6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering... if I get a spare bolt or even the entire BCG, and need to end up swapping it into my existing rifle, what do I need to do to make sure everything is GTG? Do I need Go/No-Go gauges? I was under the impression that all of these are made to SAAMI spec, so they should be within the correct range. Then I saw some posts about how barrels should be bought WITH matched bolts to ensure "correct headspace".

Shouldn't they automatically be correct, and only an OAL gauge measurement can be done if you are a reloader and want to see if there should be any slight change when it comes to setting seating depth of your rounds? Or am I overlooking something?

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Mark21 said:
I was wondering... if I get a spare bolt or even the entire BCG, and need to end up swapping it into my existing rifle, what do I need to do to make sure everything is GTG? Do I need Go/No-Go gauges? I was under the impression that all of these are made to SAAMI spec, so they should be within the correct range. Then I saw some posts about how barrels should be bought WITH matched bolts to ensure "correct headspace".

Shouldn't they automatically be correct, and only an OAL gauge measurement can be done if you are a reloader and want to see if there should be any slight change when it comes to setting seating depth of your rounds? Or am I overlooking something?
a Matching bolt is ideal if you want the absolute best accuracy. For anything else, I wouldn't worry about it as pretty much all parts are interchangable.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Paulo yet again for helping me out. Pretty soon we're going to have to sign some kind of consulting fee arrangement!

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Mark21 said:
Thanks Paulo yet again for helping me out. Pretty soon we're going to have to sign some kind of consulting fee arrangement!
:D :D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts