6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So, I got a batch of 250 6.8spc FC pulled primed brass and went to loading pulled 90 grain Gold Dots.
Most went well, the SSA factory loads bought a while back were 1.90 " long...which made me scratch my head since the official length is 2.262 to 2.30.
So, after finding that 2.15" seems to be a good length for the cannelure....out of 50 brass, about 10 would act like they were seated but cannelure was above brass. Brass was pretty consistent, but coal was 2.40+.
Setting those aside, I finished the run. Picking up the "long ones" and resetting the die, I was able to get these to shorten up to the 2.15 length. I did notice that there was a "clunk" as the bullets seated at desired depth.

The question is: is the cannelure of the 90 grn Gold Dot known to have a "ridge" issue that would be the cause of the above "long length" and the "clunk" as it slides into the brass?

Serious input appreciated. Thanks guys

·
Registered
6,732 Posts
the bullets are pulls right? could be that there are slight imperfections on the bullet from the collet they use to pull them with

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
both pulled components: brass and bullets are in almost pristine condition.

I ran all the brass through the neck resizer to assure the neck would accept new bullets. Probably the same ones that got pulled.

I tend to think the cannelure is the stoppage and the source of the "clunk" as the brass slips over it.
either way the desired coal was achieved.

·
Registered
6,732 Posts
Did you chamfer the necks? Or just resize

·
Registered
54 Posts
I've loaded several of that combination of components, (some of the first batch had horrible pull marks, but loaded and shot fine) and had no loading issues. However, since neck tension was good and I use a factory crimp die on everything, I didn't resize. Try loading just a few without sizing and see if there's a difference. If they load okay, then yes, you'll probably have to lightly chamfer the whole lot if you resize.

RT

1 - 8 of 8 Posts