6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
I and a friend hunted in a swamp in southern Georgia one time. We knew in advance about the mosquitos and took plenty of spray containing deet, the strongest we could get. It kept them from biting but not from swarming us. Walking beside my buddy, I could see a black veil of mosquitos following him like a cloud. When we stopped they descended upon us, even with the repellent, which we were continually reapplying. They would try to bite our fingernails and cuticles, anywhere we had missed with the spray. After a short while I gave up and came out, due the incessant buzzing in my ears driving me crazy. I can easily see how they could drain the life from anything unprotected.

·
Super Moderator
21,731 Posts
The ten years I worked up in the oil fields of Alaska, every summer we'd see caribou on a dead run, maddened by the torment of those bastages. I learned to hate the month of July in the Arctic.

·
Super Moderator
11,850 Posts
Until you have lived in the woods in AK in the summer you know nothing about mosquitoes.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The ten years I worked up in the oil fields of Alaska, every summer we'd see caribou on a dead run, maddened by the torment of those bastages. I learned to hate the month of July in the Arctic.
Have seen films of Alaska's skeeters.............so thick seagulls fly in for miles around and just walk around in the swarms with their mouths open until it's full then swallow the skeeters.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bow hunted local refuge here..........always rained a month before the season. Standing water 6" deep for month. Skeeters were so thick, had to wear head nets....that only stopped the stupid ones. The smart would get in and invariably crawl up a nostril or ear canal. The many cotton mouths were not a major issue.

·
Registered
23 Posts
They are on full force in Louisiana for sure. Working a contract in Alexandria and its all i can do to get in my truck without losing a pint.
Take this as a warning: when I was young I fished on the BASS tour. One tournament in south Texas I forgot the skeeter dope and went in a wooded cove with no wind. The big girls were jumping in the boat pre spawn so me and the other guy stayed in there for an hour. Placed 4th and got a big check. 5 days later I was in ICU with 105 temp and west nile.... not worth it.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yeah....west nile fever........baaad news. glad your survived..........um, you did survive din ya? 😉

1 - 11 of 11 Posts