6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yeah, I know I should probably ask over there but I know several 6.8 folks are .458SOCOM fans too... I also wanted an opinion from somewhere other than a fan board for the cartridge....

How difficult is the .458 for a relatively novice reloader? I've been reloading a few months now, in 6.8, .308, .30-06, .270 and .223 (wow, as I typed that I just impressed myself that I've done so many different ones...) I thought I had heard somewhere that it wasn't a round for a novice....

·
Registered
2 Posts
It's not that bad. No more than any other bottlenecked rifle round IMO. Where you can run into issues is with dies or brass. In speaking of dies I am referring to the Lee dies as some had issues with resizing the case properly and some did not have a proper shaped seating stem to seat the broad assortment of bullet shapes available to the SOCOM reloader. If you have/had the bad Lee dies they will make it right. Mine sized okay but the seater did not work but they sent me a new seater stem. I remedied the problem prior to that by ordering a set of Hornady dies from www.lockstock.com Bear in mind that they always show out of stock but they are $20 or $30 cheaper than direct from Hornady so it is worth the wait. IIRC mine came in under two weeks. I do like the Lee FCD which I don't think they sell separately from the 4-die set but they may if you call them directly. The only brass issue that I mention is from a batch of Starline brass from '06 I believe. There were some cases that were out of spec.

The only other caveat I would have for the SOCOM is to follow known data very closely. Due to all of the assorted bullets available for the caliber you have bullet weights that are the same or similar but among the same weighted bullets there are also assorted ogives and bullet lengths that will drastically alter pressure based on seating depths and remaining usable case capacity. Follow known loads, mainly those from Marty @ Teppo Jutsu and once you get a handle on those you can branch out a bit. The same processes and safety apply to the SOCOM as any other round.

Good luck.

Josh

·
Registered
49 Posts
Get a stuck case remover!!!!!!!! htere will be a good chance that you will stick one before you are finished. I found that using RCBS case lube on the first 3 or 4 then reg old hornady one shot works for me. I haven't gotten one stuck since I started doing that. And the barnes 300g tsx is wicked on pigs!!!!!!!!. It was actually the second caliber, 6.8 being the first I learned to reload on , but both were with tons of advice and working hand and hand with experienced reloaders while I spent the money getting my own equipment. As long as you follow the 10% back off and work up watching for signs you should be fine.

Jeff

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Disco said:
Yeah, I know I should probably ask over there but I know several 6.8 folks are .458SOCOM fans too... I also wanted an opinion from somewhere other than a fan board for the cartridge....

How difficult is the .458 for a relatively novice reloader? I've been reloading a few months now, in 6.8, .308, .30-06, .270 and .223 (wow, as I typed that I just impressed myself that I've done so many different ones...) I thought I had heard somewhere that it wasn't a round for a novice....
I think you and Josh_Denny are both on 458SOCOMforums.com (its under MAJOR repair...) I love that some of the same faces get to this site as well.

I consider the 458 SOCOM an intermediate, its not simple like a S-walled round (44 mag) but its not complex, reload something more simple then once you get the basics and safety concepts involved, make the 458 SOCOM your next bet, just dont use Lee dies, I have them and they have some issues but can be worked out, CH4D makes dies and I THINK someone else is but I am unsure if thats been released yet.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Anyone have a source for barrels and bolts for the .458 Socom? I have a spare CMT upper that needs barreling and I seem to have developed a fondness for AR variant calibers. I went over to the .458 Socom site but there is nothing there at the moment.

·
Registered
441 Posts
RRA uses Wilson so maybe there, Any of the custom barrel makers will make you any barrel you want. Pac-Nor is quite fast and quality is excellent.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
pac nor will supply the blank only... it still must be cut/ chambered /threaded etc...

same with lilja and the others...

its best to go With Marty... he can get a .458 barrel down to about 350.00

·
Registered
6 Posts
The .458 isn't too bad. As several have stated, stuck cases are the worst problems. H4198 & Remington 405's, & mag pistol primers are a good starter. Whenever the 458socomforums.com website is back up there is a huge wealth of information on there. Just don't try to hotrod this or any round...learn signs of overpressure. I'm about as passionate about the .458 Socom round as there is & Cold's to blame for it!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts