.687" or so. I seated my CCI LRPs, threw a ladder of AA2200, seated my 110 gn V-Max and off I went.

I had two failures to fire - one with a good primer strike and no "pop" and one without. Neither case extracted from the chamber without mortaring the rifle (which moved my scope...that I may have forgotten to torque...oops...fixed...doh!).

I suspect that, despite breaking the internals on my die, I still didn't get the cases properly resized...not sure what else would cause them to stick in the chamber. They seemed to chamber without issue...but the lack of a primer strike on the second indicates that it might be slightly out of battery...again,and indictment of the sizing.

This is the 3rd failed of a CCI primer in the last 11 rounds...I'm not sure what's going on there, but I'm gonna be a sad kid if my primers have gone bad given how hard it is to get them.

Two questions, several parts:
1. Does it seem like my sizing die isn't setup correctly and what suggestions do you all have that might help?
2. Thoughts on the primer issue? (1x today, and 2 of my last 10 last week in my .30-06)

·
Registered
148 Posts
So I recently had an issue with 308 Win that may shed some light on the stuck cases. I have been shooting a Rem 700 that was made back in the 1980s. Been reloading with a Redding die. I have a RCBS small base die, but have never used it. Recently picked up a newer Rem 700 (2012 barrel code) and the ammo that I loaded for the older rifle would not chamber and would actually get stuck. Started measuring cases and found the the older Rem had a larger chamber at the base area, right in front of the extractor groove. The Redding die was resizing the cases to fit in the old chamber which was fine, but that rifle is getting a new barrel. I had to resize all the previously resized brass with the small base die and that brass now works in the newer rifle. I hope that I can go back to the Redding die on the next reloads. A small base die may fix your issue.

On another note, I reload 223 for three different rifles. AR-15, Rem 700, and a Ruger #3. I started off with a RCBS small base die for the AR, and do not have any other 223 dies. I have had no problem shooting the reloads through any of the rifles and have not noticed any case separation issues yet. I do plan to get a regular 223 die for the Rem and Ruger at some point.

For the light primer strikes, someone can chime in, but would bumping the shoulder too far back cause that? I am asking because I don't know, just guessing.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Light primer strikes CAN be caused by bumping the shoulder back too far because your rounds head-space off the shoulder. For an AR, you want to bump your shoulder back about .003-.005" back from a fired round in that chamber. You shouldn't have any problems with that amount of bump. Now for the OP's question. First, are you using the built in crimp feature of your die? If so, QUIT! The built in crimp feature on a die set works fine for bolt guns, but creates trouble in a semi-auto chamber. Back out the crimp stem until it doesn't contact the brass at all. Next, measure your fired brass shoulder. If you don't have a shoulder bump gauge, you can use a fired 9mm case. The number you get isn't important, just use that as a reference and set die up by running the case into the sizing die and measuring the shoulder again. Screw the die in or out as necessary until you get the correct shoulder bump and then you are ready to reload. Also, all you measurements should be made after de-priming the brass. After you set the die and run a few cases through, I always check them in the rifle chamber before continuing. With the rifle separated into to halves, insert a re-sized case in the chamber and you should be able to close the bolt completely using your thumb on the rear of the bolt carrier with only a minimum amount of pressure. If that works, you should be good to go with the rest of your sizing and loading. If you have FTF after insuring the loads are sized correctly, then you have an issue with your stash of primers and may have to try to source some others to confirming that problem. Good luck guys and I'm sure there will be other tips and things I have left out.

Reactions: DJL2

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Not saying you didn't get bad primers but it's rare . I have experienced the same thing you are and it was loading die crimp causing it . I switched to Lee collet die and problem solved . As far as bad primers it's possible but the only problem I ever had was my fault or the guns .

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Right, sounds like I can address the die - it's set for a very light crimp. I will correct that. I will pull the bullets, dump the powder and re-size all the currently loaded cases as well as my relatively small stash. My objective for these was a full length resize...I hadn't even considered that I might set the shoulder back to far.

One primer was a solid hit, the other primer had nothing at all. On my M70 (the .30-06 I reference), I re-cocked and hit it again...bigger "crater" on the primer, but no ignition, no pop...nothing. I know excessive head space can lead to light strikes, but as deep as these hits were...feels like it should have gone.

I guess I oughta post a pic when I get a chance...

·
Registered
324 Posts
Hey all. In this, my second post, I wanted to solicit some assistance with reloading the 6.8 SPC. My setup is pretty straight forward - I normally reload for my .30-06 and 7mm Rem Mag bolt guns...pretty straight forward. However, today at the range I learned that the 6.8 SPC is a different beast. I've got an RCBS Summit and Hornady Custom dies.

In the process of de priming and resizing PPU cases (because all I have atm or LRP and cannot find SRP anywhere!), completely wrecked one zip spindle...so that was an interesting start to this odyssey. Eventually re-sized (or so I thought) my cases and trimmed everything to ~ 1.687" or so. I seated my CCI LRPs, threw a ladder of AA2200, seated my 110 gn V-Max and off I went.

I had two failures to fire - one with a good primer strike and no "pop" and one without. Neither case extracted from the chamber without mortaring the rifle (which moved my scope...that I may have forgotten to torque...oops...fixed...doh!).

I suspect that, despite breaking the internals on my die, I still didn't get the cases properly resized...not sure what else would cause them to stick in the chamber. They seemed to chamber without issue...but the lack of a primer strike on the second indicates that it might be slightly out of battery...again,and indictment of the sizing.

This is the 3rd failed of a CCI primer in the last 11 rounds...I'm not sure what's going on there, but I'm gonna be a sad kid if my primers have gone bad given how hard it is to get them.

Two questions, several parts:
1. Does it seem like my sizing die isn't setup correctly and what suggestions do you all have that might help?
2. Thoughts on the primer issue? (1x today, and 2 of my last 10 last week in my .30-06)
Trim length on 6.8 is 1.676. So your case was .021” too long.

·
Registered
324 Posts
[Right, sounds like I can address the die - it's set for a very light crimp. I will correct that. I will pull the bullets, dump the powder and re-size all the currently loaded cases as well as my relatively small stash. My objective for these was a full length resize...I hadn't even considered that I might set the shoulder back to far. ]

Don’t use the bullet seating to seat the bullet and crimp the the case. People always had trouble doing that. Buy a Lee factory crimp die.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Welp, pulled all the bullets...they won't be winning any accuracy contests, but 19 of the 20 are good enough to get MSv3 readings anyway. I also knocked all the primers out, resized and re-primed. As suggested, I dropped the empty case into the chamber and followed it with the BCG. It required a firm push to seat, so I tried a factory S&B cartridge by way of comparison...if anything, the brass seemed a bit easier to get the BCG into battery. We'll see how it goes from here...

·
Registered
66 Posts
Welp, pulled all the bullets...they won't be winning any accuracy contests, but 19 of the 20 are good enough to get MSv3 readings anyway. I also knocked all the primers out, resized and re-primed. As suggested, I dropped the empty case into the chamber and followed it with the BCG. It required a firm push to seat, so I tried a factory S&B cartridge by way of comparison...if anything, the brass seemed a bit easier to get the BCG into battery. We'll see how it goes from here...
ARE you using a bullet check gauge? I had the same type problem with the bullet not firing and jamming. I didn't either have the die set up correctly or was in too much of a hurry and wasn't completing the whole stroke down. Using the RCBS FL die, and crimping with a Lee. Seems to be fine now.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts