6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whenever I go to the range, if I see people shooting .223 I ask if I can have their brass, or sometimes they just leave it lying about. I picked up some that the cases had a noticeable dent in the middle of the case. My question, if these size correctly and fit in the ammo checker are they okay to shoot, or would the little dent cause it to jam where the bullet gets fired. They are easy to throw out if the consensus is to do that. Just curious and cheap.

Gary

·
Premium Member
372 Posts
I’ve never had trouble using dented brass that fits in the chamber. May not be the most accurate but they do go bang.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Load it and send it. I use dented brass all the time. Typically, those dents are from the case smacking the brass deflector on the way out of the ejection port. They’ll iron out with the next firing. I usually just inspect them to make sure it’s actually a dent and not a crack starting to form, then run it through a sizing die and prep like normal.

If you’re loading match ammo, I’d toss them; but if you are just loading fun plinking ammo, I’d use it without a second thought. FWIW, I bought some SSA ‘blems’ right after Nosler bought SSA (read: ruined SSA), and they looked like they had been run over by a truck then beaten with a hammer for awhile just to be sure. Any that were straight enough to chamber went bang just fine.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Load it and send it. I use dented brass all the time. Typically, those dents are from the case smacking the brass deflector on the way out of the ejection port. They’ll iron out with the next firing. I usually just inspect them to make sure it’s actually a dent and not a crack starting to form, then run it through a sizing die and prep like normal.

If you’re loading match ammo, I’d toss them; but if you are just loading fun plinking ammo, I’d use it without a second thought. FWIW, I bought some SSA ‘blems’ right after Nosler bought SSA (read: ruined SSA), and they looked like they had been run over by a truck then beaten with a hammer for awhile just to be sure. Any that were straight enough to chamber went bang just fine.
Just looking to do some plinking mostly.

At the pit today, bunch of us there I shot some 6.8 spc SSA (Nosler) that I bought when they had them on sale. They shot well and were accurate. That was nice to know.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Just looking to do some plinking mostly.

At the pit today, bunch of us there I shot some 6.8 spc SSA (Nosler) that I bought when they had them on sale. They shot well and were accurate. That was nice to know.
Yeah its shoots and many accounts is its accurate but they (SSA) are not what they once were (pre Nosler). Going from some of the best brass to some of the worst and from some of the best performing ammo to some of the weakest is hard to do.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I shoot dented brass often. No worries. It will blow the dents out with a light load. Some rifles just dent the cases.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts