6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Morning gents...

I am looking for reload data for a Hornady 120gr SST bullet, with Starline brass (new) and 90 Grain Speer Gold Dot also in starline brass (new)
My understanding is that the starline brass tends to be heavier walled and thus has a decreased powder load?

Powder: AA2200?
Primer: CCI 41?

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Good Morning gents...

I am looking for reload data for a Hornady 120gr SST bullet, with Starline brass (new) and 90 Grain Speer Gold Dot also in starline brass (new)
My understanding is that the starline brass tends to be heavier walled and thus has a decreased powder load?

Powder: AA2200?
Primer: CCI 41?
Accurate arms loading data is the place to start . There is a lot of difference between barrels , not only freebore but also number and shape of grooves so what works in one may be too hot for the next . __ Start right below max in load data and work up stopping at pressure sign . _ Remember new brass may cut into volume a little v fire formed .

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Ozark! As you could no doubt tell, I am a newbie. I custom built a 6.8mm and I am tired of having my bank account emptied every time i purchase ammo for it. fantastic round! We really could have used this in Iraq in a 90 to 110 gr bullet. There were times where I felt like I was throwing rocks at the gunji's with the 5.56. I purchased a Dillon 750 with the bells and whistles and am very much looking forward to taking my hearing aids out (so I can ignore the wife) and spending hours working up safe but effective loads.

I was able to obtain some nice workup options from another powder manufacturer and Starline itself as your suggested. I have spent the better part of the afternoon re-familiarizing myself with pressure signs so that I can monitor accordingly. I will as you suggested start light and creep up until "signs" present. Thanks again. Good Hunting!

·
Registered
370 Posts
Just starting out myself, was able to work my load up to max according to accurate arms manual. 28.6 gr (this is max for VMAX bullets) of 2200 in new Hornady brass, S&B 110 FMJ (cause it was on sale). No pressure signs so I may work it a bit hotter. COAL 2.23. Each barrel is different so take your time, do a small batch, test, then decide if your happy or wand to keep going. Be careful of SQUIBS!!!! I had one on my 10mm today.

·
Registered
8,695 Posts
As stated only load a small number of a test load. Been working with my dad and he is 1.5 grains below max charge and still showing excessive pressure signs in a 5.56 chamber. Two or three rounds of each charge are plenty to test a load and then if it doesn't work out you don't have a large quantity of unsafe loads.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts