6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I have been on the FN forums and there isn't a whole lot of discussion on reloading heavier 180g bullets for the SCAR 17... I brought some 180gr interlocks and some hotcores to try out. Ill be using some CFE 223, CCI#34 and PPU once fired brass... This is my first loading for the SCAR since my 550B is almost exclusively for 6.8.... so now it needs to share. My question is does anyone have a decent 180g load for a SCAR 17 for accuracy? Going to load up a couple ladders in a couple days so looking for a good starting point. I might have to go down to 165-168g pills is I can't get the accuracy I want out of these... my goal is 2400-2500 FPS with less then 2 MOA. Any help is appreciated!

·
Registered
6,732 Posts
What brass you planning on using? Mil or commercial

Lots of published load data for 308 so you should have plenty of options.

What is the intended usage? Hunt/plink/target/3gun/HD?

·
Registered
8,932 Posts
Is it actually chambered to handle .308 or is it chambered for 7.62x51?

·
Registered
6,732 Posts
Is it actually chambered to handle .308 or is it chambered for 7.62x51?
That debate ? The chambers are just slightly different, but the pressures are close enough to the same they should be considered the same

NATO is 60191 psi--- commercial is 62000psi max---- co.ercially loaded ammo doesn't hit the 62000 so they are interchangeable--- when reloading you watch for pressure signs

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the reponse. Plan was to use for target and hunting. Going to be using PPU once fired brass. I have been hearing that the SCAR 17 is a little tricky to hit the sweet spot for on heavier bullets since its a 1 in 12 twist rate... most reload for 168gr and have good results but i wanted to go with 180gr since i have 200 of them atm lol. A 180gr heading out of a 16 in barrel at 2400fps will kill anything here in fl and give me enough stability to shoot out to 500-700 yard targets. I have several reloading books so ill just start a little on the low side of mid load and work up. Was hoping someone had a good load i could try and tweek from lol. But its half the fun of reloadimg anyway. Have been shooting nothing but fmj factory through it and i wanted to get it ready to use for hunting (wife stole my 6.8 and i need to sell a couple things to build a 277wlv). Currently with cheap ppu ammo it gets around 3moa... ive heard they can get down to 2 or even 1 with good handloads.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Given the 1:12 twist, I would try 165 gr Nosler Accubond projectiles. Work really well in 308 for hunting anything less than the great bear in North America. Gave a good reputation for accuracy.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts