6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was just taking a quick peek at the Palmetto website to see if there was anything I really had to give them my money for. I just spotted they now have a 7mm-08 upper for their line of AR-10's. My question is the laws regarding snapping an upper of any caliber other than 308 to a lower marked 308? Most of my AR-15 lowers are marked "multi", so never been concerned about the caliber of the barrel. My PSA AR-10 lower is marked 308. So is there issue of getting in trouble with the ATF having a barrel other than 308 on a 308 marked lower?

Here is the link for the upper. http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/catalog/product/view/id/21751/s/psa-20-rifle-length-7mm-08-1-9-ssk15-upper-with-bcg-and-charging-handle/category/4387/

·
Registered
6,957 Posts
nope, you are fine...change away.....once you get into the SBR category, make sure your barrel is clearly marked with the caliber(which they usually are but on some short barrels the marking can be covered by the hand guard

·
Super Moderator
11,790 Posts
Was just taking a quick peek at the Palmetto website to see if there was anything I really had to give them my money for. I just spotted they now have a 7mm-08 upper for their line of AR-10's. My question is the laws regarding snapping an upper of any caliber other than 308 to a lower marked 308? Most of my AR-15 lowers are marked "multi", so never been concerned about the caliber of the barrel. My PSA AR-10 lower is marked 308. So is there issue of getting in trouble with the ATF having a barrel other than 308 on a 308 marked lower?

Here is the link for the upper. http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/catalog/product/view/id/21751/s/psa-20-rifle-length-7mm-08-1-9-ssk15-upper-with-bcg-and-charging-handle/category/4387/
No. ATF doesn't care about what caliber is marked on your lower as long as the serial number hasn't been tampered with. Most guns don't even have a caliber marked anywhere besides the barrel.

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
I've been wondering if they were going to start releasing other calibers for their 308 AR platform. Hopefully they start selling just the 7-08 barrel soon since I can't afford the whole upper right now. I have plans to build this exact caliber next year. This is exciting news.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Good price except it has 5/16x24 (mistake?) threads, kind of small...hha, just wont cut it when most are 5/8x24....

·
Registered
6,957 Posts
Good price except it has 5/16x24 (mistake?) threads, kind of small...hha, just wont cut it when most are 5/8x24....
Must be a mistake, that would only leave a barrel wall thickness of .00225" ....wouldn't work....its gotta be 5/8x24 just a typo

·
Registered
20 Posts
If anyone tries one of these out I would really appreciate feedback as to how it performed. I just ordered two blemished pa-10 lowers today with the intent of putting together a 7mm-08 and .308.
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
11,790 Posts
You need to put it on a PSA lower though, not DPMS, fyi. I'm pretty certain the PSA lower is lighter than a DPMS anyway though.
PSA lowers are DPMS pattern. It will fit either just fine.

·
Registered
320 Posts
PSA lowers are DPMS pattern. It will fit either just fine.
No, that's not correct. The 308 AR platforms are not mix and match like the AR15. The PSA stuff is "DPMS pattern" but they don't necessarily fit to mix and match receivers. Heck, some DPMS stuff doesn't fit other DPMS for that matter, when we're talking about the 308 platform; they've changed things a few times over the years.

There are plenty of examples online of PSA receivers not fitting DPMS receivers if you search around. I did some swapping around between my PSA set and my bud's DPMS set; can't remember which combination was which, but one way didn't fit at all, another way fit but the charging handle hit the top of the lower.

·
Super Moderator
11,790 Posts
Strange but I have put DPMS uppers on PSA lowers with zero problems. The DPMS G II may not be interchangeable but the standard DPMS pattern should be.

·
Registered
320 Posts
They might fit, but it's not guaranteed. It may have gaps at the back of the upper sometimes too. Like I said, not all DPMS stuff is the same, yours must have been made to the same pattern PSA used.

·
Super Moderator
11,790 Posts
What ever you say man. For years there have been Armalite Pattern and DPMS pattern and pretty much everything out there was built on one or the other. Most were built to DPMS specs but if you say they are all different and some DPMS won't fit other DPMS then who am I to argue. The only ones I know of that are different than those two are the latest offering which is DPMS G II which is not compatible with either of the others. But again, not going to argue with you.

·
Registered
442 Posts
NOT Complaining .....

..... I like the 7mm-08 chambering. But was just wondering why PSA chose that one for the first. Also wondering what is coming next and when ?? (243Win,260Rem,etc ??)

Anybody ?? --- pruhdlr

·
Super Moderator
11,790 Posts
..... I like the 7mm-08 chambering. But was just wondering why PSA chose that one for the first. Also wondering what is coming next and when ?? (243Win,260Rem,etc ??)

Anybody ?? --- pruhdlr
They have been making the .308 for some time. I guess they figured that others were making a .243 so why not try something different.

·
Registered
4,879 Posts
jimmyjames,

You kind of did it backwards. I had three 308 uppers for my one DPMS lower, before I finally got another lower this week to go with my new upper.

Looks like the PSA lower is the lightest, followed by the DPMS. All other lowers are heavier.

But with two lowers you can build one carbine and one rifle, now that's sweet.

If you are getting stripped lowers you can just about put anything you want on them, carbine or rifle butt stocks.

carbine works better for hunting as it can be built much lighter, and like the AR10 PSA uses a stock AR15 carbine buffer. There are hundreds of AR15 buffers all much less $$$ than the DPMS special (short) carbine buffer.

The 7mm-08 chambering is a great hunting round!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Yeah, I figured that for $189, and free shipping I couldn't go wrong. (And now I have an excuse to build two). I've been a big fan of the 7-08 for years. All of my current ones are bolt guns, so I am pretty excited about the prospect of a 7-08 AR. Especially without spending a grand on the rifle alone.

I'm cautious about buying any first-year models, but it seems most PSA buyers are satisfied with their .308 purchases and I'm sure their 7-08 should run fine. Hopefully PSA will have a free shipping promo on uppers soon so I can spend some more $'s.

·
Registered
4,879 Posts
Yeh I think all of us here wait for free PSA shipping. I have a LOT of 6.8 but always worry about the "Greatest President" and what he will scare up.

They probably won't offer that barrel separate for a while, but you can stock up on good 7-08 ammo for now. If you reload I have thousands of once fired 308, which I think works for 7-08

Their 308 Federal 175 SMK is a dollar more right now, all my 308s prefer that round. But it is over a dollar a box to ship ammo, so free shipping makes me reach for my wallet!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts