6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been having reloading issues using the standard weight measurements from the Hornady book. They either stick and not complete the cycle or FTE.
I used the Nosler 110gr spitizer and based all of my load data on the Hornady V max 110 with a start load of 22.5 I used Accurate 1680 but it doesn’t complete the cycle.
The ladder goes to 25.7. I looked at the Western powder laid it says start at 22.4 and it’s ladder tops at 24.9, with a max pressure of 58,018 psi.
Which load data should I use and for my 6.8 SPC just to maintain the right gas pressure to allow the gun to complete a cycle using this reload data.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Dont know of anyone using that powder. Most use 2200 or a H322. Which barrel do you have, gas tube length, are you running an adjustable gas block, and does factory ammo cycle? There are lots of potential problems.

·
Registered
72 Posts
All chambers are slightly different and will produce different pressures. Learn to read pressure signs, and get a chronograph. Work up loads for your rifle. What the book states max is might be higher than what the pressure actually is. You might also be a much lower pressure.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dont know of anyone using that powder. Most use 2200 or a H322. Which barrel do you have, gas tube length, are you running an adjustable gas block, and does factory ammo cycle? There are lots of potential problems.
Barrel is bison amory is a 1/11 twist, mid length gas tube standard.
Factory ammo does cycle.
I have Accurate 2015, 2200, I am doing a ladder test with the 2015 from the Hornady book and I decided to ask about the 1680 which is a fast burning powder I only get single shots from it with this powder.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Barrel is bison amory is a 1/11 twist, mid length gas tube standard.
Factory ammo does cycle.
I have Accurate 2015, 2200, I am doing a ladder test with the 2015 from the Hornady book and I decided to ask about the 1680 which is a fast burning powder I only get single shots from it with this powder.
OK. I also have a Bison barrel, with an AGB. I run about 30 gr on AA2200 on 110s. All the book loading data is for SPC I chamber for liability purposes. Im wondering if your powder is too fast for a mid length gas system (someone like @Xman would know.) I dont know what actual powder Hornady uses. so if factory ammo is cycling, I would say your barrel doesn't lile that particular powder, Unless your using a heavy buffer or AGB thats choked off / misaligned.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK. I also have a Bison barrel, with an AGB. I run about 30 gr on AA2200 on 110s. All the book loading data is for SPC I chamber for liability purposes. Im wondering if your powder is too fast for a mid length gas system (someone like @Xman would know.) I dont know what actual powder Hornady uses. so if factory ammo is cycling, I would say your barrel doesn't lile that particular powder, Unless your using a heavy buffer or AGB thats choked off / misaligned.
So I will do a ladder test for the AA2200 at 25gr do you think this will work without over pressure?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I got cha I will try that

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
All chambers are slightly different and will produce different pressures. Learn to read pressure signs, and get a chronograph. Work up loads for your rifle. What the book states max is might be higher than what the pressure actually is. You might also be a much lower pressure.
Chronograph is ordered

·
Registered
324 Posts
I have been having reloading issues using the standard weight measurements from the Hornady book. They either stick and not complete the cycle or FTE.
I used the Nosler 110gr spitizer and based all of my load data on the Hornady V max 110 with a start load of 22.5 I used Accurate 1680 but it doesn’t complete the cycle.
The ladder goes to 25.7. I looked at the Western powder laid it says start at 22.4 and it’s ladder tops at 24.9, with a max pressure of 58,018 psi.
Which load data should I use and for my 6.8 SPC just to maintain the right gas pressure to allow the gun to complete a cycle using this reload data.
1680 is too fast with a bullet over 90gr in a 6.8. H4198 works great with a 90gr also. AA2200, H322 is best for 100gr and over.
1860,CFEBLK, SWBO works in TAC30.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
So I will do a ladder test for the AA2200 at 25gr do you think this will work without over pressure?
You will be way below max pressure at 25 grains. I would start at 27.5 and work up from there. Loads are usually more accurate when the powder charge is filling most or all of the case.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Bison armory, standard mid length, and factory ammo does cycle.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Like X said, 25gr is way to low with AA2200. I think my 110gr Accubond load is 28.8gr at 2.285”. Anything above 29gr was beat the brass up too much.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts