6.8 SPC Forums banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Thanks for pointing out that there are two different options for the WFT trimmers.

·
Registered
4,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
FYI. When I went to load the newly formed "S&B" Valkyrie brass, the first bullet in was severely deformed by the seating stem indicating the inside neck diameter was too small. I hadn't check the neck thickness on this newer S&B brass. It is 0.002" thicker in the neck than the Federal factory brass. I had to run the cases over the expander ball to get them to open up. I also had to do this with the new Hornady brass I purchased when I started to reload the Valkyrie. I'm going to need a larger bushing to size these S&B cases. I've been using a 0.249" bushing on the Hornady and Federal brass.

·
Registered
4,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Well, it's been a year and a half. Converting 6.8 S&B brass to 224 Valkyrie is doable but this project got moved to the back shelf. The thicker necks (from downsizing 6.8 to Valkyrie) caused a significant increase neck tension compared to standard Valkyrie brass. This made it problematic to load thin jacketed bullets which would deform during seating. Annealing the brass can help mitigate this issue. It's much easier to purchase Starline Valkyrie brass which is durable and of high quality. They even deburr the primer pockets. Starline brass has shot the best for me, better than Hornady. I've been using up my Federal brass for max+ hunting load which has done better than expected going on their 4th firing and excellent accuracy.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Xman, I have had the same experiences in making 556x42 brass. I have always needed neck turning and annealing to get the accuracy and neck tension to work right. I have some starline set aside, but haven't opened up the box yet. Working on old school ssa brass for now. I don't mind though since it's such a fun round. No so much different than the valk. I almost exclusively load 80 gr eld and 80.5 berger.

·
Registered
4,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I almost exclusively load 80 gr eld and 80.5 berger.
Smallmouthlargebass, the 80 grain .224 bullets out of a 5.55x42 and Valkyrie are very flat shooting rounds out to 1000 yards that few cartridges can keep up with. Flatter than all the 88 ELD, 95 SMK, and 90 A-Tips I have but my goal was to reach 1300 yards for local matches. I had a 556x42 barrel in my hands but after seeing what I had to do to form the brass, I went with a second Valkyrie barrel for hunting since I already had all the infrastructure in brass, dies, etc. The older I get the more I look for the path of least resistance.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts