6.8 SPC Forums banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,899 Posts
I have been having reloading issues using the standard weight measurements from the Hornady book. They either stick and not complete the cycle or FTE.
I used the Nosler 110gr spitizer and based all of my load data on the Hornady V max 110 with a start load of 22.5 I used Accurate 1680 but it doesn’t complete the cycle.
The ladder goes to 25.7. I looked at the Western powder laid it says start at 22.4 and it’s ladder tops at 24.9, with a max pressure of 58,018 psi.
Which load data should I use and for my 6.8 SPC just to maintain the right gas pressure to allow the gun to complete a cycle using this reload data.
The 6.8 is a 30 gr. case, for which 2200 is about ideal. The 1680 is a couple steps faster, and more suited to the .277 Wolverine, a 25 gr. case. Both require use of a mag primer for good ignition. In the larger 6.8 case you aren't generating enough gas volume to properly cycle the action. You may also have a gas port that is slightly oversize. Check with Harrison at ARP for the proper port size. It could also be a combination of all of the above. You need to troubleshoot the problem one thing at a time. Aside from measuring the port diameter, the easiest thing is to get some 2200 powder and try a 28.5 charge of that under the 110 gr. sparked by a #41 primer, that gives a pressure of about 58k per Western. Proceed from there.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
The 6.8 is a 30 gr. case, for which 2200 is about ideal. The 1680 is a couple steps faster, and more suited to the .277 Wolverine, a 25 gr. case. Both require use of a mag primer for good ignition. In the larger 6.8 case you aren't generating enough gas volume to properly cycle the action. You may also have a gas port that is slightly oversize. Check with Harrison at ARP for the proper port size. It could also be a combination of all of the above. You need to troubleshoot the problem one thing at a time. Aside from measuring the port diameter, the easiest thing is to get some 2200 powder and try a 28.5 charge of that under the 110 gr. sparked by a #41 primer, that gives a pressure of about 58k per Western. Proceed from there.
Thank you my friend. You are correct, I loaded a ladder for the aa2200 up to 27.5. I will run the aa2200 I have a few lbs. they are the ones I tried at the range and they work fine even locked the bolt back after the last round.

·
Registered
43 Posts
There's load data here for 6.8 spc.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts