6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Edited 1/2/14-- Read below in red and modify the mag springs as shown.

After testing all of the mags available.
Edited-8/17/12 I have not tested the new CPD mags yet but will soon. At this time it looks like they could be a very good inexpensive mag for the 6.8. Initial reports are good.

The Old Gen 1 PRI mags(non-waffle are no longer in production) are still the best all around mag, they allow loading to 2.295-2.3" and have a great feed lip angle and sturdy stainless steel body. It helps to bend the front spring loop up to support the front of the follower on PRI mags. The Gen 1 PRI has a shorter lip with a rounded corner which I believe helps smooth feeding.

#1 in production(maybe)---The Barrett has a better feed lip angle than the PRI Gen 2,3 and the C Products mags , the follower is the best "no tilt" 6.8 I have seen and right there with HK on mags. The Barrett does limit the OAL(2.28" max). They do have a longer squared off feed lip which can cause the rounds to pop up giving a tip down position. 30 round only cost apx $45

C Products has a better "no tilt" follower than PRI because the spring supports the front of the follower from the factory. The feed lip angle is the same as the PRI mags(90 degrees to the back of the mag),the feed lip length is the same and also has a squared off front corner. Due to cost I'll rate this as the #2 mag in production but, they can not handle longer load lengths and some are hit or miss on function.

The Gen 3 PRI mags have the ribs across only the center 2 sections which does make the follower travel smoother. They still have the same feed lip angle (90 degrees to the back of the mag) as the Gen 2 with the same length and squared off front edge. Good thing about PRI, they offer them in several sizes. cost apx $44

The Gen 2 PRI feed lips do not slope up like the Gen1 (Gen 2s are 90 degrees to the back of the mag and have a longer and squared off feed lip, in some cases it makes the round pop up out of the mag forcing the rim of the case high on the bolt. The Gen 2 has ribs full width across the mag.

At the moment IMO the Barrett is the best feeding mag currently in production if you plan to shoot factory ammo or don't mind loading to a shorter (2.28")OAL.

I'll update this as I modify the corners on a PRI Gen 2 mag to see how much it helps.
ETA- Rounding the front corners of the feed lips make for a smoother release of the cartridge, they do not pop as high at the rear so they don't have a tip down position.
Bottom mag is a PRI Gen 1, second from bottom is a PRI Gen 2 with the corners rounded, third from bottom is a Barrett and top is a PRI Gen 3, notice top 2 have squared corners. After rounding the corners on the PRI Gen 2 feeding was noticeably smoother.

Auto part

IMO everyone as soon as they
buy or build a rifle or mags should load a few in the mag insert the mag in the
lower and slowly let the carrier come forward pushing the cartridges out of the
mag to see where the bullet tips hit, paying attention to the mag feed lip and
carrier relationship. If there is a problem return the mags or tweek the front
of the mag lips up CAUTION- bend a little at a time and check the feed, if they
are bent too far it is very difficult to get them back down. Only bend about
1/32" at a time.without hitting the bottom of the carrier. The mag lips must be
straight not wavy sloping up to the front so it is best to use pliers with wider
jaws. If everyone did this we wouldn't have to worry about M4 ramps.
The
tips of my bullets pass through the bolt lug notch at the top of the feed ramp,
the tips never touch the feed ramps. With the 6.8 I use only PRI mags the older
non waffle mags do not need to be tweeked to get to this point the new waffle
mags need to be tweeked a little.
If the tips of my bullets hit the alum
they are being damaged, I don't want damaged bullets so I tweek the mag lips to
make the cartridges feed properly.
If the mag well is very large like POFs
Gen IIs then if you pull back on the bottom of the mag like you see all the
tacticool guys doing the mag pivots and points the feed lips down and the
bullets hit low. There are many things that can make cartridges misfeed.
The
upper receiver group has very little to do with feeding, the carrier and bolt
can't move up and down or side ways, no adjustment there. The barrel is at a
fixed height above the lower and inline with the bolt and carrier so there is no
adjustment there. 99% is related to the mags or mag well including the mag catch
button.
I want my mags to sit as high as possible in the lower, mag lips
just barely touching the carrier bottom but they need to slope rear down /front
up to aim the bullet as high as possible.
If the follower nose dives it
could also cause the bullet tip to hit low, anti tilt followers is the first
step, the mag spring tweek below helps

Typical mag and cartridge
position I try to achieve, notice the tip of the bullet goes through the lug
slot and does not hit the ramp.
http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/b...7/PA100002.jpg

before PRI spring tweek
http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/b...7/PC050053.jpg

After PRI spring tweek
http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/b...7/PC050054.jpg

·
Registered
243 Posts
Would the Magpul follower be helpful to these mags?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Thanks for this help, H. I had to think a moment about the ETA update you inserted. It appears to "re-stack" the mag pecking order (worst-to-best), and appears to move the PRI Gen 1 from the top of the "goodness" heap to the bottom. That confused me some, but I get it now. It's the order of appearance in the attached picture, and nothing to do with their relative "goodness"...

Could we / should we move this info to the "General / Documents" sub-forum to exist with the mag lip-forming thread?

·
Premium Member
10,460 Posts
Should we rate ASC as CProd for now? And consider D&H a non-starter until they get their issues fixed?

·
Premium Member
10,460 Posts
ASC is the successor company to C-Products and D&H is the former owner of C-Products? Is that right? I lost track of who was who.
That's easy to do: :a01:
D&H is D&H.
ASC is operating CProd's old equipment
CProd Defense is the new/relocated CProd

·
Registered
790 Posts
I loaded some Sierra 90g HP's kinda long at 2.295 that just didn't want to feed through my PRI gen III mags.
I made the adjustments outlined here and reliability is 100% now! Great info. Thanks.

·
Registered
52 Posts
my buddy has a 5 round pri he said I can have, I believe it's a waffle.

is the 5 round waffle a gen 2? and is it a pos or can it be made to feed 2.295"s fine? looking for hotter loads if I can get me an ARP barrel/upper :D thanks for any help, we need a chatroom/shout box for the forum :D

·
Premium Member
10,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Any waffle is a Gen II or Gen III. Gen III only have the 2 center ribs so the follower slides easier.
You'll just have to try it to see if it feeds correctly, if not you can bend the feed lips up a very small amount to make it feed better.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Any waffle is a Gen II or Gen III. Gen III only have the 2 center ribs so the follower slides easier.
You'll just have to try it to see if it feeds correctly, if not you can bend the feed lips up a very small amount to make it feed better.
So, are all "NO WAFFLE" PRI mags GEN I ???

·
Premium Member
10,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So, are all "NO WAFFLE" PRI mags GEN I ???
Yes. There are standard floor plates and Military (large) floor plates and 2 different color followers(Blue and Gray).
Gen II has cross ribs all the way across and Gen IIIs have the cross ribs in the center area only.
I love the PRI mags just wish they had made the Gen III feed lips slope up toward the front a little more like the Gen 1s.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I have a number of Gen 1 PRI 10 round mags. Had one that had feeding issues, I just set it aside as I had plenty others to use. Last week finally took the time to do the spring tweek on all the mags, and the one that was having a problem worked perfect this weekend at the range. Spring tweek helps for sure.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Can someone tell me if this is a Gen2 or Gen3 mag? The pic of the stack of mags above is kinda hard to zoom in and tell.

I believe that's a Gen 3 mag. Gen 1 had no waffles, Gen 2 had waffles all the way across the side.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.