6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
2,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
in no way marketing for PSA, just a heads up, they have the 16" FN barreled upper for 259.99 with free shipping. add a bcg, charging handle, and a lower and you have a decent rifle for not a ton of bucks. i keep mine out and handy at all times while the higher priced stuff comes out to play at the range. that's the lowest i've ever seen it offered

·
Registered
251 Posts
in no way marketing for PSA, just a heads up, they have the 16" FN barreled upper for 259.99 with free shipping. add a bcg, charging handle, and a lower and you have a decent rifle for not a ton of bucks. i keep mine out and handy at all times while the higher priced stuff comes out to play at the range. that's the lowest i've ever seen it offered
Wow! That's a great deal. I purchased mine a few months ago for $309, and that was the lowest price I had ever seen.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Funny you mention this, I just bought one, or ordered rather on Wednesday, which was 6-8. :) This will be my first venture into another caliber on the AR platform. I'm going to replace the FSB with an extended low-profile block and free float the hand guards, looking at the ALG- EMR. Pending on accuracy, which thus far I've heard has been good, I'll turn it into a hunting rig. Ordered a BCG from Aim Surplus for $99 and charging handle for $15. Complete upper for $375.97- shipped! Already have a complete PWS lower to put it on. Still need to find some magazines though.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Funny you mention this, I just bought one, or ordered rather on Wednesday, which was 6-8. :) This will be my first venture into another caliber on the AR platform. I'm going to replace the FSB with an extended low-profile block and free float the hand guards, looking at the ALG- EMR. Pending on accuracy, which thus far I've heard has been good, I'll turn it into a hunting rig. Ordered a BCG from Aim Surplus for $99 and charging handle for $15. Complete upper for $375.97- shipped! Already have a complete PWS lower to put it on. Still need to find some magazines though.
Check out 44mag.com for decently priced ASC 6.8 magazines. I bought some 10 and 15 round ASC mags for my PSA 6.8 upper, and I've had zero feeding issues. One of the 6 mags I ordered is a bit out of spec, making it tight in the mag well preventing it from dropping free unloaded, but not a major issue.

You might consider shooting it a bit before changing the gas block to free fload the hand guard. My thinking was similar, but my upper has been accurate enough I don't think I'm going to go that way. It's no sub MOA tack driver, but it outshoots an old Remington 740 that's been in the family since it was purchased new, and that 742 has killed a ton of deer.

·
Registered
3,832 Posts
NOW they do it after I blew my wad on their Memorial day sale!

A good solid 16" 6.8 would of been a good addition at that price! I gots me two 18"s about.

·
Registered
15 Posts
So, after receiving it, I'm thinking of getting rid of it. :a43: Of course, I haven't shot it, but in a way I feel like I'm settling for 2nd best if I keep it. My goal when I started down this road was to build a hunting rig, and of course I want accuracy to match my bolt rifles. Original thought was a Bison upper, and seeing his scratch and dent sale, if still available, #1 looks mighty tempting. While it's going to cost me more in the long run, I think I might be better of building or saving for what I want, instead of making a bunch of changes to what I have.

Better off shooting it first, or just selling it before firing? Should I expect the same accuracy as a Bison barrel or not even close? What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
So, after receiving it, I'm thinking of getting rid of it. :a43: Of course, I haven't shot it, but in a way I feel like I'm settling for 2nd best if I keep it. My goal when I started down this road was to build a hunting rig, and of course I want accuracy to match my bolt rifles. Original thought was a Bison upper, and seeing his scratch and dent sale, if still available, #1 looks mighty tempting. While it's going to cost me more in the long run, I think I might be better of building or saving for what I want, instead of making a bunch of changes to what I have.

Better off shooting it first, or just selling it before firing? Should I expect the same accuracy as a Bison barrel or not even close? What are your thoughts?
Bison makes a nice product, the only 6.8 better is ARP.
A lot have reported those PSA barrels are accurate, shoot it first.
My PSA 5.56 chrome lined FN barrel will shoot sub MOA

·
Registered
15 Posts
I may have to, now that you tell me the potential. I did pick up some ASC mags for it and a box of Hornady 110gr BTHP American Gunner (50 rounds). Should I be looking for different? I noticed locally there was a 20rd Hornady with the same 110gr BTHP, are they the same, just packaged in bulk?

Lastly, I do reload for my other calibers, I presume I could increase accuracy through that measure, possible FF hand guards as well?

Thank you!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts