6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I understand you can put the silica in the oven, or microwave to dry it out.

I prefer not to do that, because I am paranoid about additives to the silica being released where I cook and eat food. Thinking about using a hair dryer.

So my question is, do you need to open up the packet to dry it out, or can you dry it while it is still in the packet?

If you do open it up, how do you repackage it when you place it in the gun safe, ammo box, or gun case?

Also, any good sources for cheap recycleable sealed silica packets?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
44 Posts
Mike,

Better get a good chair. The hair dryer technique is going to take a while.

Place the intact bag in the oven at 250 degrees for 4 to 12 hours depending on the size of the bag. The good news is, here in my part of Tennessee with central heat and air, I only have to do this once a year.

I'm not a chemist but I wager that any released particulates are less toxic than the stuff we breath at the shooting range.

Jeff
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Check out your local Wally World for a toaster oven. Not only will it work great for drying the silica, it can be used to bake on gun finishes of various types. DO NOT cook food in it just dedicate it to the "industrial" type jobs. Best of all they are cheap and it'll keep Mommy happy!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
91 Posts
joequick said:
DO NOT cook food in it
Educate me, please. Does the silica cause a problem?
I don't think so, but I don't want to be the one to find out otherwise.

I like the suggestion of a crappy toaster oven at wallyworld
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,877 Posts
you know a lot of food like powered spices use silica in them just go in the pantry and start looking at the ingredients labels
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
but some of these silica packets have color indicators in them, those are the chemicals that concern me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,264 Posts
Other than inhalation, pure silicon dioxide (also known as silica) is inert and harmless. Pure silicon dioxide produces no fumes and is insoluble in vivo. It is indigestible, with zero nutritional value and zero toxicity. (as per the WWW)
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top