6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to 6.8 reloading and looking for a couple powder recommendations. I plan on getting Acurrate 2200 as that seems to be the most popular. What are a couple other good powders. For reference I plan on loading 120 sst, 100 gmx, and 95 ttsx.

·
Registered
5,502 Posts
Reloader 10x and H322 are good alternatives for the heavier pills, there is 1200r too but it can be very temperature sensitive so I would avoid loading to max if using 1200r.

Reloader 7 and H4198 do well with the lighter pills, How ever if using a 20" barrel with rifle gas you could run into short stroking issues with the faster burning powers.

Hard to beat AA2200 though, by far my favorite powder for the 6.8. It is very virsatile for just about any weight bullet and puts down good numbers and accuracy.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Like wassman said, your particular gas length and barrel length may be necessary info to assess. However, I tried several different powders and bullets in my 20" rifle length, and they were finicky, until I tried 2200. Almost all problems went away. I couldn't find 2200 locally at the time, so I just bit the bullet, and ordered online. Powder Valley normally has it in stock.

·
Banned
1,955 Posts
For virtually anything I've found AA2200 the best powder overall and I've tried a few. I also saw a sharp increase in accuracy using magnum primers with 2200 compared to standard. That comparison was with CCI450 and 41's compared to CCI400 primers. 25% to 50% smaller groups with mags.

·
Registered
52 Posts
For virtually anything I've found AA2200 the best powder overall and I've tried a few. I also saw a sharp increase in accuracy using magnum primers with 2200 compared to standard. That comparison was with CCI450 and 41's compared to CCI400 primers. 25% to 50% smaller groups with mags.
When I went from H322 and CCI 400 to AA2200 I had ejector marks. I then used CCI #41, no pressure issues.

·
Registered
690 Posts
A2200

i wish i could get A2200 to shoot well for me. it does do quite well with 90 gr bullets. But i shoot mostly 110 and 115 gr. match bullets. i have 3 guns, a 16" Bison, a 18" Bison and a 20" ARP target. Using A2200 powder with 110 and 115's i can't get any of them to shoot under 1 1/2" at 100 (3 shot, 5 shot and 10 shot groups, i tried em all). And it's not like i haven't researched different loads, i've loaded and shot dang near a 8 pound jug playing with it. Not saying don't use A2200, just wish i had the luck everyone else seems to have. i like how it meters and i'll use it for 90 gr bullets. But for anything heavier i use H322. Just find what works for your gun.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I've had the same experience as Moboy. Neither of my barrels have shown acceptable accuracy with 2200. They prefer H-4198 with 90 gr. GD's, and H-335 with anything heavier, especially 120 fusions. H-335 has turned out to be my go-to powder for several calibers.

RT

·
Registered
12 Posts
Rockytop , you load any hornady 120sst with h335. Also where are you finding 120 fusion?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
54 Posts
Loyd, Like J.W. and a few other folks, I bought a goodly number of the fusions when they were available on Gunbroker. They have been such a great hunting bullet, I don't use them for busting rocks and ringing steel anymore, as we likely won't ever see any more. I'm hoping the 130 fusions I have ordered will be as good.
I don't have any use for anything SST after having one in 7-08 vaporize on the ribs of a nice buck, without even leaving a blood trail. After several hours of searching a large chunk of the farm before finding him I decided to go back to better constructed bullets with slightly poorer b.c.'s.
There's quite a bit of data on here by folks that like that bullet, though most of it is on A2200.

RT

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
Rockytop , you load any hornady 120sst with h335. Also where are you finding 120 fusion?

120 Fusions were pulls available on Gunbroker a long while ago. Some folks were able to buy them up for cheap.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks rockytop
I haven't tried any 120 sst yet. Looking for a good hunting round to replace the 110 nosler accubond ive had great success with. Just afraid nosler will not ever make anymore.

·
Super Moderator
12,228 Posts
Loyd, Like J.D. and a few other folks, I bought a goodly number of the fusions when they were available on Gunbroker. They have been such a great hunting bullet, I don't use them for busting rocks and ringing steel anymore, as we likely won't ever see any more. I'm hoping the 130 fusions I have ordered will be as good.
I don't have any use for anything SST after having one in 7-08 vaporize on the ribs of a nice buck, without even leaving a blood trail. After several hours of searching a large chunk of the farm before finding him I decided to go back to better constructed bullets with slightly poorer b.c.'s.
There's quite a bit of data on here by folks that like that bullet, though most of it is on A2200.

RT
You mind sharing your recipe. I have a hundred or so of the 120 fusions sitting in the closet for a few years now and never did anything with them. I have about 6lbs of H335 left over and need to use some of it since I don't load any 5.56 any more.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Woodstock, my most accurate load has been 28.0 gr. H-335 in Fed. cases and a mag primer, at around 2,400 fps. I've run them up above 30.0 and 2,550 with light swipes. This from a PSA 16" cl light profile barrel over a f-1 Chrony that may or not be accurate. These bullets vary in weight by as much as 5 gr., so sorting by weight is necessary for any real accuracy, and they're still just a moa bullet in my rifle. I ran these at 2.270 oal, which puts the ogive slightly in the case mouth, but with a light fc it doesn't seem to matter.
Since I've cut a couple of mags and taken a die grinder to a lower, I'll probably load them out and try some Lever or Comp with them. I've replaced that upper with one of H's nice scout barrels and haven't really had time to break it in properly.

RT

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
Woodstock, my most accurate load has been 28.0 gr. H-335 in Fed. cases and a mag primer, at around 2,400 fps. I've run them up above 30.0 and 2,550 with light swipes. This from a PSA 16" cl light profile barrel over a f-1 Chrony that may or not be accurate. These bullets vary in weight by as much as 5 gr., so sorting by weight is necessary for any real accuracy, and they're still just a moa bullet in my rifle. I ran these at 2.270 oal, which puts the ogive slightly in the case mouth, but with a light fc it doesn't seem to matter.
Since I've cut a couple of mags and taken a die grinder to a lower, I'll probably load them out and try some Lever or Comp with them. I've replaced that upper with one of H's nice scout barrels and haven't really had time to break it in properly.

RT
I run the 120 fusions with CFE loaded long at 2600 fps OAL: 2.41". They are pretty accurate at that length in my barrel.

·
Super Moderator
12,228 Posts
Thanks guys.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts