6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I'm pretty new at reloading . . . . I went back and measured the case lengths on newly reloaded rounds. I found they ranged from 1.683 to 1.688 and about 7 of them came in at 1.690. My manuals say the max length is 1.686

Are my reloadings safe? In case you are wondering, these reloads are from once fired brass. I measured factory rounds and many of them came in around 1.685-1.687. Do I need to trash the 1.688s? Thanks for your help

·
Registered
331 Posts
So I'm pretty new at reloading . . . . I went back and measured the case lengths on newly reloaded rounds. I found they ranged from 1.683 to 1.688 and about 7 of them came in at 1.690. My manuals say the max length is 1.686

Are my reloadings safe? In case you are wondering, these reloads are from once fired brass. I measured factory rounds and many of them came in around 1.685-1.687. Do I need to trash the 1.688s? Thanks for your help
So... these are fired rounds, right? Trash, no. Resize and then trim. 1.686 max, 1.676 min.

·
Registered
5,400 Posts

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
No these are not fired rounds. The are reloads that I measured the brass on.
Even new brass you still resize and trim if needed.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Even new brass you still resize and trim if needed.
Okay I guess I'm not being clear. I bought factory ammo. Fired them. Reloaded the brass without trimming or measuring. After the reloading I measured the brass. the brass is ranging from 1.681 to 1.688. Do I need to pull the bullets from the 1.688s and trim them?

·
Registered
4,263 Posts
After the reloading I measured the brass. the brass is ranging from 1.681 to 1.688. Do I need to pull the bullets from the 1.688s and trim them?
I am going to say you are ok for one more firing but you need to trim after the next resize. I trim to 1.685" while most trim about 0.010" less than that. A SAAMI chamber should be 0.010" longer than the max case length so there is a small buffer. I have measured my chambers and confirmed they are slightly longer than SAAMI.

·
Registered
450 Posts
EDIT: Y'all beat me to it. Guess that's what happens when I get distracted while posting.

Guys I don't think he's asking about how to trim empty brass, but what to do with some live reloads.

The way I'm reading it is, it's currently live ammo reloads that he did not measure case length and trim before loading. He's gone back and measured case length and found some come in at 1.688 -1.690.

Did you resize and just forget to measure after?

I'm no reloader so take what I say with a grain of salt.

For the 1.688 I'd probably use it as is. I think you'll probably be okay being 1-2 thousandths over on case length. You can probably be more than that and be okay, but be careful

For the 1.690, I'd probably pull the bullet resize, trim, and load it up again. You could do the same for the 1.688.

They make bullet pullers that aren't that expensive and work pretty well. It's a good tool to have around. I don't reload, but dad does. He's used it more than he cares to admit. Also during and after the recent shortage he had trouble finding primers, so he would pull the bullets from unfired S&B (and other brands) and reload it to save the primers he did have for other ammo.

·
Registered
331 Posts
EDIT: Y'all beat me to it. Guess that's what happens when I get distracted while posting.

Guys I don't think he's asking about how to trim empty brass, but what to do with some live reloads.

The way I'm reading it is, it's currently live ammo reloads that he did not measure case length and trim before loading. He's gone back and measured case length and found some come in at 1.688 -1.690.

For the 1.688 I'd probably use it as is. I think you'll probably be okay being 1-2 thousandths over on case length. You can probably be more than that and be okay, but be careful

For the 1.690, I'd probably pull the bullet resize, trim, and load it up again. You could do the same for the 1.688.

They make bullet pullers that aren't that expensive and work pretty well. It's a good tool to have around. I don't reload, but dad does. He's used it more than he cares to admit. Also during and after the recent shortage he had trouble finding primers, so he would pull the bullets from unfired S&B (and other brands) and reload it to save the primers he did have for other ammo.
+1 with the guys. I personally wouldn't say 1.688 is "ok" b/c that's beyond saami. use your judgment. Definitely a bullet puller in your future. Always measure after resizing. Read and follow bullet puller instr's also - you'll do fine.
GOOD question tho' - no such thing as a bad question.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Yeah, just a rookie mistake. I have about 7 rounds that I'll need to trim. That's out of 150. Most are a hair under 1.686. I agree with Grayfox, not sure I want to push my luck too far. But thank you all for your advice. And yes I have a bullet puller :a32:

·
Registered
450 Posts
I said probably okay for the 1.688 because a lot of what I've seen suggests that the chamber is actually about .010 longer than sammi. I've never measured it for myself, but I trust the guys that have and posted that info. I was also going on the assumption that PKK did not have a bullet puller since he was talking about trashing them.

If I had ready access to a bullet puller, most likely I'd knock it out and start over on those rounds as well. It's not like you are loosing anything except a little time. As long as you know what the powder is, it's safe to re-use it and there's nothing wrong with the bullets.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am going to say you are ok for one more firing but you need to trim after the next resize. I trim to 1.685" while most trim about 0.010" less than that. A SAAMI chamber should be 0.010" longer than the max case length so there is a small buffer. I have measured my chambers and confirmed they are slightly longer than SAAMI.
Thanks for the SAAMI specs. This will be helpful in the future.

·
Registered
4,263 Posts
Pkk, I assume that you do not have the tools to measure the length of your chamber. Here might be an easy way to check for any interference. With the upper disconnected from the lower, slide the rounds with the long case length into the chamber. Push the BCG closed then extract feeling for any interference.

·
Registered
3,898 Posts
Yeah, just a rookie mistake. I have about 7 rounds that I'll need to trim. That's out of 150. Most are a hair under 1.686. I agree with Grayfox, not sure I want to push my luck too far. But thank you all for your advice. And yes I have a bullet puller :a32:
Something else to keep in mind. If you have your sizer set properly so you only bump the shoulder .003-.004" when resizing, your cases won't grow much unless you are running very hot loads. By maintaining good headspace control, I usually only have to trim cases once in their useful life span. Also, when you do trim, trim to 1.676 so you won't have to trim as often.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
If they'll close fully in the chamber, and assuming they're not HOT loads, shoot them. Then resize before next session.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts