6.8 SPC Forums banner

Question regarding blown primer in factory ammo

2K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  1stmarine 
#1 ·
Hi, first off, thanks ahead of time for any help. I'm pretty new here so still somewhat clueless. Also, I posted this question here as I figured guys who reload may be more in tune with the issue even though it happened with factory ammo. Sorry if I posed in the wrong section. I'm new to rifles/6.8. I reload for my 1911's but the 6.8 is a new venture for me. I have a new 6.8 rifle from a local business. The business comes highly reccomended as he does all the custom work for the local LE/SWAT guys. Details of the rifle are as follows:

Barrel: Wilson Combat 18" (not fluted)
Lower: Anderson Manufacturing
Handguard: Odin Works
Magazine: 10 rounds PRI
Not sure who makes the BCG or charging handle
Magpul stock

First trip to the range, followed barrel break-in instructions, used a total of 60 Hornady 110 gr v-max. No issues.

Second trip to the range, used SSA 115 gr OTM. After about the first 6 shots, it was cease-fire time on the range. After I locked the chamber open and dropped the mag, I noticed a small piece of brass in view in the chamber. I took it out and it was deformed but about the size of a primer. I picked up the fired brass off the ground and out of 6 rounds, there was 2 completely blown primers and the others looked pretty flat.

The reason I am posting this here is because I am getting ready to start reloading for the 6.8 and obviously this has me worried with this obvious excessive pressure from a factory round. I will be meeting with my rifle guy today but was wondering if anybody had any ideas.

Again, thanks ahead of time and please remember I'm new here so don't be too brutal, haha.

See less See more
#2 ·
There are several things that can pop primers. One being headspace another high pressure. Do you have a way to measure the unfired ssa ammo? Like a hornady l n l headspace gage? If it ends up being headspace just load the brass to your chamber size.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#6 ·
You would have to call in probably to get the info from that, all of the SSA Tac load 110SPH ammo I have is stamped in the same location but m/d/year 2009 manufacture. I think it was 68WJ that I remember reported issues with blown primers with some of the 115OTM ammo.

#8 ·
If it was me in your shoes I would not shoot any more of the ssa loads. You said you shot sixty rounds of the hornady with no issues. I would just shot hornady loads until you can figure out what is going on with the ssa stuff it sounds like the ammo is to hot.

#13 ·
I have experienced pierced primers with a batch SSA 110sph standard loads. I had two boxes of that lot #, ended up just pulling bullets, replaced the powder and primers. Not sure what the deal was but never had any other issues with their factory loads. Ive never had a pierced primer with Hornady or Federal factory loads.

#14 ·
Curious what the Hornady brass looks like. You said you had no issues. Did you look at the primers/case head for any pressure signs?

How about gas system length on the WC barrel. Carbine or Midlength? Buffer weight? Buffer tube length?

Can you post a picture of the SSA ammo box? Old style vs new style.

#15 ·
I had this problem with SSA batches before. no other brand did that. Hot stuff. brass ruined.
The thing is when the batches were right they produced submoa consistently. Go figure.
QC is not consistent.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.