6.8 SPC Forums banner

RCBS small base dies

4K views 26 replies 14 participants last post by  EWP 
#1 ·
Are these in stock anywhere? Sinclair Int told me they don't exist but I'm almost certain they do. If these can't be found anywhere who else make a small base die set?

What shell plate is everyone using for the 6.8 for their dillion 550b? I have heard 40 sw.

#3 ·
Are these in stock anywhere? Sinclair Int told me they don't exist but I'm almost certain they do. If these can't be found anywhere who else make a small base die set?

What shell plate is everyone using for the 6.8 for their dillion 550b? I have heard 40 sw.
I went ahead and ordered them direct from RCBS' website. They were back ordered but came in faster than a bunch of other stuff that I've ordered! They took about a month from when I ordered them to show up on my porch.

#4 ·
Yeah I walked in there on Friday and the sales clerk almost laughed at me when I asked about the 6.8 in general. He was like it's too new to have small base dies...I was like well damn b/c I'm pretty sure they do.

Would you recomend another die H? Or just wait around, I am getting better at waiting!

#5 ·
#16 ·
So do for the 550b should I just use Dillion's caliber shell plate kit thing (blue box thing with the plate, pins, and powder funnel)?
I picked that set up and am about to use it on the 550 I will let you know. I still have the 40 cal plate and pins so I might try both.

#17 ·
RCBS Small Dies multiple sets or versions

I have two sets of these dies., Plus the original RCBS

They all seem to work well but when I went to use just the small base I had thought I mixed them up.

I just received the latest set yesterday. I checked the numbers on the dies and the last numbers they had were a 9 on both die.
The dies I thought I had confused were a PARTIAL match to the large base dies, BUT THEY ARE PROBABLY JUST DIFFERENT VERSIONS.

I am going to call RCBS and see if They're DIFFERENT, I guess if you were to order them get the 9 versions I received direct form RCBS.

Latest Set PN 13303 Group A
RCBS 6.8 REM SPC SB 9
RCBS 6.8 REM SPC SEAT 9

PREVIOUS SMALL BASE Set PN 13303 Group A
RCBS 6.8 REM SPC SB 4
RCBS 6.8 REM SPC SEAT 8

ORIGINAL SET Large Base PN13301
RCBS 6.8 REM SPC 4
RCBS 6.8 REM SPC SEAT 4

#19 ·
the small base die full length resizes but makes the case a little bit smaller at the base for reliable feeding in semi auto's regular full length resize dies can be used but you have to ensure the die is completly resizing the case.

#21 ·
The 6.8 shellplate kit from Dillon worked great on the 550. I didnt try the .40 cal plate yet.

#22 · (Edited)
My Hornady regular FL dies size SSA and Hornady brass that has been fired and sized 8 times back to .418" every time. SB dies are only needed if you prefer a certain brand of die thats regular FL die does not size the base of the case enough, because they surely are not the only dies that size the base of the case to .418".

If you have regular dies measure the base of your sized brass before going and buying SB dies because you might just be wasting your money, I dont have any fired brass laying around but I think my Lee dies I dont use anymore size below .420" also.

#24 ·
I'm using the std 6.8 Dillon 550 plate, pins and funnel with no issues, you just have to have the plate down pretty snug.

Also using both std RCBS and Lee dies, only issue is the Lee seating die gives me almost .010" variation in OAL, when the RCBS just give about .005". I just got a Redding micrometer seating die, but haven't used it yet.

I've loaded some of my SSA cases 10+ times too

#25 ·
I've noticed with the seating dies it's not really the die but the seating stem inside that seats the bullet is not really made to fit the ogive profile of most 6.8 bullets that well. My Hornady seating die will seat some bullets +/- .002" COL and some are .008" different because the seating stem contacts the nose of the bullet so far up were the size is still pretty inconstant. I think if the seating stem would go further up the bullet before contact is made for seating were the size of the ogive is more consistent on all bullets that we would get much better results. Even measuring with a bullet comparator I get sometimes up to +/- .005" difference in a few bullets because the dies are not seating off the ogive, they are seating off the tip were the size varies greatly on some bullets. What we need is a custom seating stem that has a larger profile that will contact the bullet say half way up instead of the tip and I bet we would get very consistent seating depths. Hornady makes a special seating stem for their A-max bullet that I have been meaning to try, I bet it seats farther up the bullet since the A-max has such a long ogive that it might be worth trying. Just a thought.

EWP

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.