6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some advice finding a rail mounted LED light for hog hunting? Any recommendations? I was thinking a green led would be best, scares the hogs less than a white light but the cost has scared me of the only one I have found so far. Thanks,

Joe

·
Registered
6,732 Posts

·
Registered
666 Posts
http://68forums.com/forums/showthread.php?47456-lumens-candle-power-megawatts-oh-my! lots of info here

Id go to lightmalls.com --- I bought the one that Frank (uniquefire) recommended and it works great --- can see animals to 100 yards and eyes out past that

I have the same light and can see 150-200yds with it. Also have the white light version and can see 250yds. A side note is to get good batteries and charger. The C8 light works pretty good as well. More compact and only slightly less throw.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I have the way low buck 502 version of this light I'll let you know how it works out in just about a week .

Mine came as a kit with mounts ,battery,charger ,and both a pressure switch and on/off click end caps . There is a high probability of it being on a 358 Win or 257 Roberts in 8# Mausers or a 6# 30-30 or a 6.8 AR so basically after I fill the bag I will see if I can break it . The 6.8 and 358 will be the most likely shooters this trip .

·
Registered
133 Posts
I have 2 of the lights Texas Hog Man posted the link for. Can't beat it for the money. Mine are green but I bought an extra red led. I need to try a side by side test but the green works as far as I have any business shooting at night.

·
Registered
666 Posts
I have the way low buck 502 version of this light I'll let you know how it works out in just about a week .

Mine came as a kit with mounts ,battery,charger ,and both a pressure switch and on/off click end caps . There is a high probability of it being on a 358 Win or 257 Roberts in 8# Mausers or a 6# 30-30 or a 6.8 AR so basically after I fill the bag I will see if I can break it . The 6.8 and 358 will be the most likely shooters this trip .
I have the 502-b as well. It is a lot smaller and works good out to 75 yds or so. I use it on my .22 for the rabbits and such. I lt seems pretty sturdy.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I have both the Wicked light and the Uniquefire HS 802. I purchased the 802 just because of the price, $18 shipped from ebay. It was a US dealer. The wicked is better at much longer distances but for the money its hard to beat the Uniquefire 802 as a second light. The overall construction seems to be about the same between the two. Time will tell if it will last any amount of time.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
My hunt is in the books . The El Cheapo , Wind Fire 502b in green is still serviceable . It was mounted in the provided base and ring to a 3-9x 40 Tasco Pronghorn in medium hight rings on a 8# 96' Mauser 257 Roberts loaded at a 100 gr Sierra Pro Hunter to about 3000 fps .
I only used it for 1 shot and I haven't charged the battery ,it's run probably 3 hr so far . The on/off switch is quieter than the hammer fall . All in all for a $32 light kit with mounts,changer, pressure switch and a light that holds about 4" per yard of beam dia and gIves me enough to hold a target to 100 yd I'm happy.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Ive used a couple of these for years and have done very well.

http://www.streamlight.com/en-us/product/product.html?pid=314

Along with a Streamlight rail mount 74200, they have held up great since 2008 or so. Even lost one on the farm hunting one night and found it a little over 6 months later. It still ran a few hours without having to charge it.

Made some hits on coyotes and hogs out to 300 yards with it, they put out a nice tight beam with some residual flood beam.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I have both the Wicked light and the Uniquefire HS 802. I purchased the 802 just because of the price, $18 shipped from ebay. It was a US dealer. The wicked is better at much longer distances but for the money its hard to beat the Uniquefire 802 as a second light. The overall construction seems to be about the same between the two. Time will tell if it will last any amount of time.
I went the el cheapo route too and got an HS802 from Amazon. My land is mostly brush so I don't get long shots. Blind to feeder is 68 yards. It does just fine at that distance. Seems to be well constructed.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.