6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Premium Member
I got guns, you got guns, we all got guns! Free to the bone, please do not f**k with me.
3,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry, the 7.92x33mm Kurz was the original krout round.

So HMG has been making these in limited numbers for years now, but PSA wants a mass production line for them and other WW2 era firearms. Very cool.

What does everyone think of having one in 7.92x33 kurz vs the 7.62x39? Kurz is limited ammo of course, i only see some fmj out there.... but how about the performance between the two?

HMG has them for sale here, never knew... I probably would have bought one years ago.

· Registered
9,038 Posts
Sorry, the 7.92x33mm Kurz was the original krout round.

So HMG has been making these in limited numbers for years now, but PSA wants a mass production line for them and other WW2 era firearms. Very cool.

What does everyone think of having one in 7.92x33 kurz vs the 7.62x39? Kurz is limited ammo of course, i only see some fmj out there.... but how about the performance between the two?

HMG has them for sale here, never knew... I probably would have bought one years ago.

7.92 is the correct caliber but the famous 8 mm Mauser is actually the 7.92 x 57

· Registered
420 Posts
The rep said that they enlarged the magazine well to STANAG dimensions to allow variants to use the longer 7.62x39 and .223 etc cartridges. It will be interesting to see how many of the 7.92x33 Kurz versions since it is not common and generally expensive. I mean, this is not an exact replica of the original weapon, is more of a look-alike (although I bet we will see the classier word "tribute" used in marketing).

· Premium Member
I got guns, you got guns, we all got guns! Free to the bone, please do not f**k with me.
3,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The rep said that they enlarged the magazine well to STANAG dimensions to allow variants to use the longer 7.62x39 and .223 etc cartridges. It will be interesting to see how many of the 7.92x33 Kurz versions since it is not common and generally expensive. I mean, this is not an exact replica of the original weapon, is more of a look-alike (although I bet we will see the classier word "tribute" used in marketing).
So it doesn't operate like the original STG44? I know there's a threaded barrel and an adjustable gas block installed for supressed... and enlarging the mag well to accept different calibers doesn't change the functionality of the firearm, but how is it just a "look-a-like"? the internals are changed?

· Registered
420 Posts
My point is that there are enough differences between this and the original that it won't appeal to those who want an "all authentic STG-44". One of the main reasons to go through all the trouble to use a relatively rare and expensive cartridge like 7.92x33 is to maintain authenticity. This version is available in more commonly available cartridges and still looks very much like the original.
Yes the internals are changed, partly because materials and processes have changed since 1944. This is small scale production rather and large. Also they had to design the rifle to withstand the higher chamber pressures of 5.56/300 BO. That is why the "development stage" of this firearm was so long. The original trigger system had 207 parts, for goodness sake. Here is a discussion from 6 years ago that goes over some of this, shows some of the differences and has other interesting info:

· Premium Member
3,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ah ok, makes sense. Well I guess you could also say it's improved?

· Registered
420 Posts
It can definitely handle higher pressures and has the advantage of modern materials and machining techniques. The new gun had serious issues earlier in its life, though. Let's HOPE that everything has been ironed out and it can be indeed be considered "improved"! Only time and lots of trigger pulling will tell for certain.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts